Author Topic: Choose your weapon...  (Read 19673 times)

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Choose your weapon...
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
'Ello, this forum thread is about the "What-Ifs" of Boarding/Person-To-Person Combat in Adventure Mode. I do fully know Muse Games isn't adding Boarding/Person-To-Person Combat to the current Team Deathmatch version of Guns of Icarus and I also don't want them to either! I did read the entire page as to why they won't and it's a very good call to not do it.

This is only for curiousity's sake that I'd like see what choices people would make when setting up their extra Boarding/Person-To-Person Combat classes. It was only I in my own spare time that came up with these ideas that Muse Games may or may not acknowledge or implement into Adventure Mode. They may implement any of these ideas without crediting me if they wish.

Idea 1: I believe they would add 3 more class to develop the Person-To-Person combat system:
 Swordsman, Marksman, and Medic. (Which one would you choose?)

Idea 2: A Swordsman, Marksman, and a Medic would each get 3 equipment slots to customize their equipment just as Captains, Gunners, and Engineers do. Allowing them to bring in different styles of swords, guns, and medical supplies for each possible specialized and advantageous use.

Idea 3: Solely Swordsman: A Swordsman could choose to bring in a selection of Steampunk styled/Historical long bladed weapons, such as: Cutlasses, Sabres, Rapiers, Scimitars, Wakizashis, Daggers, Dirks, Main Gauches - All Close-ranged weapons, each having their own attack speeds and damage output. All appropriate for specific situations. (Which would you choose, and why?)

Idea 4: Solely Marksman: A Marksman could choose to bring in a selection of Steampunk styled firearms to choose from, such as: Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles. Some may be Fully Automatic/Semi-Automatic/Single shot/Breech loading/Muzzle loading - All of them with varying range, accuracy, and damage output and all of them appropriate for a specific situation. (Which would you choose, and why?)

Idea 5: Solely Medic: A Medic would have to customize his medical equipment slots very carefully to ensure the survival and well-being of his fellow crew mates. He may bring a variety of Bandages, Casts, and Sewing kits that heal wounds at different rates, or bring drugs, such as a Steampunk syringes loaded with Morphine to buff his crew mates' pain resistance. Possibly some alcohol, such as moonshine to boost crew mate damage output at the cost of some of their health, or some Smelling salts and a Defibrillator to get them back up on their feet after being knocked down.
(Which would you choose, and why?)

Gimme all yer opinions.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:06:01 am by Grey-Wolf Jack »

Offline The Churrosaur

• Salutes: 12
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
Re: Choose your weapon...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:04:29 am »
Despite its detatchment from GOI, I always was fond of the idea of a steampunk FPS.

But if we look to GOI, accepted lore is approx-WWI era technology and if you look at some of the costumes you can see a magnum revolver, grenades, and a Brody Helmethttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_helmet

So Springfields, lugers, and bayonets instead of Muskets, Blunderbi, and swords?

Also a hand-to-hand combat system would be neat, especially given the CQC that would be fighting on a GOI airship.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:12:29 am »
I know a lot of it is based on early 20th century WWI technology, though my thinking is many of the weapons could simply be survivalistic.. scrappy.. homemade junk weapons. Like a blunderbuss made from an old-style exhaust pipe filled with screws and nuts. Maybe the propellant is diesel and not gunpowder.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:15:52 am by Grey-Wolf Jack »

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:00:10 am »
They say it's early WWI tech, truth is during WWI there were no tanks (which there obviously are in Paritan Rumble) neither most of the guns that we are using on our ships, most of what we are using is WWII tech.

Also my OCD disallows me to call this a steampunk game, by the time our engines use fuel and are combustion based, it's dieselpunk. Get your facts straight people!

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 05:59:26 am »
They say it's early WWI tech, truth is during WWI there were no tanks (which there obviously are in Paritan Rumble) neither most of the guns that we are using on our ships, most of what we are using is WWII tech.

Also my OCD disallows me to call this a steampunk game, by the time our engines use fuel and are combustion based, it's dieselpunk. Get your facts straight people!

If I remember correctly the tank from paritan looks more like something built after 1918, other than that must be 1916 where the first tank was built?

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:58 am »

If I remember correctly the tank from paritan looks more like something built after 1918, other than that must be 1916 where the first tank was built?

