Author Topic: Freezing damage  (Read 16189 times)

zlater75@hotmail.com

Re: Freezing damage
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 06:47:48 am »
Really? Right before the GoIO Birthday?

I see how it is.

I look forward to the fireworks on anniversary. :)

I hope there will be cake.

on topic: A bit concerned how it would affect engineer duties. at the moment they seem ok.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 01:11:35 pm »
On further thought, a 'stream of liquid' gun would not be that great as an assault weapon for damage on its own. Rather, I suggest two types of gun.

The 'Trident': One is a small gun that just shoots a stream of chem-water, much like the chem spray. The effect would be reducing fire stacks (2 stacks per 1 second?) and adding a chemspray buff for the usual amount of time (without the timeout). It could cause a very small amount of damage with extended use, perhaps more to the balloon than anything. Infinite ammo, no reload, short range particle. Can be used on friend or foe ships.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpbrady/6874805218/sizes/z/in/photostream/
or

The 'Aquilon': The second gun would be a medium, air-powered device that fires a volley of liquid nitrogen or highly compressed CO2 canisters. These explode on contact, causing all sorts of havoc in a localized area (little burst or AOE). On its own, it could do medium shatter damage, moderate piercing, and instantly puts out any fires as a side effect. If it hits a chemsprayed component, however, it would do heavy shatter and piercing, as well as moderate hull damage. 8-12 ammo capacity, rapid fire rate, long reload (to pump up the launcher compressor), short range physics projectiles. No friendly fire.

On their own, neither is a frightening gun. The Aquilon would be basically a shorter range Hwacha as far as damage is concerned, and the water cannon is just a big squirt gun. Combined, however, they would be quite frightening and effective.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »
Really? Right before the GoIO Birthday?

I see how it is.

I look forward to the fireworks on anniversary. :)

I hope there will be cake.

I sincerely hope so!

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:26 pm »
xD those are some interesting pictures. Kinda frightening really. I also like the thought transition from 'sprayed/streamed' liquids to 'launched'. Sticking these in balloons, canisters, barrels, mines, etc really increases the variability. I could see some nice visual effects along with these as well.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 05:01:18 am »
There SHOULD be a cannon that fires experimental hollow glass spheres filled with liquid nitrogen that shatter and splatter onto the enemy ships.. Not to cause much damage, but to freeze up the steam pipes and cool off the engine a bit.. causing a temporary slowing of that ship's propellers, engine, and gun turrets.. also the gas inside the balloon will decompress causing the ships altitude to temporarily decrease.

It ought to be like a flare gun that deals little or no damage, just a slowing effect, but with a larger magazine and has a steeper bullet-drop.

---EDIT---

It could also weaken the ships' metal components by making them more brittle and susceptible to breaking or bursting from enemy fire.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:04:37 am by Grey-Wolf Jack »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:52 am »
Acting as a debuff? Now that sounds really neat. Possibly working by slowing down the ships systems (basically the exact opposite of a buff hammer on the parts it hits). Hull armor is decreased, engine output decreases, guns do less damage (or just fire/turn slower), the balloon rises and falls less effectively. It could affect only the parts it struck as well, possibly stacking the effect up to a certain limit. I like the idea of a different kind of weapon more so than just another damaging weapon.