Author Topic: Clan tags free for all  (Read 15049 times)

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Clan tags free for all
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:47:35 pm »
I don't know if this has already been suggested (and sorry if it has) but there's a problem where some people can take clan tags from certain clans and claim to be a part of it, even if they aren't, which is annoying for the clan and could possibly give them a bad representation. So far the only way I've come up with fixing this is to add a feature where only certain people can be accepted into a group by on or various clan leaders.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Clan tags free for all
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »
That'd be a nice feature. I'm aware that it can happen, but I haven't seen too many cases of it; although I suppose that the clans themselves are far more sensitive to the issue.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:51 pm »
I see people switching their clan tags to [Duck] in matches all the time, so +1 for this idea.

Offline Garou

• Salutes: 25
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:14:02 pm »
We in Wolfpack actually had an experience not long ago where a lobby full of trolls all put on [WOLF] tags and pretended to be the leadership. We ignored it for the most part, but some of them carried it on for over a week. While I'm personally not worried about some low level trolls being mistaken for our members, it is a bit annoying.

Additionally, we've run into the situation twice now where another clan has, without being aware of us or doing so intentionally, taken the [WOLF] tag for their own clan. Fortunately when we introduced ourselves and explained that we're already an established clan, in both cases they were good natured about it and chose another tag, however it does show that it's an issue that could stand being addressed.

TL;DR: +1

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:05:31 am »
Yes. Clan management could potentially be key in this game.  I know the dev team has identified adding a true clan system as something they want to do. However, working towards Adventure Mode, PvE, and general content/balance patches are still a much higher priority at the moment, as far as I'm aware. So hopefully something is on the horizon, but nothing in the immediate future.

Currently, there's not really much you can do if someone 'steals' your tag. Ask, politely, for them to change it. Always take the civil route first! But if you can't get cooperation out of them, report them for trolling. It's not pretty, but it's pretty much the only thing you can do about this at the moment.

Just make double sure you talk to them first! Some people legitimately just think it's funny, and aren't trying to offend anyone. Others may even do it out of admiration. Then there's the trolls. Report them.

Offline Garou

• Salutes: 25
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
Speaking of which, I just got out of a match literally minutes ago where a group of trolls did the same thing, put on Wolf tags and behaved poorly while claiming to be the leadership. Again, they were low levels and not very good, so I'm not worried about people in the community mistaking them for us, but it does get a bit tiresome. I just logged out instead of reporting because I didn't feel like spending the energy. I'd rather do something else where I'm not being actively trolled.

I don't enjoy 'letting the trolls win' but sometimes you have to choose your battles. I'd rather just load up a different game than bicker over a few letters while a bunch of kids cackle in self-satisfaction. That, to me, is the issue. I only have a couple hours to play games before I need to get ready for work/get to bed for work the next day and that just isn't how I want to spend them. I'd rather play Icarus, but at the same time there's only so much trolling I'll tolerate before it just isn't worth it.

Please fix this.

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »
And I guess I'll elaborate on my idea here to create a certain group that only certain members can join, if you decide to do this here's a few ideas that would be cool to see in-game:

- Maybe have a certain designated leader (the person who makes the clan)
- And then clan rankings, i.e. recruit, co-leader, etc.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:47 am »
Wonder why clan tags aren't longer than 4 letter.  :D

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:30 am »
I definitely like this idea, as trolls will be trolls. However, I don't want to limit who can put on any given clan tag.

People should still be able to put on random clan tag names, as long as it's not already "used." If Jimmy and his 3 friends who all bought the game together want to put on a random clan tag name, I say let them. I think there should be an official "dibs" system, where you can officially claim the clan tag "Gent," "WOLF," "COx," ect. In order to prevent people from spamming this "dibs" system and requesting every possible combination of 4 letters there is, why not monetize it? I feel like most competitive clans wouldn't mind dropping lets say $3 to gain proprietary rights to their clan tag, but this would be enough to stop random people from requesting official rights for their tag. Whoever bought the clan tag could then give out permission to use the tag to his/her clan members, but no one else could use it. Jimmy and his friends could still use the tag "BOOM" as long as it didn't conflict with a clan that already bought out the rights to the name. He wouldn't be made to pay anything for it, unless he wanted to make a competitive "BOOM" clan and recruit others but prevent random players from having the tag. Regular tags would be (in parentheses), bought out tags would be [in brackets].