Kind of like.. you know, the end of WWI, there were a few tanks nearing the end of WWI that looked like the ones in Paritan Rumble, but still, these look like the ones that were built when the war was ending.

WWI was mostly trench-warfare, hence why the tanks look like they do and had no turret, they were mostly made to traverse trenches and break through enemy lines. Needless to say they were horrible at doing so back then cause the terrain they had to traverse was riddled with craters caused by artillery shells, they were horribly slow as well.

Tanks still used combustion engines, hence why this is dieselpunk and not steampunk :P

WW1 Flak guns were pretty punny as well, the Heavy Flak gun is most certainly a caliber too large for WW1 Flaks.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:22:15 am »
Considering the openness of current airships in the game I think the entire crew would get sniped before they got a chance to board. So if there were boarding the weapons should be limited to hand to hand. My boarding options would be: Polearm, Cutlass & Buckler, Florentine.

Polearm does one powerful long range attack that is slow to refire. It will be good against Florentine since they can make a kill before the Florentine user can get in range.

Cutlas buckler takes half damage from front facing attacks and have a faster yet weaker single sword attack. They are good against polearms since their damage reduction allows them to pass through the pole arms effective range without dying.

Florentine does damage at twice the rate of cutlass buckler and their angle of attack somewhat negates the bucklers front facing defense bonus. They are good against cutlas & buckler since they can out DPS.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »
I think everyone needs to point to the obvious, boarding in this game doesn't work cause it wouldn't work in a realistic impresentation of the game either. Why the hell board the ship you got close to and not just shoot the damn crew with your giant cannons/Flamers/rockets from point blank?.. I'm pretty sure a Hwacha barrage on an enemy ship would not just disable guns, but kill mostly anyone on board, especially with all these wide explosions :P

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:09:54 pm »
If you wanted to capture the ship without damaging it or anything it contains then boarding the ship would be the best way to go about it. If you want the cargo of a ship you can't very well blow it up.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »
If you wanted to capture the ship without damaging it or anything it contains then boarding the ship would be the best way to go about it. If you want the cargo of a ship you can't very well blow it up.

I will blow it up I said! Boarding is for pirates and thieves!

Offline Lochiel

• Salutes: 2
    • [GsC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »
Either the cargo is robust enough to survive a rough, cannonade assisted landing or I don't want it.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 01:10:43 pm »
That just means more fragile, expensive luxury goods for my band of merry, marauding privateers.

Offline Lochiel

• Salutes: 2
    • [GsC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 01:16:42 pm »
Inspection of the cargo isn't conducted until /after/ the stress test. I am more than willing to let the ground snuffers know where to find shattered trinkets.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:19 pm »
I think everyone needs to point to the obvious, boarding in this game doesn't work cause it wouldn't work in a realistic impresentation of the game either. Why the hell board the ship you got close to and not just shoot the damn crew with your giant cannons/Flamers/rockets from point blank?.. I'm pretty sure a Hwacha barrage on an enemy ship would not just disable guns, but kill mostly anyone on board, especially with all these wide explosions :P
You are right about this especially since there are field gun marksmen who could hit the helm (and by extension the man standing behind it) across the map. The only way this theoretical boarding could work is if ship based weapons could not effect the crew. I would like to see boarding done in another game The ship designs of GOI do not lend them selves well to person to person combat. They are too small, lack cover, and lack the varied geometry to make on board combat interesting. Also the 4 person crews are too small for effective PvP squad based tactics.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »
You are right about this especially since there are field gun marksmen who could hit the helm (and by extension the man standing behind it) across the map. The only way this theoretical boarding could work is if ship based weapons could not effect the crew. I would like to see boarding done in another game The ship designs of GOI do not lend them selves well to person to person combat. They are too small, lack cover, and lack the varied geometry to make on board combat interesting. Also the 4 person crews are too small for effective PvP squad based tactics.

I was taking this in more of an RP/in-world way. Obviously GoIO isn't suited for boarding. If we're talking about a purely gameplay perspective then yes, just blowing their ship up makes way more sense.

Also, I just had a great idea for a new gunner tool: the sword. It does absolutely nothing, but you can wave it around and look cool. And in the end, that's all that really matters.