Author Topic: Please Make Gunners Useful  (Read 124484 times)

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Please Make Gunners Useful
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2013, 10:48:42 am »
I'd say the penalty is requiring an engineer to peel off from whatever else they're doing (if there's a gunner) or dismounting their own gun (if they're a gungineer) to stand hitting the gun every 20-30 seconds for 10 seconds (don't know the exact figures) is penalty enough. More over, they've sacrificed some rebuilding/repairing power or the ability to extinguish to do this as well. I think there's plenty of penalities there. Sure you can prep a lot of components before engagements and preload ammo but during a fight all these things add up to make a tool that's pretty specific and fraught with danger if you mess your priorities up.

Edit: And yeah, I know you said 'to the gun' but it's all connected.

Umm, if you were a gunner you wouldn't be able to do all of that either, the concept of the Buffgineer on a gun is that he is pretty much a Gunner, and again, he still has more utility when it comes to repairs even if you decided to give away extinguishing power or some repair power (and you still get the buff and extinguisher, while the gunner would only have the wrench.)

You don't waste much time hitting the gun if you do it right. This thread seems pointless to me now though, since the new patch I see gunners, despite the advantages a Buff-gungineer has, as much more useful and practically essential for multi-range ships and many more guns benefit much more from multiple ammo types than just having a gungineer, the flexibility of a gunner is realy starting to shine a lot in contrast to the specialization of the Buff-gungineer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:50:30 am by Echoez »

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:52 am »
This thread seems pointless to me now though, since the new patch I see gunners, despite the advantages a Buff-gungineer has, as much more useful and practically essential for multi-range ships and many more guns benefit much more from multiple ammo types than just having a gungineer, the flexibility of a gunner is realy starting to shine a lot in contrast to the specialization of the Buff-gungineer.

My thoughts exactly. The recent patch has definitely made gunners a lot more desirable now. The more imporant you make ammo types, the more important gunners become, and ammo types at the moment feel more important than ever.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:36:57 am by geggis »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:27 pm »
As Echo said, buffing isn't a problem if you do it right. There's the pre-buff, and then buffing during reloads. It's not like you have to sit on the gun during reloads or anything.

I'm unconvinced with regards to the patch making a major difference. Perhaps for the Junker, but not much else.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »
I'm unconvinced with regards to the patch making a major difference. Perhaps for the Junker, but not much else.

You also started this mess, or was that Morblitz? I forget now...

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:13 pm »

You also started this mess, or was that Morblitz? I forget now...

If you mean that thread, it was Moriarty. I was actually in favour of gunners when that thread was started.

Though honestly, this whole situation is a result of this:

-- 8 charges required to disable guns (guns will glow red when 8 charges are reached)

(sorry for the slight derail)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2013, 04:36:54 pm »

Quote from: Clara Skyborn on February 21, 2013, 12:37:03 pm

-- 8 charges required to disable guns (guns will glow red when 8 charges are reached)

Really? Wouldn't that play more toward your engie theory since a gunner wouldn't be able to put that out at the old 1 charge?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2013, 04:39:29 pm »
I'm thinking more about how heatsink used to be compulsory if you wanted a gun firing constantly within flamer range.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »
Ah touché.

I just learned to stay out of flame range ;p