Author Topic: New Engineering Tools  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
New Engineering Tools
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:10:19 am »
What about a tool like the chem spray that prevents other damage types?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: New Engineering Tools
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:22:52 am »
Kinda like a buff tool where you preload on a resistance and then it lasts for a time? Would certainly change engagements. Wouldn't see a single ship without an engineer going around preloading a resistance buff. Think it would further make it so gunners wouldn't be needed. You'd have a buffgineer, a resistgineer, and a regular engineer.

Unless of course the resistance would be removed faster due to shots hitting. Like say it would run out after 30 secs and each impact reduces that based on the type of dmg .

For that matter you could just implement it via the buff tool. Add an extra bar that shows resistance which would run out before the buff would. For a brief time the part would resist the dmg too along with being buffed. Sustained fire would of course take it down.

Think something like this would work better if Muse added total customization. Ability to increase armor at the cost of speed or vice versa. Then add in a static buff or coating giving the ship the ability to resist certain ammo types.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:30:37 am »
Dont like the idea. That would just prolong engagements. You could just camp with a hull with ur resistengineer or two and then you have a permaimmunity for just a fewer firerate.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:59:57 am »
Immunity to explosive and piercing damage - the rage.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:34:49 am »
Yeah, immunity would be too far. Now say it works in with the buff tool. Buffed Gun = 30% dmg + say 40% less shatter dmg taken. Hull = extra HP + 40% less piercing dmg taken. Balloon = extra vertical ability + 40% less flecette dmg taken. Engines would be similar to guns.

You still would have dmg happening but it would make having a good buff engineer a necessity. Some tuning needed but it would mean engagements wouldn't always be won by initial focus fire.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:39:31 am »
Now you know how us cakes feel.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:42:23 am »
I still think its not a good idea.
A good buffgineer is already a rly good thing to have. You just need a crew which is able to rotate if things happen.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 07:55:43 am »
I like the anti-shatter idea. Spray the front gun of your goldfish so it can't be disabled? yes please.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:41 am »
I've definitely found myself wishing that the buff hammer would give me the same 30% health to the balloon to which it gives the hull. Or same with the front gun on a goldfish, etc.

Perhaps keep the buff hammer purely a buff to a components main purpose- speed, maneuverability, damage, vertical movement, etc. and make a reinforcement hammer that just boosts the health to whatever component is being sprayed.

As for making this not instantly OP, I'd say leave buff hammer values alone, and make the reinforcement values less all around, or last less time. For instance- only give the balloon an extra 20% (only enough to outlast the double carronade, no more), or same with a gun, just barely enough to keep it up after an artemis/hwacha strike.

How we would make this a working concept in terms of what this tool supposedly is...? No idea.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:20:12 am »
It should leave a repair cool down  after application.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 12:44:58 pm »
A good use for a tool called 'Gaffer Tape'.

Description:

"This will hold it together... for now."

Applies like the buff tool. Reduces all physical damage, especially shatter. CAN NOT CHEM SPRAY! Can not be applied over chem spray. Adds 10% fire damage per fire stack.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »
A good use for a tool called 'Gaffer Tape'.

Description:

"This will hold it together... for now."

Applies like the buff tool. Reduces all physical damage, especially shatter. CAN NOT CHEM SPRAY! Can not be applied over chem spray. Adds 10% fire damage per fire stack.

Sounds fair to me.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »
I like the anti-shatter idea. Spray the front gun of your goldfish so it can't be disabled? yes please.

Ideally you'd want to balance it so a merc could not shoot out a gun in 1 shot if the gun is buffed. But it would do enough dmg where the gun would need repairs immediately. If on Mallet CD then there would have to be the potential for the merc to overpower and disable the gun. So the buff would only buy you time to deflect one barrage but a 2nd attack or focused attack from two mercs would take it out most certainly.

The only bits I didn't take into account for are explosive, impact, and fire dmg. Adding any of those to the buff tool probably wouldn't be necessary. Explosive is more for hull killing and armor would be down rendering the buff useless anyways. Impact has bumpers so adding it to the buff would be like an extra shield against ramming which wouldn't be necessary. Fire already has chem spray.

For that matter you could tie it all in with chem spray but then it wouldn't make sense for the lore. A spray which does everything? Sounds like a GOIO infomercial.