Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 0 - Brackets  (Read 21609 times)

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
"The Cogs" Week 0 - Brackets
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:03:41 pm »
Forgive the brief post, but I'm sick and suffering right now. Quite a lot. Kill me.

Here we are: The first week of The Cogs... Sort of. Due to some balancing issues (and quite a few complaints, as we've all seen), we'll be having a little shuffle before we get The Cogs underway... Which I'm sure will please some of you and offend others. Sorry about that.

Anyway, some of you may have noticed the "Current Seed" column on the teams document and been wondering what it's for. Well, it's quite simple. It's a team's comparative statistical standing with the other teams. It's what Week 0 is based on, in a nutshell.

Before we get into The Cogs proper, we first have to populate them... And so we'll be playing a series of placement matches to determine the starting position for each team... Excited yet? I am.

As standard Cogs pairings, each match will be a best of 1 on a predetermined deathmatch map. Teams will have to throw everything they've got into these matches to prove themselves worthy of their spot on The Cogs

So, without further bluster, let's see the brackets!

Match 1 will see Fjords champions The Gentlemen facing off against Merry Northern Storm, a reformation of Zill's Merry Men. Both of these teams proved themselves during the last tournament, but now they'll find themselves torn from the frigid northern wastelands and thrust out into the early morning fog in the daunting Duel At Dawn. I'm not sure about you, but I can't wait to watch this match.

To the victor go the spoils: The coveted top spot on the Cogs for Week 1 while the vanquished will be relegated to the Challenger's Cog. It's all to play for.

Match 2 features community favorites The Paddling take on CROW Corvus, the reformed competitive edge of the Kings Gambit team in the treacherous Canyon Ambush. Within the confines of the rocky bluffs, will the Ducks be able to escape the deadly aggression of the Crows? We'll see.

The victor of this matchup will take the third spot on the challenger's cog to face off against the Champion on Week 1 for their chance to rise to the top, while the defeated will be forced to defend themselves during Week 1 from the hungry upcomers... Neither teams wants to be put on the defensive so early on, so you can expect a fierce match from both the quackers and the squawkers.

Match 3 will see the two newcomers face off on the arid dustscape of Battle on the Dunes. VvV Comunidade will face down The Pastafarians to establish their early dominance. With both teams running as relative unknowns, almost anything could happen. Who knows what the newcomers might decide to pull out for their first match? All we can know for sure is that neither will back down easily. They're prepped for a fight and neither team wants to lose their first competitive Icarus match.

Match 4 will be the true test of the newcomers, however. To whomever proves triumphant on the Dunes, that frozen wasteland awaits. The proving ground that is the Northern Fjords await their next victims... And who better to stand as a guardian of The Cogs and beyond than the esteemed Museosaurs. The Muse team themselves. Cursed with possibly the worst luck of any team so far, the Muse team were knocked out in what was almost certainly the most difficult group stage within the Fjords tournament. Returning to the scene of their failure with the burden of not having won a single match against a Cogs team (Officially), we can be certain that the devs have more than a few tricks up their sleeves to give the newcomers a run for their money.

The victor of Match 4 will get their shot at the Challenger's Cog on Week 1, to gun for glory against the established teams and and prove themselves a force to be reckoned with, while the vanquished will slink away into The Cogs, to rotate in shame.

That's Week 0 in a nutshell. Here's hoping I recover enough by the 16th to get a chance to watch these matches... Of course, I could also be dead by then. It certainly feels that way.

Either way, we're set for some interesting matches...

-Swallow

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 0 - Brackets
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:20:11 pm »
All these match ups look really good.  I'm almost more interested in watching them than playing in them.  Will all of these be livecast?

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:21:55 pm »
All these match ups look really good.  I'm almost more interested in watching them than playing in them.  Will all of these be livecast?

Of course. Each of the matches'll be streamed and cast by Qwerty... And me too, probably. Unless I'm too sick. Did I mention I'm sick? It feels like I should mention it. A lot.

Offline AquaMac

• Salutes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Winter Moon Entertaiment
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:01 am »
Will all of these be matches be one at a time Swallow, or done at the same time?

I am with Captain Smollett, I like watching them as well. Nice write up. Gets me all hyped up.

It's ok if it is to late, but our team is Corvus Marauders, you can knock off the crow part since that is just our clan ship prefix for the entire clan.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:15:51 am »
Will all of these be matches be one at a time Swallow, or done at the same time?

They'll be done one at a time. As Swallow said, Qwerty is streaming each individual one.

Offline AquaMac

• Salutes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Winter Moon Entertaiment
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:21:26 am »
Thanks.

I also hope you feel better Swallow.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:22:22 am »
Yeah, hope you get better. We don't want Qwerty having to stream alone.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:38:04 am »
Yeah, hope you get better. We don't want Qwerty having to stream alone.

Heh, I'm sure he'll be glad to get rid of me, truth be told. And yes, the matches are going to be done one at a time... The Fjords format meant we had to bunch up a whole lot of matches... And I'm not sure I'd really want to watch most of them, but these four I DO want to watch. Paddling's long range talent on a closed map. (Will we see carronade?) The Gentlemen being hunted by Zill in the Dawn fog, the two newcomers facing off as unknowns and the potential resurgence of the Muse team! I can't wait.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:51 am »
Speaking of Canyon Ambush, the Crows actually pulled off a strategy (sitting at the back of the map) with quadruple mercs there yesterday, against a ship with Zill, me and Yiski, and another ship that may or may not have been captained by Magellan. They beat us 5-3. So you never know, the Ducks could pull something off long range. Not that I know what we're doing. I actually don't.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:12:46 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:07:45 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAzdbfFJeQ

it is going to be an epic fight :D

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:09:23 am »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:13:12 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:46 pm »
i pretty much appreciate the way brackets were done, nice battles are coming!
When the exact time of each match will be known? It's a bit crucial for me 'cause of time difference

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:05:53 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAzdbfFJeQ

it is going to be an epic fight :D

Nice video sir. Ducks are very protective of their own. It's definitely going to be epic.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 12:39:06 am »
a big thanks to the Gentlemen for playing with us yesterday, you gave us some tough competition we can use that today.

also a big good luck to the paddling.

May the best team win this one tonight, no matter what I think both team deserves to win.

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:05 pm »
One more question about the Cogs - who will sign the map to play on?

Just thinking it would be rather fair if the contenders would choose the place to challenge the champions (or the team from the upper cog)