Author Topic: Ship feature/point: Toolbox  (Read 6842 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Ship feature/point: Toolbox
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:17:18 pm »
I am sure we have all been in a situation where you join a match just to hear the last knell of the match start drums. The match is already started, and you have no idea what ship or team you are on, or what any of the loadouts are. The common practice in this situation is to 'abandon' the match to retool, then rejoin.

Other times, you simply find yourself outmatched because you happened to bring the wrong tools. That buff hammer seemed like a good idea at first. It worked so well in the last match, right? *OMGFIREEVERWHEREBOOM*. Nope. Once again, 'abandon' the match to retool, or suffer the same death over and over.

So, my suggestion is to make a physical toolbox somewhere on the ship. Players may change tools while remaining in the game and staying aware of the situation. As it is an actual physical object, crew will still need to take time to run to, open, and select new tools from the box. This would make it impractical to change tools during a heated battle, so I don't see that aspect changing much. It would, however, give crews a little time to reassess and adapt their loadouts during lulls.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship feature/point: Toolbox
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:29:32 pm »
Dont like the idea. It would actually make gunners even less viable if players get used to cause it takes not much time to switch ammo and come back. Just make it so that u dont instantly join a ship when joining a match or a similiar feature so u have time to change loadout even if the game is about to start and u dont find the time to figure your loadout b4.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:37:31 pm »
I see it being a problem for buffing, cause go around the ship buffing at the start, and then right before engaging swap to full repair kit.  big problem

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:56:44 pm »
Could make it usable only after losing your ship.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
I think that having to leave is part of the balance unfortunately.

However, perhaps there could be a tool cooldown? You drop your buff and pick up an ext. and can't use it for ____sec. That way you don't have to abandon match, can still swap you loadout in the same amount of time, and it doesn't encourage engineers/gunners to carry every piece of equipment.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:38:40 am »
Can't help but Disagree with this idea. Imagine the toolbox being close to the pilot. could have his ramming build ready, then if his balloon is attacked quickly swap out for tar and drogue chute etc. i think the abandon match is the only way of controlling it effectively enough

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:21 am »
How about making the changes apply on the next respawn?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 10:30:58 am »
Just make it single use for everyone. If you locked it till after first respawn, people would just do it the old fashioned way. I do like the idea behind it as even I forget to change loadouts when I swap ships, so a single use to get that done without the rejoining dance just saves time.

I haven't had enough coffee to think about balance issues with it even being single use.