Author Topic: Game Duration in the Competitive Scene  (Read 53953 times)

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
Re: Game Duration in the Competitive Scene
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 11:38:37 pm »
I think I'd be much more in favor of a sudden death mechanic than a straight time limit... say after 45 Min, the next point wins. It doesn't actually restrict sniping matches, but it saves spectators from watching a 1 - 1 score crawl all the way to 5 - 4.

I quite like this. There's something similar that happens at the end of a fencing match (the only sport I really know anything about).

A 15 point match is divided into 3 three-minute periods. If at the end of the third period the score is tied, then a coin is flipped. That coin decides priority: 1 additional minute is given and, if no points are scored during that time, the fencer with priority wins.

So maybe something similar could work here. Something like the following:

Game Time: 45 minutes. Alert players to the remaining time at the 20 minute mark and every 5 minutes thereafter. After 45 minutes, the team that is currently ahead wins. In the case of a tie, the timer is extended by 5-10 minutes, with a team gaining priority as determined by a coin toss. If no tie-breaking kill occurs during that time, the team with priority is declared the winner.

This has the effect of making the team without priority being forced to make a play to force an engagement. It also means that teams who are behind may also force engagements to attempt to tie up and/or win the game, which adds excitement to the end-game.

Thoughts?

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 11:41:40 pm »
One team having "priority" seems like an incentive for them to run and hide. The only way I could see it working is if the players aren't informed who has it.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 11:44:34 pm »
One team having "priority" seems like an incentive for them to run and hide. The only way I could see it working is if the players aren't informed who has it.

That's true. It's mainly there to prevent constant extension due to tied games. But yes...maybe players shouldn't know who has it. Of course, the steam viewers WOULD need to know (as it makes things interesting)...so we're have to trust the competitors to be honorable and not get information from the stream.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:55 pm »
Too easy to exploit as stated. If if you guys really feel like something should be in place I think its as simple as making the game a best of 1 not 3. If the map isnt canyon ambush it wont take nearly as long either. Canyon is drawn out no matter what your style is.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 11:54:37 pm »
Too easy to exploit as stated. If if you guys really feel like something should be in place I think its as simple as making the game a best of 1 not 3. If the map isnt canyon ambush it wont take nearly as long either. Canyon is drawn out no matter what your style is.

My issue with this is that...well, let's say Game 1 is a reasonable 30 minutes. But game 2 threatens to time out the client. Suddenly we're looking at 2+ hours, when game 1 had no indication this was the case.

I think the simplest solution is an X minute timer, with a coin flip deciding victory if the score is tied. Combine it with alerts of the remaining time to make sure nobody is caught off-guard.

It lacks the ability to force action towards the end of a tied game (if teams feel they're safer waiting out the clock and banking on the 50% chance to win), but at least it makes sure that a best-of-three isn't extended forever due to an overly long 2nd or 3rd game.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 12:18:57 am »
Canyon is drawn out no matter what your style is.

not true (see: ALL wolfpack matches)

with that being said what we need is a mechanic that pushes both teams from the beginning, this is why i think an overall time limit works well, but a time limit that does not feel SO short that it limits snipers in ANY way

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 12:45:27 am »
The thing about time limits is that is what they are, limits, I'm in agreement that something is needed as a game ender like the previously suggested sudden death at x time, or a game starter that pushes both teams to go for victory. What ever those are is something we need to figure out.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 03:26:51 am »
The thing about time limits is that is what they are, limits, I'm in agreement that something is needed as a game ender like the previously suggested sudden death at x time, or a game starter that pushes both teams to go for victory. What ever those are is something we need to figure out.

With such extreme limits that can be exploited play would be dictated. Maybe not intentionally, be inadvertently we would be forced to change our play style and strategy to accomplish victories, or exploit leads for easy wins. If that's the case I'd rather just stick to Cogs and let you guys brawl away here.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:49 am »
My 2 shiny cents..
Whenever i hear brawling ships have a hard time agains sniperbuilds i think back to the first match against zill we had in anvalan. Watch it please. It still gives me nightmares. Lol.

I would definately not want to see a timerule but i would propose a REFEREE spectating instead who would be neutral and use some common sense to see if teams are doing something or if there is a frozen standoff. What a referee should look at would have to be beneficial for sportmanship and fairplay.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 03:45:02 am »
My 2 shiny cents..
Whenever i hear brawling ships have a hard time agains sniperbuilds i think back to the first match against zill we had in anvalan. Watch it please. It still gives me nightmares. Lol.

I would definately not want to see a timerule but i would propose a REFEREE spectating instead who would be neutral and use some common sense to see if teams are doing something or if there is a frozen standoff. What a referee should look at would have to be beneficial for sportmanship and fairplay.

i dont mind this idea, it would be like in UFC or boxing, if someone is clearly stalling the ref is able to doc points or whatever...

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 03:59:24 am »
My 2 shiny cents..

The problem with that is if you look at our last 2 games of the 3, most of the time spent was constant action. There was a comparatively small break in the action (compared to the overall time of shooting) when the Gents were in the canyon and the Rhinos were in our spawn, that there was no action, and we were clueless where each other was at. But we were both 1 kill away from a loss, and in a sniper game that means you don't go wandering about. That was a strategic necessity. A ref in that case would have contributed very little productive anything.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 04:07:40 am »
so wait, the entire 3 hours was constant combat with the exception of one small lull?!  if this is true i change my stance to "sniping is boring as shit and i just hope brawlers are always paired off vs snipers"

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 04:17:48 am »
I can only speak for the galleon but i think for our junker it was the same.
We on the galleon had a hell of a intense battle. It wasnt like only staying on gun and waiting to shoot.
A real sniper battle like the one gainst the rhinos is intense. We always hided and got back in fight. Had to rebuild our guns multiple times. Decide when to buff what etc etc.
It is intense for the players.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:04 am »
Yeah but a rule would be a rule. A referee could use his judgement and try avoid problems. I seen it work in other game tourns but if it would work or help here i don't honestly know. It's a suggestion. This tourn went well even so but it's hard as viewer to know what's happening compared to gamer or active spectator.
By that i by no means mean anything against how the vidstream went but just that someone who does only spectating has maybe more freedom to inspect.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:22 am »
The Gents/SIR match took three hours. Both MNS and Thralls dropped out.

Timeout rules are in consideration.

ROFLMAO!!

Hey all you guys who were mad at BFS for taking 1:30 for a match months ago...HA HAW!! We aren't so bad after all now are we?! :P

Muhahahaa...SALT THE WOUND SALT THE WOUND!! :D  :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:47:16 am by Gilder Unfettered »