Author Topic: LAN Party Support?  (Read 10072 times)

Offline Lochiel

• Salutes: 2
    • [GsC]
    • View Profile
LAN Party Support?
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »
Sorry if this info is already some place obvious, but the Search functions habit of stripping white spaces and matching partial words stymied me.

I'm hosting a LAN part in a few weeks. GoI:O is one of the games that I'd love to get played, however we are limited my ISP bandwidth, etc. etc.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with GoI:O in a LAN environment, or if there is anything I can do to mitigate the bandwidth issues like hosting locally.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: LAN Party Support?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:23:00 pm »
GOIO runs via dedicated servers in parts of the world. There is no public server app that you could host a dedicated server on or a LAN server. Plus you also need Steam connection for it.

So you are pretty much limited to dealing with your bandwith. If you don't have the highest speed, may want to see if your ISP has higher speeds then switch the plan for it. If I talked to mine they'd gladly boost mine to the higher speed for a month if I pay for it. But mine isn't a major telco. Bigger the ISP the less flexible they are but it can't hurt to check.

I feel your pain though, GOIO really needs it's own personal hosting setup. It would do wonders for growing the game. Specially if modders started digging into it and we could have some pretty insane server mods.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:37:14 pm »
GOIO runs via dedicated servers in parts of the world. There is no public server app that you could host a dedicated server on or a LAN server. Plus you also need Steam connection for it.

So you are pretty much limited to dealing with your bandwith. If you don't have the highest speed, may want to see if your ISP has higher speeds then switch the plan for it. If I talked to mine they'd gladly boost mine to the higher speed for a month if I pay for it. But mine isn't a major telco. Bigger the ISP the less flexible they are but it can't hurt to check.

I feel your pain though, GOIO really needs it's own personal hosting setup. It would do wonders for growing the game. Specially if modders started digging into it and we could have some pretty insane server mods.

Don't encourage the boarding mods! :P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:45:08 pm by Keon »

Offline Lochiel

• Salutes: 2
    • [GsC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »
To answer my own question:

I've currently got 8 people playing Guns at the same time on my crappy ComCast internet. No problems at all. I'd say GoI:O is fairly LAN Party compatible.

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:58:30 am »
To answer my own question:

I've currently got 8 people playing Guns at the same time on my crappy ComCast internet. No problems at all. I'd say GoI:O is fairly LAN Party compatible.

Unfortunately some LAN parties have a shitty internet connection or no connection at all. My own connection should be able to handle at least a full ship, maybe two, but another LAN party I attended we had over 500 ping each. Not fun.

I'm in favour of a LAN mode. I suggested it ages ago in the forums somewhere.

Heaps of other games allow you to host a listen or dedicated server. Source servers are a piece of cake: download the files, forward some ports in your router, start the server. A listen server is even easier.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:00:08 am by Jazzza »