Author Topic: Language training days?  (Read 20354 times)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Language training days?
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:54:26 am »
Ahoy!

All of these days were I have russians as my allies or aboard my crew, I couldn't muster the confidence to ruin their language by pronouncing the words some russians have translated and  transcribed to the latin alphabet for us here. I lack a general understanding of russian phonetics, and I guess that happens to just anyone who looks at the translations we had here - I remember we had French and German.

Now English is the Lingua Franca here obviously, and I have no intention to threaten that status :P The recognition and support "we" get with the Community Boards, etc. is already great, but I think it could get interesting to do some steps towards profiting more from the internationality of the community. Not with strengthening the positions of the language blocks, but with interchanging them.

What I'm thinking of is Matches much like the Training ones, only that in this case the aim would be training language skills in communication aboard. More for the sake of fun and hilarity than for actually learning something. I guess that'd be quite unique for Online/ generally Multiplayergames and could surely look good for advertizing the game further if it works out well.

My idea would be that we put one native speaker on a ship that is fluent in English and can thus control and help the efforts of his respective crew of communicating in his first language. Imagine telling your scary russian captain that there's a enemy ship at starboard (in your struggling russian), and before he turns your ship around he corrects your spelling.

Anyone interested?

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Language training days?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:48 am »
Heck I'm game.... This should be fun... and I've been needing to learn some Russian :P (For work purposes)..... Though I don't know how 'Contact 6 O'clock Low!" would have any relevance at work :P... The only downside for me, is the timezone difference.... I'm at work when most of you guys are playing :(

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:45 am »
I'd join in, too. Having fun during a learning session would be much better than simply using a translator for a few blunt words, like repair, shoot, balloon, etc.

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:21:37 pm »
Kyren, as (suddenly) i'm russian-speaking person it's not a problem to help you with some learning. The thing we need is time and few more interested to go. Probably running this event on dayoffs will be most comfortable to everyone, excepting Saturday evening by reason of The Cogs

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »
My availability to play is some what limited, but I would love to be part of this. Especially if I have English speaking crew that don't listen to my instructions I can start yelling at them in Russian.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »
My availability to play is some what limited, but I would love to be part of this. Especially if I have English speaking crew that don't listen to my instructions I can start yelling at them in Russian.

This.... Salute!

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:41:20 pm »
If I'm playing I'd love to join. Can't wait to hone my Russian.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:01:22 pm »
The idea of this is just too fun

I only know three russian words. Two being hello and the other being... well it's only usefull if you're mad at someone

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:12 pm »
I'm so down for this!

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:19:52 am »
Great that we've got so many interested people!  I guess our problem currently is that only Ataris has volunteered to teach, and I can only volunteer for German and Spanish which we aren't really in need of now.

You'd know of any more russian players to help us out with that, Ataris?

Offline Ataris

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:03 pm »
FisherEx and Ailen are in
searching for some more...

Offline symph

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:43:16 pm »
Well, that looks interesting. I could help with russian.

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 05:30:42 pm »
We'll have to unearth that old post with the few Russian words and sentences we should know on a ship and get to memorizing those, before we start that event! I'll skim the old forum tomorrow and see just how much information we've got there. Today it's a little late for GMT +1 :P

Offline Ataris

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
We'll have to unearth that old post with the few Russian words and sentences we should know on a ship and get to memorizing those, before we start that event! I'll skim the old forum tomorrow and see just how much information we've got there. Today it's a little late for GMT +1 :P
no need it digging the old forum, i made a better post here:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,97.msg582.html#msg582

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »
Great, even with the phonetics included :) Considering that we'll need your help and if possible, FisherEx, Aileen and Symph as well, which days of the week and times can you generally play? Then we can try to find something suitable, practice and announce it!