Author Topic: Asia/Australia Players Looking for Competitive Team  (Read 21235 times)

Offline Gadzoooks

• Salutes: 0
    • [‽]
    • View Profile
Asia/Australia Players Looking for Competitive Team
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:41:18 am »
My friends and I have been playing this game for a while now and we're eager to enter the GoI competitive scene, but we have no idea what it's like over there, nor do we have enough players as of now to form a team for ourselves. We're wondering if there are any competitive teams recruiting within the Asia/Australia areas, and if so, we'd like to join you guys as a crew.

Our current roster is a small group of 5 players, 3 of us have prior experience in competitive gaming in a few seasons of Team Fortress 2's UGC league and we can generally work under pressure. We also make heavy use of Mumble for in-game communications, and we operate from our own Mumble server. We are currently based in Singapore, timezone at +8GMT.

If there are any other questions with regard to any qualifications that I might not have mentioned, do ask! I am  contactable over Steam at ryaneyj, or through pms.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Asia/Australia Players Looking for Competitive Team
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:05:18 pm »
I'm not sure about recruiting, but Ducks have 5 Australian players which I'd wager is more than all the other clans combined.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Are you counting yourself as Australian these days? I mean your sleep hours mirror there. However, the Ducks do have quite the Australian and just in general Oceania contingent. If you seem on, try and play some with us.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:46:01 pm »
There are many Australasian and Asian players across a bunch of different clans, Ducks being one.  I think what Squash and Sammy are saying is that many GoI clans are borderless and accept people from all different countries and timezones - or should I say accept people regardless of country or timezone.  I would try to play with people from different clans in game when you are usually on and see which clan your game style fits best and talk to people from there (but that's just my style).

I know you and your friends seem to mostly play Oceania servers, but for competitive play you are probably going to end up playing more European and American servers, so try to find which of those is best for you (European should be ok I assume) as you will need to agree with other competitive captains on which servers to play.  There is definitely lag on servers across the world, but its really not as bad as you would experience with the same ping on a TF2 server.  In GMT+8, tournaments would probably be about 12am - 7am I think, but as long as you can work a reasonable time to fit for training with other clan members you should be fine.

Offline Gadzoooks

• Salutes: 0
    • [‽]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:01:36 pm »
@Sammy

We'd generally consider ourselves Asia players, but since the community is more or less non-existent here, Australia is the next closest place for us to head over to where the ping wouldn't screw us over (would be estimated to be around 90-ish as and when Muse gets some dedicated servers in Australia), so we generally try to hang around there when we play because we get a little more traffic in our lobby that way.

@ramjam

Ah, alright, thank you for the info! :) I didn't realise that it worked that way, I'll have to check up with my guys on whether we're okay with the server locations and timing before we apply to a team, then.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:00:29 am »
@ramjam

Ah, alright, thank you for the info! :) I didn't realise that it worked that way, I'll have to check up with my guys on whether we're okay with the server locations and timing before we apply to a team, then.

To the best of my knowledge that seems to be what happens, but someone more involved with the competitive scene might be able to correct me.

btw.  I usually play on servers from around the world with pings ranging from 220 - 350.  Sometimes they are laggy, sometimes not, seems to depend on the server.  I don't think I have ever gotten a ping under 100ms though.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:53 am »
Are you counting yourself as Australian these days?

I'm a citizen! I pledged allegiance to the Queen and everything.

Offline Andrewki

• Salutes: 1
    • [TAW]
    • View Profile
    • TAW.net
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »
The Art of Warfare [TAW] has a group of Oceanic players of ~10 people.

We would love to have you as a part of our community.

If your interested, check out our main recruitment post here for more info and details on how to join: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1309.html

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:07 am »
Ya I know TAW has the biggest Aussie community. The Gents have one lonely Aussie in the form of Cheesy Crackers. I'd also love to form an Australian sub section of the Gents but obviously TAW may be the best choice for an established Aussie clan :)!

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:09:37 am »
The Gents have one lonely Aussie in the form of Cheesy Crackers.
Aussie Asian : P And I think there was one other Aussie guy, or maybe I'm thinking of a different clan

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 08:23:30 am »
My mistake!

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:38:15 am »
Oh hey I just noticed it's Gadzooks who started this thread!... ah the good ol' days of hunting (Not stalking constantly) you down because you were one of the only bounties to come online for my timezone <3

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:12 am »
asian/australian group?

The moment "Guns of Icarus" becomes "Guns of Starcraft"

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:03 am »
asian/australian group?

GomTV picks up GOIO as its newest game. Urz, Brick, Papa and I head to South Korea to become the casting crew for it. #wildestfantasies

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:33 pm »
asian/australian group?

GomTV picks up GOIO as its newest game. Urz, Brick, Papa and I head to South Korea to become the casting crew for it. #wildestfantasies

Don't forget the prize money from tournaments... Yes please...