Author Topic: Spires Hull hitbox?  (Read 17532 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Spires Hull hitbox?
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:09 am »
So recently ive fought versus an other spire with Merc and heavy flak.

We took cover behind a structure exposing only the baloon by half of it. BUT the merc shots still took our hull down like it was nothing.

-the baloon was still alive and not too damaged
-The hull took a beating like it got a full shot on it.

They said themselves they where shooting on the baloon. And perhaps a few of the things on the spire counts as hull.

Do we have Data on the hitboxes of the spire?

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Spires Hull hitbox?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:44:04 am »
I've always assumed that the bands that hold the balloon counted has hull. Could be that they were shooting that?

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:44:34 am »
Wow, why would that count as hull?

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:21 am »

looking at the screen shot, it does look like there's a bit of hull around there... I assumed that the bands tied into the hull, because when the balloon deflated those bands remained

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
Wow, why would that count as hull?

The same reason that pyra superstructure counts as well?

Awkm would probably have to confirm the theory but, it makes the most sense as to why that happened. Now if it should be like that (if it is) is a different matter.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:54:02 am »
It is still only the baloon. When a baloon deflates on a galleon, you can still hit it where the baloon no longer is because it is deflated. The band stays but does the big band, ad the bands count as hull?

The same reason that pyra superstructure counts as well?

But that does not go over to the baloon, and does not damage the hull as much as it should if the hitboxes work the same.

Edit: Whenever a ship hard rams a spire (most notable the goldfish, squid, pyra) on its baloon at the very front where it looks like it has most hull, why does the baloon then go down instead of the hull? If i could i would go and test stuff out now. No real manpower for that atm.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:02:00 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »
When you ram the Spire's balloon, you're hitting both the balloon and the hull. They both take damage, but the balloon takes more because of impact's higher modifier against it.

Offline Parkourwalrus

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:30 pm »
I remember someone at muse saying they couldn't add counterweights to the bottom of the mobula(realism purposes), because it would count as hull. I think that applies here too. metal = hull

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:13 pm »

metal = hull

An even easier way to picture this is that anything that's not a component (i.e. gun, balloon or engine) is part of the hull hitbox.  If components are destroyed they too become part of the giant hull hit box.

On all ships, even ones with tiny bands around the balloon like goldfish, those parts count as hull hitbox.  W

e used this to phenomenal results in the baptism by spire tournament netting one of my most memorable kills by mercing the top part of the spire band before finishing it with the flak as we stood on the edge of death.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:31:20 pm »
The bands are hull. A great way to confirm is use a harpoon it. Harpoons can't stick in balloons but they the do stick in those bands.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 06:23:09 am »
It's still ridiculous that this silly scrap of metal in front of the balloon counts as hull, I've considered suggesting to remove that since it's horribly detrimental to the ship for no serious reason other than it is 'metal', makes no sense that a completely unrelated piece of metal allows the whole ship to take critical damage what so ever.

The Pyramidion's super structure is obviously an extension of its armor, the Spire's peak.. not so much.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:21:07 am »
Now if it should be like that (if it is) is a different matter.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 09:51:12 am »
add balloon hull lol

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:23:49 am »
This is a kind of inconsistency on the ships. On the Mobula there are many parts that look like textile but count towards hull hitbox, on the Spire all the metal around the bloon counts towards hull hitbox, on the Galleon all the metal around the bloon counts towards bloon hitbox.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:36:31 am »
An even easier way to picture this is that anything that's not a component (i.e. gun, balloon or engine) is part of the hull hitbox.  If components are destroyed they too become part of the giant hull hit box.

Time to quote myself here.  This is not an inconsistency this is how it works.  And yes the metal around the balloon on a Galleon counts as hull.