Author Topic: Game Duration in the Competitive Scene  (Read 56965 times)

Offline Caylin

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • The Gent's Website!!!
Game Duration in the Competitive Scene
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »
well, us and the rhinos killed the rumble today, so i suggest a rule change of no merc/artemis :P

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Game Duration in the Competitive Scene
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:34 pm »
That's an unrealistic rule, as is timers that are less then the game's set one. If anything it'll send people away. While im not sure how organizers could "fix" it, artificial rules like that won't do much of anything.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:06:27 pm »
What exactly happened in the Rumble today? The bracket doesn't really help clarify.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »
The Gents/SIR match took three hours. Both MNS and Thralls dropped out.

Timeout rules are in consideration.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:09:10 pm »
Oh dear.

The way I see it, imposing a build-limiting rule would only serve to make matches more artificial, with teams being forced into certain playstyles. It's probably better to point out to Muse that there may be a balance issue with sniper builds here.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:27 pm »
The way I see it, imposing a build-limiting rule would only serve to make matches more artificial, with teams being forced into certain playstyles. It's probably better to point out to Muse that there may be a balance issue with sniper builds here.

The issue might not even be the balance snipers though...we didn't see the game drag on due to snipers zoning out close-range ships. We saw the game drag out as two sniper compositions battled for supremacy, turning the game into a huge extend positioning festival.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »
well, us and the rhinos killed the rumble today, so i suggest a rule change of no merc/artemis :P

I resent the use of the term Merc, MeXHowitzer 4ever.

As for build rules, I'm in agreement that limiting weapons is a no-no, how do we fix it? Urz has suggested time out rules which I believe to be the best idea.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:56 pm »
How about zero spawn camping. If you are going to snipe be mobile, if you want that brawl ambush, set it up else where.

The reason I have an issue with sniping in competitive matches came to pass today. Turns out my chat message of completing a Kerbin > minmus > Mun > Kerbin > kerbol mission was more than accurate.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »
Any additional rule would have to be very clearly defined in a way that it was not dependent on referee judgement.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:00:55 pm »
I nearly peed myself laughing so hard at Brick in game 2. Seriously that nooooo! was worth it. I'm sorry if viewers were bored. But as Urz pointed out, these sniper games are actually a great example of high level teamwork, gunnery, and positioning awareness. It's not as flashy as a brawl charge, but nevertheless it is still an equal side of Icarus, and a highly skilled and highly trained one at that. If you start putting time constraints, spawn restraints, gun restraints, you are severely limiting the options and diversity of this game. I have no problem in the future saying as Brick did, the winner of one match is the winner, if it takes an hour plus, but I'd leave it at that. Otherwise you're disrespecting the amount of training we put into our style, and the pre game thought and strategy in our positioning.

Also, thank you for recognizing the horribleness of Michael Bay. He is my arch nemesis, a bane upon society and the film industry as a whole.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 11:14:51 pm »
"Otherwise you're disrespecting the amount of training we put into our style, and the pre game thought and strategy in our positioning."

I'm sorry but 1 hour is still far to long in a tournament situation where others are waiting on you.

3 Hours is disrespectful IMHO to both the spectators and the other competitors.

I have a great deal of respect for the skill involved in sniping... to get it right takes practice BUT if sniping results in the collapse of a tournament, or is to the detriment of the competitive scene well, i'm sorry but I don't see the point of ut.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »
I have a great deal of respect for the skill involved in sniping... to get it right takes practice BUT if sniping results in the collapse of a tournament, or is to the detriment of the competitive scene well, i'm sorry but I don't see the point of it.

I agree somewhat: the fact that timing out the other team's ability to play resulted in a tournament win was, I feel, a fairly poor outcome and, as a first-time spectator of the Sunday Rumble, I was both irritated and disappointed by the result.

Perhaps a good approach would be to set time-limits for the entire set of 3 matches. So, say, you get a maximum of 1.5 hours (or whatever) for 3 games. When the time elapses, the team that is ahead (if the game is unfinished) gets the win. In the case of a tie, a coin is flipped.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 12:51:22 am »
I nearly peed myself laughing so hard at Brick in game 2. Seriously that nooooo! was worth it. I'm sorry if viewers were bored. But as Urz pointed out, these sniper games are actually a great example of high level teamwork, gunnery, and positioning awareness. It's not as flashy as a brawl charge, but nevertheless it is still an equal side of Icarus, and a highly skilled and highly trained one at that. If you start putting time constraints, spawn restraints, gun restraints, you are severely limiting the options and diversity of this game. I have no problem in the future saying as Brick did, the winner of one match is the winner, if it takes an hour plus, but I'd leave it at that. Otherwise you're disrespecting the amount of training we put into our style, and the pre game thought and strategy in our positioning.

Also, thank you for recognizing the horribleness of Michael Bay. He is my arch nemesis, a bane upon society and the film industry as a whole.

this is exactly why this patch was allowed to ruin this game that I love so much

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 01:19:22 am »
Rumor mill claims a hotfix is coming as soon as Monday to address some of these concerns.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:23:47 am »
Sorry you do not appreciate our play style, but it is just a part of GOIO as any other build. If you discriminate against certain types of builds, and start dictating to others how they should play a game, I don't think we will compete at the Rumble or any event in which play is dictated. I may not always like how hockey teams play, but alas I do not control their coaching or their outcomes and I understand I am merely choosing to spectate a world much larger than my own. I for one was thoroughly engaged during the matches, as well as watching the replay. There was a lull at the end of game 2. I can understand fatigue on the part of the commentators, but for us up until end the game was an extremely intense series of gunning and jockeying for superior positioning. Maybe the commentators didn't impart or didn't know the amount of intensity we felt down there to you guys, but it's hardly boring. We're not down there sipping tea and lazily taking pot shots. It's constant focus and talking between crew and captain, captain and captain. Syncing movements, coordinating baiting, flanks, when to hit and where.

I would also like to point out that you have about 13 somewhat active teams right now, most of which brawl. In almost any game, in almost any tournament you watch brawling. Doesn't that get boring?! It's the same old. I've watched it. We are trying to bring back another style of the game, and we've been doing it long before this patch. Again, you may not like it, or appreciate it, but it is a valid form of this game and one that takes a high level of skill and communication. Isn't that why people watch competitive, to see a higher level of skill? I thoroughly enjoy re-watching and seeing how both teams were fighting for any minor edge and constantly testing each others skill, and fortitude. So you may not have enjoyed it, but that doesn't make it invalid way to compete.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:38:56 am by Byron Cavendish »