Author Topic: [This post contains expletives, I am unaware of any selective langage filters.]  (Read 4227 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Profanity: you either want to read it, or you don't.

Why allow us some expletives which are "nice friendly loving curses like bastard" and not other "disgustingly filthy obscene words like pussy cat"? I also find the censorship of the word nigger (by the lightest filter setting) to be entirely racist, and censoring of the word homo to be homophobic.

It is ridiculous that words of the same definition are censored in some languages and not others, regardless of their cultural meaning. For example, bastard in English which is not filtered by the light setting, and the Spanish word cabron (of the same meaning) which is filtered.

Secondly I think that the notion of a gradated language filter is absurd, different words cause different amounts of offence throughout different English speaking societies and cultures, and indeed different cultures speaking other languages. (I remember being shocked as a British person at a water-park in Florida being told to "watch my fanny on the way down" a water slide, just as I would imagine Americans being shocked at people asking to buy packets of fags at newsagents in Britain.)

There should be an option to completely disable the language filter, it's not as if people with microphones aren't able to curse as much as they want completely uncensored anyway.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
/facepalm

I'm going to leave what I actually think about this post out and just say that during the last fireside chat, Muse folks said they're going to be giving an option for players to disable/enable the profanity filter soon.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
/facepalm

I'm going to leave what I actually think about this post out and just say that during the last fireside chat, Muse folks said they're going to be giving an option for players to disable/enable the profanity filter soon.

I'm not entirely sure how my post is a catastrophic failure deserving a face palm, but that is fantastic news.