Author Topic: POSH - What you need to know  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
POSH - What you need to know
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:23:05 am »
IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THE "BRITISH ENGLISH" THEN THERE'S SOME "NORMAL ENGLISH" NEAR THE END

I'm terribly sorry but greetings airship crews and humble forum goers. here one will giz you, one's old bean, the most important informatiohn you, one's old bean, aaare evah likely to come across. informatiohn about the word "posh"!
But first... ah definitiohn

posh
päSH/Submit
informal
adjective
elegant or stylishly luxurious.
"a posh Munich hotel"
synonyms:   smart, stylish, fancy, high-class, fashionable, chic, luxurious, luxury, deluxe, exclusive, opulent, lavish, grand, showy, upscale, upmarket; More
BRIT.
typical of or belonging to the upper class of society.
"she had a posh accent"
synonyms:   smart, stylish, fancy, high-class, fashionable, chic, luxurious, luxury, deluxe, exclusive, opulent, lavish, grand, showy, upscale, upmarket; More
adverbBRIT.
adverb: posh
in an upper-class way.
"trying to talk posh"
nounBRIT.
noun: posh
the quality or state of being elegant, stylish, or upper-class.
"we finally bought a color TV, which seemed the height of posh"

-Google

I'm terribly sorry but as ah gentleman it is simply natural that one would knoh about "poshness" but did you, one's old bean, knoh that the word "posh" is an acronym? yes that's roysh, not simply is it ah word we use to describe well orf old beans but it stands for something as well.

P.O.S.H
  • Port
    Out
    Starboard
    Home
In case you, one's old bean, aaare ignorant enough to be playing this game and not knoh what port and starboard aaare, they aaare left and right, respectively. Heavens above! How smashing!
Noh you, one's old bean, might be thinking. what is this cracker ohn about? (not meant as a racist joke, its my username) has the cheese within him poisoned his mind?
Noh!
You see beck in the boring days when old beans sailed ships ohn the seven seas and not the skies there was absolutely ah spiffing trade route and ah trip down to Devohn destinatiohn to Indiah.
Here is an amazingly aaartistic map to be of assistance explaining. Jolly good show old bean!

As you, one's old bean, can see if you, one's old bean, aaare sailing aways from sweetie Britain to Indiah then port would be facing the right side of the map. the well orf old beans would mustah these cabins as they have ah nicah view while the economically troubled group mustah the boring side with ah view of th ocean.
Coming beck from Indiah is ah different story! the staaarboaaard side would be facing land and therefore you, one's old bean, would mustah ah nicah view and the well orf old beans would mustah this side while poohrah old beans mustah the port side with an ocean view simply.

And this is where the acronym comes in.
Port Out; the port side would face land when going out of england.
Starboard Home; the staaarboaaard side would face land when going beck to England
Amazing! noh you, one's old bean, knoh hoh to be well spoken! Jolly good show old bean!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for frustration caused by trying to understand what that lump of text says

NORMAL ENGLISH! (yay)
Okay so basically I'm gonna sum up whats above in some simpler and more understandable words

POSH is an acronym for
  • Port
    Out
    Starboard
    Home

Back in the boring old days when people sailed ships on the seven seas and not the sky there was a trade route from Britain to India (And other places there) and it was also a holiday destination.

If a ship was sailing from Britain to India then the port side (left) would be facing the right side of the map (See above for the map)
Richer people would buy the port side cabins because there was a nicer view of the land while poorer people got the starboard side which showed a boring view of the ocean.

if a ship is sailing from India to Britain then it's reversed. The starboard side (Right) would be facing land and so richer people would buy these cabins while poorer people got the more boring view of the ocean on the port side.

This is where the acronym comes into play.
Port Out, Starboard Home
When a ship sails OUT from Britain the PORT side faces the nicer view.
When a ship sails HOME to Britain the STARBOARD side faces the nicer view.

Ta da! Now you know everything important about the word posh!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:53:29 am by Cheesy Crackers »

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: POSH - What you need to know
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:25:12 am »
...are you speaking in riddles?

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:26:44 am »
One is simply speaking one's normal tongue. Don't you know?

I also fixed it up a bit so it doesn't look as messy

-EDIT- And now I added some "Normal English" to sum it up and explain it at the end of the post.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:54:47 am by Cheesy Crackers »

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:16:37 am »
Was I supposed to read it like this?

Because I did.

Offline Cheesy Crackers