Author Topic: Business ADvice  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Business ADvice
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:44:06 am »
So I tried a bit of Diablo 3 today and something really sunk in. Muse should consider working as consultants for other game companies, like Blizzard. They are the model of what a company should strive to be. If a small indie company can work around the clock, at nights and on weekends, to pump out new content and immediate fixes, as well as being receptive to complaints and needed changes, all with a limited budget, then any company can. There should be no excuse. Imagine what amazing quality some big title games would have if they had developers like Muse.

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
Re: Business ADvice
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:09:14 pm »
Agreed

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:51:56 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I love Muse, I think the work they do on this game is *incredible*.

But... do you really think a small match-style game like this has much in common with a game produced by a massive company like Blizzard? Do you think they don't update often or work around the clock because they are lazy or don't realize it's possible?

On top of that, what do you and I know about video game development to even judge whether or not Muse or Blizzard truly does a good job with its resources? I'm sure there is some neckbeard somewhere that has used unity before and would tell us all about if Muse had just done _____ that everything would be all peachy or some ridiculous notion.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:00:05 pm »
Well if we want to get specific, Diablo 3 hasn't been updated in any way on the pc since may. So yes I think they can do better. That's rather long for a game deemed unfinished by its player base. Another example is GTA 5 shipping with it's online broken, or Rome Total War. Most big title games are shipping these days with some glaring issues, or straight up broken in some areas. It's become somewhat accepted in the industry that they'll patch in what they haven't finished, or what isn't working.  But what's wrong, or not wrong with these games is not the point of this post.

I don't think Muse has anything in common with large company producers, and that's the point. Muse has produced and manages a game subjective to the scale of their company. They haven't overshot. They have a small team of eight and their game reflects the boundary of how much they can make, while making it right. Adventure mode could be out, and not finished, but its not. It will be out when it is ready, and we all know that, because we all know how meticulous  Muse is. We have a game that's been run like a well oiled machine. The devs are listening to their community, fixing servers, and in balance issues with lightning speed. Every month has a big patch. They have a hunger, passion, and drive to make the best game they can with what they've got. If they had a massive studio with a hundred employees, I bet the quality would still be the same. That's the point. They are the model of what a gaming company should act like, and I wish other big companies with their luxuries had that hunger and passion.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:56:33 pm »
Muse has captured a niche market, developed and maintained a solid community, and as far as I can tell payed all their bills. That counts as success in the Indie market, but It would not count as success in the AAA world. Muse's insights could probably help other Indie developers, but I doubt much of it would be applicable to the big game developers.