Author Topic: Wave Front Ammunition (introducing knockback to ammotypes/new guns)  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
A clip that removes all damage but replaces that damage with a small amount of mine-style knockback, scaled to the weapon's original damage. I get the feeling that this would be difficult to implement, irritating and potential make a mess all over gameplay but I just couldn't resist bringing it up.
Assuming technical issues didn't hold it back, there could be a variety of balancing adjustments to keep it in line:
  • less angular force (so less spin) than mine hits.
  • destruction of gun (preferably on a smaller scale than lochnagar to make light guns able to use it)
  • reduced firerate
  • reduced projectile speed
  • arming time increase/add arming time to all guns (assumedly pre-armed hits would do knockback scaled to the pre-armed damage)
  • turns shots an eye-catching neon blue

The idea is that this would add a (hilarious) new way for long range builds to prevent enemies from closing, make brawl engagements far more confusing and potentially interesting and make gunners more fun and useful by adding a utility ammo-type that would be best utilised with 3 ammo slots.

*name may not be particularly appropriate from a scientific perspective; I am acting under the assumption that having lost the definitions to time, the denizens of the post-apocalypse choose their science words based on how they sound rather than what they mean. But the name is not important.

Alternative Idea:
if adding it to every gun as ammo is too difficult, whether it be due to raycast gun mechanics, balance concerns, etc. etc. then how about giving it a whole gun of its own? Non-compulsory suggested name: the Hermes Wave Accelerator! A heavy gun that releases a beam of force that pushes a ship about enough to neutralise half the thrust of a head-on charging Pyramidion. Large clipsize (maybe 10 seconds of pushing) but extensive reload time makes it a weapon that has to be carefully and tactically spammed. As a beam weapon, maybe the enemy ship should push back on yours, meaning the highest thrust and mass will dictate which ship is actually being pushed.
Particularly with beam-narrowing ammo like Heavy Clip the force should be possible to apply with the precision necessary to spin enemy ships round.

Really, the important thing about these ideas is they could make moonshine significantly more popular, which could never be a bad thing. Unless the distillery runs out. Which would be a very bad thing, maybe I should rethink these ideas...

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Wave Front Ammunition (introducing knockback to ammotypes/new guns)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:37:22 am »
Mines allready do a good job at keeping brawlers away.

But it is mostly the only WEAPON that does that. I once suggested, not as a thread but in a thread a new heavy weapon that is basically something of a cannon, that does impact damage and makes ships go WHOOP like hit by a mine.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Wave Front Ammunition (introducing knockback to ammotypes/new guns)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:58 am »
I believe muse are working on a new weapon "code name beanbag" that will implement this mechanic, as an ammo type i think it would be illogical on guns like the flamethrower and flare gun.