Author Topic: Please Make Gunners Useful  (Read 124512 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Re: Please Make Gunners Useful
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2013, 08:12:58 am »

Personally I think that says more about the debate than anything else. That's a screen taken from past videos of the Cogs Tournament Finals. Meaning that these are high skill teams going for the gold. You'll notice that most of them opt out of taking a gunner. To put it another way, when it comes down to getting every advantage you can for the best chance of victory, they chose to get rid of the gunner.

Gunning does have some advantages over being an engineer, there's no doubt about it. But those advantages are minimal at best. And when you weigh the pros and cons of that last slot being an engineer or gunner, competitive teams often go with engineer.

So why do other people still require a gunner on their team? Maybe they feel they should have one just in case, or maybe it's just to help define the roles on the ship. Usually they just like having a gunner, as most of the time they'll be using one particular ammo type, switching to the other types relatively infrequently. Of course it all really comes down the ships and guns being used.

Either way, Muse seems to have plans in the works to address this.

I don't know where you got this screenshot. The last COG's season was the Gents vs the Paddling and we run gunners on all our boats.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:18 am »
When i hear people want to "improve" gunner class and personally think it's pretty ok as is, it's like an allergic reaction.
How? Aim assists? bigger and faster guns? More guns?

I love being a gunner. It's straightforward, not too fussy and you live with what your captain can do. Rest is up to you.
Engineer is a bit stressful.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2013, 06:55:05 pm »
I think that was Cogs season 3? I was looking for videos of GoIO tournaments and I can't seem to find anything particularly fresh. It could just be that I don't know who's been streaming them recently. I believe those particular shots are from Qwerty's twitch.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2013, 07:10:17 pm »
*puts on Cogs Expert glasses*

Cogs Season 3 hasn't started yet.

Those are screenshots from the semi-final of the Cogs Season 1 Finale, which was on May 18th.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2013, 07:14:58 pm »
A long time ago.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »
A long time ago.

Very little has changed with regards to gunners since then. If anything, the buffs that fire has gotten has given engineers an extra boost.

I won't say anything more here.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »
Gunners are useful at LEAST on 3 out of the 7 ships currently in the game and CAN be useful (depending on the loadout) on the rest of them except maybe the Squid which is of course, again, an opinion and nothing else.

This is why this debate will never go away, it honestly depents on how you run your ship or how the ship you join is being run, now close the Pandora's box of GoI please.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:31 pm »
Good call! Seems they're listed as S2W2. Not entirely sure where that three came from. I blame faeries.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »
Here those matches are on YouTube, by the way (all right, enough derailing).

http://youtu.be/cY1GRX6F0oE

http://youtu.be/_bXTcC5Smhs

Offline Cid Ferringer

• Salutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2013, 08:47:42 pm »
The fact that half the community are for and the other half are against gunners doesn't mean that they're fine.
Because no one is against engineers or pilots. The fact that 50% of players don't use a gunner is a balance problem with the classes.

This is why this debate will never go away, it honestly depents on how you run your ship or how the ship you join is being run, now close the Pandora's box of GoI please.

The discussion will never go away, so there for we should not try and solve the problem? Wait what?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:50:03 pm by Cid Ferringer »

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »
Doesn't mean they're not fine. Every ship has parts that needs repairing. Some guns produce better results with 3 ammo selections. Some do not. That is inherently a gun balance issue, not a "gunner is broken" issue.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:30 pm »
The discussion will never go away, so there for we should not try and solve the problem? Wait what?

You either make it so you HAVE to have gunners on a ship, or you leave it as is where a choosing between a gunner and an engineer doesn't have bladantly obvious downsides and both have their merit.

The fact that both classes work is why there is even a debate between the people that don't use them and the people that do, those that use them extensively benefit from using them, those that don't just think they just ain't on par, but how do you know? If it was absolutely everyone, fine, I would admit the gunner was useless, but seems like the devide is pretty equal, which is pretty okay, it means there can be a choice.

Offline Kriegson

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2013, 10:42:52 pm »
Would be nice if we had more discussion pertaining to what you think could help gunner and alternatively why said ideas are unnecessary rather than the "Yeah they need something" "no they don't" considering it would at least be somewhat productive in generating new ideas, rather than constantly chucking the same argument back and forth.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2013, 11:00:04 pm »
What I think could help the Gunner: More weapons that have an obvious benefit from multiple ammo types.

Sounds good enough to you? Makes gunners more 'useful' without touching core mechanics of the class. Genious.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2013, 11:01:37 pm »
That's, actually kind of brilliant, time consuming but brilliant.