Author Topic: Will there be more classes?  (Read 11033 times)

Offline HeavenlyGifted

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Will there be more classes?
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:44:35 am »
Will the game ever have more classes than the current ones available?

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be more classes?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:48:33 am »
Almost certainly not. The three roles of pilot, gunner and engineer already cover all the bases and introducing any other class would just wreck havoc with the game's balance.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:59:06 pm »
Seconded here. The likelihood of an additional class/classes is very low. The only way it would be possible is if new jobs became available with the release of Adventure Mode next year. That said, don't expect a new class to crop up - the system works great the way it is :D

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »
I'm still heavily in favor of a chef class.  Capable of going into the galley and whipping up meals from various ingredients.  These dishes would provide various buffs debuffs depending on the skill of the cook, the tools they bring and the quality of the ingredients. 

All classes will have a cooking utensil but the chef class will be able to take 3.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:51:43 am »
actually i think there might be room for a support class on the ships i,e ''lookout'' a person on the ship with a spyglass,range finder buff hammer and one gunner equipment spot,
It could be interesting to mix things up, of course people are going to be very reserved about the idea because i agree the game works perfectly well and balance but this was just to provide i more serious answer to a possibility that is not completely far fetched,
It would be nice to have a medium ground class that had a nice balance of pilot engineer and gunner equipment to spice things up :) also new class equals new costumes and you can never have enough attire to go into battle
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:54:06 am by Grey T »

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:29:11 am »
actually i think there might be room for a support class on the ships i,e ''lookout'' a person on the ship with a spyglass,range finder buff hammer and one gunner equipment spot

You can do that as a pilot already.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:58:30 pm »
I like the idea of a gungineer with two repair tools and two ammo types.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:42 am »
Omniraptor, that would just jack up balance to the umpteenth degree. This has been discussed before, I'd link the relevant threads but that's a lot to sift through.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 04:30:28 am »
actually i think there might be room for a support class on the ships i,e ''lookout'' a person on the ship with a spyglass,range finder buff hammer and one gunner equipment spot

You can do that as a pilot already.

But then who is shouting at the crew and pulling off mad reverse moonshine 360's :P But yeah i relised as i re-read i might have to try out the balance

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »
I remember reading an article during the summer of adventure mode possibly having a fourth class that let's you pilot a biplane. I would think this class would exist as an alternative to the usual, team based, airship combat that we currently get with skirmish mode and allow for players to go about a more solo experience. Which is fine by me. My friends aren't always online and I'm not sure how many successful deliveries I can make with AI crew

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 02:08:43 am »
Dear,
Saull.

I saw your question and I took a good look at it to figure out if this was actually true.
In my answer to you I placed my own thoughts and facts from various sites including the guns of icarus main website and the kickstarter page for the adventure mode.

I hope to have given you enough information,
Captain Coldcurse.

I remember reading an article during the summer of adventure mode possibly having a fourth class that let's you pilot a biplane. I would think this class would exist as an alternative to the usual, team based, airship combat that we currently get with skirmish mode and allow for players to go about a more solo experience. Which is fine by me. My friends aren't always online and I'm not sure how many successful deliveries I can make with AI crew
I would disagree since the game is build on teamplay and not on solo play. how will they implement this into the game if you have 1 person flying a weak little biplane and a teammember fighting with AI crew on a ship. I just don't see this working in the actual game and/or adventure mode. In my ears Biplanes only be used by AI enemy to give you more enemies to fight.

Reasons why I dont think players should be using solo biplanes:
1. It ruins the teamplay if you go solo.
2. Biplanes aren't a great option compared to a ship that is three times bigger.
3. What weapons wil you equip on a biplane?
4. The exchange of healthpoints for more speed seems in my opinion disastres.
5. What will you benefit from this?
6. What benefit is there for your teammate(s)?
7. AI is being improved, if you don't know how to control them then please press F1. (F1 one will set the AI crew to their regular tasks, a gunner will be gunning and an engineer will be repairing.)
8. Your just an easy kill in deathmatches.
9. If your biplane gets damaged, how will you repair it since you're the only one flying it.