I don't know, it's late and I've had a few tonight so this might be a terrible idea. Let me know if this is completely crazy.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:27:26 am »
You should drink more often.

lol.

That makes sense as domain registration etc costs a few too. But there would have to be some common sense in who gets which tag as security but that's no issue i believe thanks to this wonderful community.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:39:03 am »
Right, obviously there'd have to be some sort of review of all clan tag requests. The reason why I include the price tag in this hypothetical is to cut down the number of requests to only the truly dedicated members of this community.

Also, the "Gent" tag is gonna be at least $40.

Offline Lochiel

• Salutes: 2
    • [GsC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:01 am »
Say Joe spends her $4 to register the clan tag "BOB" for herself and her buddies. Now, for :reasons: Joe has a strong emotional attachment to the tag "BOB".

Joe stops playing GoI:O, but her buddies keep playing and BOB becomes a notable clan. Leadership rotates, the clan grows. And one day Joe comes back.

Who owns "BOB"? The gal who spent the money, or the group that made the name notable?

I like the idea, btw.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 12:43:52 pm »
hmm.. quarterly payment for activity and like steamgroup possible to assign a sub-owner? If the leader of the clan gets it then he should deserve it imo. But would be useful to assign co-owners to be able to take care of payments.
But if not a clan tag is registered, it could be used, right?
registered ones would show up as taken, but it would need a tag ambassador that is into the game since released.

it's a two way street. abuse of tags should be avoided but to avoid it would it have to be restricted? I've seen tags being wrongly used on people who aren't members but if it gets restricted what about people who wish to change it in front of their name for fun? like the freedom of choosing your own shipname? Fun vs strict tag policy.
I believe a clantag should be used as often as possible but it's also nice it can be changed without restriction unlike the name but clans do have rosters too.. And i believe those are fairly well up to date?

40$ is good quality/price ratio, thank you fine nowuffo sir. :D

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:01:05 pm »
Say Joe spends her $4 to register the clan tag "BOB" for herself and her buddies. Now, for :reasons: Joe has a strong emotional attachment to the tag "BOB".

Joe stops playing GoI:O, but her buddies keep playing and BOB becomes a notable clan. Leadership rotates, the clan grows. And one day Joe comes back.

Who owns "BOB"? The gal who spent the money, or the group that made the name notable?

I like the idea, btw.

I don't know! That's what lawyers are for. I just came up with the initial idea, Muse can figure out the deets.

And dang, shoulda asked for more for the Gents...

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:29:30 pm »
Figured I'd dig this back up after another head-achey session of dealing with it.

My idea for the system would be:

I'd recommend a player reach rank 4 in any class to be able to start a clan with a unique tag. (Not case sensitive to reduce impersonating)
This clan leader must invite players to join, and they have to accept to be a part of the clan.
The clan leader has the ability to kick members from the clan.
The clan leader is able to 'promote' members of the clan, giving them access to invite/kick functions.
The clan leader can transfer leadership to other members of the clan.
If the clan leader is not active for a set period of time (Maybe 3 months or so) leadership will be transferred automatically to the oldest active officer. If no active officer qualifies, it will then go to the oldest active member. Active meaning they must have logged in, in the last 3 months or so, oldest in relation to how long they've been a clan member of that rank.

There should be a clan menu for viewing clan members, as well as their standing among other clans. (incorporate with the competitive scene)
Can have little perks like identifying clan leader and 'officers', along with a 'message of the day' sort of deal, allowing the clan leader or officers to keep the clan informed of things without having to tell them directly.

Finally it'd be nice if rounded all that out with a 'clan chat'. Similar to global, match, or even party chat. Letting the clan members talk among themselves easier.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:32:18 pm by Thomas »