Author Topic: Support Your Local Aerodrome  (Read 15803 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Support Your Local Aerodrome
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:41 pm »
Theres been some talk amongst the Bully Boys about wanting to host our own event. I drew up an idea and tossed it around. Got interest but not enough critiques which I wanted. I don't have the background in designing these things. I just tossed an idea together in spare time. So, I'm bringing it into here for the community to tear into.

Have at it!

Support Your Local Aerodrome Tournament

What is it?:

Support Your Local Aerodrome is a battle for resources. Teams will take sides in a resource war. They will fly for Aerodromes on both sides of the conflict. There is no individual team winner, only a faction. Teams however, can earn prizes and badges for their participation and for how well they do.

Story behind it:

Anglean side: Winter has arrived and after lackluster summer raids, Anglean families are desperate for supplies and resources to make it through the winter. The Republic has issued a call for a raiding offensive into Yeshan lands. Will you rise up to save your people from the cold? To put food on their tables? This is life or death, we cannot afford to lose for the sake of our people!

Yesha side: For the empire to advance into new lands, it must have resources! The winter is harsh and so we must be vigilant in maintaining our resources till we can begin our military campaigns in the spring. Our spies have indicated the Anglean mongrels are launching a massive campaign to rob our empire of precious resources. We cannot allow them to succeed! The Yeshan way is the only way! Lets show these dogs their rightful place!

How does it work?:

Teams:

Teams Register to fly for two factions (Names just placeholders for the moment):

Anglean Flying Corps
or
Yesha Imperial Air Service

The first three spots for each faction will be on a first come first serve setup. After that, teams can only request factions but organizers will ultimately decide which team goes where.
Teams however, can choose their own Aerodrome squadron number or squadron name. Ex: YIAS No.5 Squadron or Northern Muraders.

This allows for smaller clans which don't have the members, to ally with a larger who might have enough to field two ships, but not three. Both will fly under one Aerodrome name.

Large clans able to field multiple teams, must split their teams up for each faction. We don't want a faction imbalance where all of one clan goes to one side and then that side wins by a landslide.

Should participants be greater in number than can run each week, they will go on a rotating schedule based on signup time. So signing up early will get you in action sooner. Everyone gets to fight and everyone gets to help their team win.

Participation rewards:

Participants get a bronze badge symbolizing their enlistment in either faction.

Teams which secure the most resources by the end get a special silver badge. Ships that score the highest kill counts also get a silver badge.

The faction which wins the event gets a special gold medal badge.

The winner of the final battle between the top teams gets a platinum badge. Regardless of whether their faction wins or not.

Other prizes, dunno.

Match Setup:

Matches are best of one CP battles.

How to win it:

Each battle has resources being tabulated. Both winner and loser counts will matter as the totals go into a grand point total which decides the winning faction and rewards.

Kills will also matter. Kills will count as a scavenged resource and will be worth 10 points each. May be a cap on total kills, debating this.

Maps:

This will be a 3v3 tournament. Anglean Raiders, Raid on Refinery, and Desert Scrap will be the map choices. Should another be added, it will be decided by poll thread if it is to be included in the tournament.

Maps will be decided by the organizers. Each will get played at least once per week. A max of 3 battles per week will take place. Teams will rotate around and will not be playing the same map every week.

Time limit:

As CP battles can sometimes run long, there will be a limit of 1hr (maybe less?) for battles. When the hour is up, the match will be stopped. Point totals will be tabulated. Winner will be decided based on those.

The event will run for one month (more?). At the end of the month the top two teams from each faction will duke it out in one final showdown.

Casters:

If matches are not casted live, they will be recorded and rebroadcast later.

Scorekeepers:

Scorekeepers will have the task of keeping track of resource totals and kill counts during a battle. It will then be pooled at the end of the event.

Loadout rules and Restrictions:

None for loadout or ships. Players can alternate on other teams within their own faction but not cross faction. Only one alternate per ship.

If an entire ship is unable to make an event, another faction ship can fill in for it. If they are scheduled for another week, they will be rotated out of the later week with the team they filled in for. A ship can only rotate once during the event. If another is required then a mercenary boat will be brought in.

------------

So yeah. Tournament which emphasizes not so heavily on individual teams but on faction. Would tie somewhat into game lore.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Support Your Local Aerodrome
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:38 pm »
Oh god this sounds utterly brilliant. It sounds a tad complex when it comes to score and such but otherwise an interesting sounding event for the community.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:05:40 pm »
Yeah, think score refinement is needed. I'd be worried one side would go into the last week and be so far ahead in points that the week wouldn't matter. But with teams rotating, you could have one strong week and one not so strong week. Just dunno if it would balance out. Also be dependent on signups and the number of teams available to fly.