Some of these questions you can answer and some are there to show you that teamplay is better then soloplay.
And if you  are playing alot of AI I would strongly suggest you make some more friends, the community of this game is amazing and you just have to ask around.

I also have red the kickstarter page again about the Biplanes and I only see that they are going to be pilotted by AI to give you more of a challenge then you would normally get when your fighting other ships. The developpers say that when you have a wide variation of enemies, the game gets more interesting.
If you want to read it yourself, here is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/musegames/guns-of-icarus-onlineadventure-mode?ref=live
The part you want to read is "AI Directory (PvE/Co-Op)".
They want to get to the point where you can fight against AI, those AI will then be flying ships and biplanes. The "PvE/Co-Op" Part of the title strongly suggest to multiple airships filled with actual players fighting the AI that flies a variaton of biplanes and airships.

I hope to have answerd your question on soloplay and biplanes.

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 04:09:04 am »
This is the article I referred to

http://old.gamegrin.com/game/interview/guns-of-icarus-online-interview-with-eric-chung-lead-designer-and-howard-tseo-ceo

"If we reach our stretch goals, we'll be able to create a new class on top of the pilot, engineer, and gunner that we already have. It'll be a wingman of sorts, a fighter pilot. You'll fly a biplane, perhaps the leader of an AI squadron, to support your airships in the various missions that will be available in Adventure Mode."

Now I don't think biplanes would work in any capacity in the game as we know it now but I consider adventure mode to be a whole new animal. If biplanes were introduced they would have their own side set of objectives and goals. A separate experience more akin to a side mission or even a mini game with a different set of mechanics. maybe just delivering messages or participating in races. I seriously hope that there will be more to adventure mode than just Death Match. Of course this is all speculation. 

I'd welcome some variation though of course for the very reasons you described  I could see it being too different and therefore not worth implementing for either balance reasons or it simply not fitting with the games overall game feel. That is, of course, for the devs to decide.

I should have posted the link initially but it took some digging to find
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:25:48 am by Saull »

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 04:41:59 am »
This is the article I referred to

http://old.gamegrin.com/game/interview/guns-of-icarus-online-interview-with-eric-chung-lead-designer-and-howard-tseo-ceo

"If we reach our stretch goals, we'll be able to create a new class on top of the pilot, engineer, and gunner that we already have. It'll be a wingman of sorts, a fighter pilot. You'll fly a biplane, perhaps the leader of an AI squadron, to support your airships in the various missions that will be available in Adventure Mode."

Now I don't think biplanes would work in any capacity in the game as we know it now but I consider adventure mode to be a whole new animal. If biplanes were introduced they would have their own side set of objectives and goals. A separate experience more akin to a side mission or even a mini game with a different set of mechanics. maybe just delivering messages or participating in races. I seriously hope that there will be more to adventure mode than just Death Match. Of course this is all speculation. 

I'd welcome some variation though of course for the very reasons you described  I could see it being too different and therefore not worth implementing for either balance reasons or it simply not fitting with the games overall game feel. That is, of course, for the devs to decide.

I should have posted the link initially but it took some digging to find

I didn't knew about this link.

I still dont think that Biplanes shouldnt be used by actual players.
This game is based around teamplay and working together.
Yet races arent a bad idea, maybe underground tunnel races, i think that would look too much like mario card with wings.
and maybe indeed some other things as assaulting  an caravan of airships and intercepting transport airships.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 07:05:28 am »
Doubt we'll ever see planes in PVP mode. It just unbalances the heck out of the game.

Only way we'd get another class is if Muse expanded the current class system to give passive buffs to each. Then you could have say, a total of 6 classes:

Pilot -> 2 variants. 1 would get a benefit to heavy warship handling and speed, the other to light warship handling and speed.
Engineer -> 2 variants. 1 gets a bonus to repairs abilities, the other a bonus to buff ability
Gunner -> 2 variants. 1 gets a bonus to accuracy with long range weapons or say a range buff, the other gets maybe a buff to short to midrange weapons, maybe even a reload speed buff

Sounds great till you remember its hard enough convincing new players they need to be a pilot to be in the captain's spot. Imagine trying to teach them all the differences between ships, repairs, and guns all on day 1. Yikes.