Author Topic: Good Beers  (Read 29917 times)

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Good Beers
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:01 am »
Yup Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin isn't bad. It's actually owned by MillerCoors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon_(beer)

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:52 pm »

This is why I hate Blue Moon. It would be a very good alternative to entirely-crap-beers if it didn't cost about as much for a 6-pack as a real craft brew. The fact is, it's just more Coor's swill, and not worth the price.

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 12:31:10 pm »

This is why I hate Blue Moon. It would be a very good alternative to entirely-crap-beers if it didn't cost about as much for a 6-pack as a real craft brew. The fact is, it's just more Coor's swill, and not worth the price.

And that's why I don't drink their regular stuff.  Their seasonals however are pretty decent (with the exception of the agave one, that was awful).

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 12:38:10 pm »

Agreed. Then again, I avoid Blue Moon because, in addition to this, I haven't found a beer they make that really fits my tastes. But I'm a bit of a beer snob, so that's somewhat understandable.  :D

Offline dragonmere

• [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 12:38:52 pm »
If you are encouraged to add any kind of fruit to a beer, it's not a good beer. :)

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
If you are encouraged to add any kind of fruit to a beer, it's not a good beer. :)

A man after my own heart, I see.  :P

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:46 am »
I love pumpkin beer. My favorites are Southern Tier's Pumking, Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale, and Harpoon's UFO Pumpkin.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 01:03:47 am »

A man after my own heart, I see.  :P

Agreed. I'm not a fan of pumpkin to begin with so I definitely don't like it in my beer.

Offline dragonmere

• [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:41 am »
I was actually talkin' 'bout this:

I've never heard of putting a chunk of pumpkin in beer...

I like to have a few pumpkin beers during the season. My main problem is the fact that they release them so damn early. I want one NOW, but I can only find Christmas Ales...

Surette's pumpkin beer choices are good. Southern Tier's Pumking is excellent bottled, and amazing on tap. I had come across an "old batch" of Chatoe Rogue's First Growth Pumpkin Patch. It was supposedly a year old, so it only cost ~$4 for a 750ml bottle, instead of like $10. It was far better than the "fresh" batch. I really regret not picking up an entire case, cause I could be enjoying one now :(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:46:49 am by dragonmere »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »
Troegs Java Head is my current pick. (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/694/52128)

It's a stout brewed with coffee beans. Very nice in both presentation and taste. Plus I'm not sure exactly how much caffeine makes it into the beer from the coffee beans, but it feels like more than none to me. Caffeine plus 7.5%abv equals fun. It's definitely in my top 3 of dark beers. Plus, since I usually tend towards super-hoppy IPAs, a stout I really enjoy is a nice change of pace.

I'm late to this thread but I just happened to be in Harrisburg and Hershey PA last weekend and had a beautiful dark Troeg dead reckoning for the first time.  I'm surprised I haven't seen their stuff around before but I'll definitely be looking for it now.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 11:03:36 pm »
I'm late to this thread but I just happened to be in Harrisburg and Hershey PA last weekend and had a beautiful dark Troeg dead reckoning for the first time.  I'm surprised I haven't seen their stuff around before but I'll definitely be looking for it now.

Oh, really? That's pretty damn close to me, actually.

And Troeg makes some good stuff, yes.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 01:13:58 am »
I've been to the Troegs brewery twice. It's a really nice facility, and they make the best pretzel I've ever had. Obviously the beer is great (especially the scratch beers), but I was not expecting their bar snacks to be amazing. 

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 08:25:21 pm »
I am in love with Belgian Beer (Partially because I grew up there, I guess but that only means I had more time to get to know the good stuff!).

Hands down my favourite is Pater Lieven Tripel,
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/893/3248

although I can also recommend La Chouffe... oh there are so many beauties.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/1836