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »
Is there any reason in particular not to include more or all factions? I know us Knights and GwTh, also OVW I believe, all operate within the Fjord Baronies is why I ask.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:55:24 pm »
Day/time?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
Day/time?
Pretty sure that it's only in the planning stage at this point, and Gilder's just asking for feedback on the idea and ruleset.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:10:36 pm »
Oh! Well I like it, it's about time we've had a 3v3CP tournament. Having said that, Gilder you might want to do a little testing on Desert Scrap. I'm a little worried that if two competitive teams square off on that map it would literally never end.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:50:53 pm »
I thought about Baronies but then we'd have three factions and it may splinter the teams more. Keeping it simple with Anglea vs Yesha may work best. Ideally it would be great to have multiple factions all going at it but that will be coming in Adventure Mode I bet.

Yeah I thought about Scrap, hence the time limit section. That and I've done 2hr battles on the new Anglean. If the time limit is set then no matter what the score the match is called and the points tabulated. If no points were scored then it would go by kills which would be scavenged resources. So there would be two ways to help your faction if you couldn't cap. Matches that end in a draw would not necessarily mean they'd be a loss.

Yes I'm just wanting feedback on it. Specially from tournament organizers. Urz, Qwerty, etc. If its a feasible idea..I'd like to run with it and get a functional 3v3 CP event running. Then take it from there and say...when Muse adds more maps, move the locale to maybe Arashi vs Guild.

Another idea I had running for it was bringing 4v4 play in for the finale. Take the top ships on both sides and duke it out in 4v4. But 4v4 is always ehhh. People I'm sure would want to run Galleons and then it would be a whole new world of pain for not only the competitors but also casters.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:07 pm »
3 v 3 tourney including CP. Heck yeah. However, you've asked for some critique.

I think it would probably be better to allow a clan putting in two teams to have them on the same faction, if not force them to do so. Having a clan straddle the competition could cause accusations and fears about throwing games. Also the without allowing subs across factions, subs would be next to impossible. Allowing a clan to give more than three ships to a faction could also help with smaller clans finding that third ship. In fact, that gives me what I think is a good idea.

How about when a clan signs up for event, the simply pledge ships to the faction and then once the factions are finalized in size, the squadrons can be created. 3 v 3 tourneys are simply not prepared for by individual clans as the overwhelming event type is 2 v 2. I think allowing flexibility could be a good way to overcome this.

Now, the 10 points per kill, I really can't speak for whether that is too high or too low. Perhaps we should try some testing to figure out how many kills happen during a CP match.

Now would this be an event at a dedicated weekly time/time decided on by organizers, or would it be a both teasm agreeing to meet at a certain time. I would highly suggest avoiding the latter as its already hard enough to get 16 players to agree to a time, 24 is easily much more difficult.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:16:19 am »
Exactly what I was looking for Sammy. I didn't think about that. I'm just thinking of ways to balance it for each faction so one faction isn't lopsided. Didn't think about the fears of throwing games.

Only other idea I had to make the balancing happen was to just pool everyone and then randomly dish out teams to each faction. But I wasn't nuts about that because I'm sure some wouldn't want to be forced to fly for one faction or another.

I'd like to see as much flexibility as possible so smaller teams can throw a ship in and still help contribute to the goal of winning the event.

The kill points...yeah I thought about multiple numbers and it really comes down to how grindy the match gets trying to cap points. If it was say 25-50 per kill then it could potentially equal a lot of excess points and then teams could literally just ignore points and go for kills. I also thought up maybe a point cap limit for scavenged points. Say 100 max per round from scavenged kills. I just don't know if that would solve it because it would be nice if a team that was falling behind could help make up a deficit by getting a few more kills.

Time and organizing, thats a good question. I'd personally like more of a set time, or if not one day, do more than one. I haven't cared that much for these arrange time events, but if people wanted those then so be it.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 01:32:44 pm »
I'm a huge fan of this idea and think it should definitely be organised.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 06:07:26 pm »
Yeah we're going to have a discussion soon regarding making this happen.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:10:10 am »
That's great news Gilder :) I look forward to seeing what the results of the discussion are. I wasn't to keen on the idea to begin with but the more I re-read your proposal, the more it grows on me :)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
Let me know if you want the organizational support of the Ducks. I really want to see this take off the ground.

the more it grows on me
Like a beard!

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 04:19:23 am »
if the ducks are playing, TFD will be there for a title rematch