Author Topic: Gun stat line - adding traverse in Degrees  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Meriwether

• Salutes: 8
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Gun stat line - adding traverse in Degrees
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:45:34 am »
Hello all, and welcome to my first GoIO forum posting.

Experienced players will know that various guns have different traverse characteristics - that is, lateral movement on a pivot, or simply swivel.
I believe newer players would benefit from showing the weapon's traverse to better allow them to make informed decisions on gun location selection.
I propose adding the gun's traverse in degrees (such as 45° or 15°) beneath the weapon's ammunition count, within the blueprint weapon stats.

Example:
I have a fondness for Junkers.  One strength of my Junker is that with a Banshee on the front, a Whirlwind on the lower side-deck and an Echidna on the upper side-deck, all three share a firing arc - the Banshee has a splendidly wide traverse, allowing for a so-called "trifecta" in optimal attacking situations.  If I was to mount a Mercury on the front, it would not be possible.
All of this is common sense, but newer players such as myself could likely use the hard information, rather than having to learn by various Practice matches, or on the battlefield.

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:50:04 am by Meriwether »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Gun stat line - adding traverse in Degrees
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:16:40 am »
I salute you for this sir.  I've always wanted this info, just never thought to ask.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:19 am »
Better yet, visually show the arc when the slot's highlighted on the ship.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:08:27 am »
This would be even more useful if each ship blueprint also included the orientation of each weapon mount relative to the fore-aft line.  There are a couple of mounts on ships that I have a niggling suspicion aren't at either 0/180 or 90/270 degrees relative to the ship.

Offline Meriwether

• Salutes: 8
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:16 am »
Thank you, gentlemen.  I know it is a small change, but one that would benefit the community at large.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:58 am »
I agree. Adding a top- down perspective in the blueprints, and highlighting the gun's arc would be extremely useful. To go further, comparing the weapon's distances would be cool, too, but would probably be hard to show. Maybe, a separate area could show the distance as a bar graph or something. I dunno, I'm a visual kind of guy. Just seeing numbers doesn't help me very much with comparing guns to one another.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:46 am »
Maybe you could turn pages to see more blueprints of the ship from different angles, like a real draft.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:47 pm »
Once we get to 3D ship customization we might be able to do something like this.  It's not happening for a while though.  However, it's definitely on the list.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:52:07 pm »
I am so looking forward to ship customization. Last night I was online with some friends and they started talking about how great it would be if you could customize your ships with hats like in TF2. It was a silly conversation, but the sooner you make some whale motif for the Galleon, the sooner Lord Dick Tim will shut up about his Sky Whale*.

*I make no guarantees Lord Dick Tim will ever shut up about his Sky Whale.