Author Topic: Light Flak Discussion  (Read 16103 times)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Light Flak Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »
it can compete with the mortar because both guns kill in one clip, just at different ranges and you're allowed to miss more with the mortar. With skilled gunnery you can get all 7 rounds into their hull before the rebuild and kill them.

as for buffs, I vote for making it have the exact same (or slightly shorter) arming distance as the hades, then seeing if it gets used more and iterating if it doesn't. Tiny, incremental changes are the way you don't screw up balance.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:20:30 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:44 am »
I'd rather see a range increase over an arming time decrease first. The whole point of the arming is to keep it from out-doing mortar. The hades' arming is fairly small. Too small for a light flak.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:26 am »
Try greased on the light flak. That thing is beast.

All you have to do, is not be on brawling range. That is when the Light flak is going to work. Look at the hades, the hades arming time is super small. You can practicaly brawl with it. (Which leads to me talking that the hades needs a nerf and a bigger arming time, maybe the same as light flak) Arming time usualy means nothing. Other than on a lumber jack or the heavy flak. The third weapon that actualy makes arming time a gameplay changing feature is the Light flak. (And the mines, but the mines is a different type of weapon)
Decreasing the arming time is not a good answer.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:55:28 am »
Well, then simply increase the hades's arming time to match the light flak. Personally I think it's fine though.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:12 am »
There was a short period of time in GOI, before the gattling was changed, before heavy clip was changed and before mortar and light flak were changed last, that the light flak and mortar were actually balanced and neither had arming time.

I only bring this up because I think all options to alter the light flak should be considered, including arming time reduction.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:07 pm »
There was a short period of time in GOI, before the gattling was changed, before heavy clip was changed and before mortar and light flak were changed last, that the light flak and mortar were actually balanced and neither had arming time.

I only bring this up because I think all options to alter the light flak should be considered, including arming time reduction.

I disagree. The flak was better than the mortar 90% of the time, but the mortar had a couple of niche uses (e.g. killing Galleons). Flak had better effective range, higher DPS, and was much easier to land hits with. They weren't quite balanced.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 12:06:49 pm »
Right before heavy clip was altered, in a 1 v 1 pyra fight the mortar and the light flak used to be almost perfectly balanced. 

The mortar had 16 shots, no spread and almost unlimited range but was harder to hit with.  The light flak had 4 shots, no spread with heavy clip, very high projectile speed, better gun arcs and and made a quick 1 clip kill.

Mortar had an advantage over flak since it could assist in the armor break and still have shots to make the kill (this was before gats 1 clip killed armor) giving the mortar ship the ability to get the kill before it's own armor went down.  However nailing the shots was difficult and there was a chance that the enemy would rebuild their armor before the mortar finished it off allowing the flak ship to win the engagement.

We don't need to go back to that sort of knife edge balancing, but for 2-3 weeks it actually existed, so I know its possible.