Author Topic: If you're here, who's flying the ship?  (Read 20473 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
If you're here, who's flying the ship?
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:46:19 pm »
I believe that the leave counter should be displayed as a percentage out of the number of matches played.
Over long periods of dedicated gameplay it is inevitable that a situation will eventually arise where a player must abandon a game.
Eventually these occasions could begin to accumulate until the leave count reaches a very high number.

Say if a player had abandoned 50 games, that would be pretty bad. However, if they had abandoned 50 games out of >9000 the direct impact of the 50 missed games could tarnish their reputation rather heavily. For example if they wanted to join a particularly competitive clan that required no more than 10 games on the leave counter to join. Having the information as a percentage would prevent discrimination against longer term players, and provide a more comprehensible representation of their likelihood to rage-quit out of a game.

Also, we should show the percentage below forum avatars.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: If you're here, who's flying the ship?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »
Any number in games left is one too many.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »

Would this include for example, a power cut?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »

Disconnects aren't included in games left (or at least shouldn't be, according to muse).

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »

Disconnects aren't included in games left (or at least shouldn't be, according to muse).

I hope so. :) Also, sometimes that annoying, weird invention called "life" just calls us all. Let's not judge players based on situations involving that, as it can happen to all of us at one point. :)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 02:14:41 pm »

Any example of a player leaving without reconnecting is counted.

Also... Remember the Flotsam day 6 final? CoughDrop would have gotten a count added to his stat for that. Sometimes there are justifiable reasons for leaving matches.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:24:28 pm »
Well you can count them but pls only show them if they are above a certain percentage. Yes i already have one game on that counter. Obv wasnt my first but sometimes situations arise where you cant change it. Only show them if they you do it constantly.

Offline Zander Broda

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 06:50:29 pm »

i was told this by the devs.

then i got disconnected in a match and now i have 1 left match....

Offline The Churrosaur

• Salutes: 12
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 08:00:58 pm »
I hate leave counters in any games. They just make the whole thing seem hyper-competetive and in all honesty make me want to play the game less. A great thing about GOIO is that despite being such an amazingly deep and serious game, I can just pop into the Furious Vakari as pilot for a practical joke, and if life calls, pop out. I haven't had a chance to play since 1.3.2, but now I feel like I have to set aside time and plan my GOI sessions instead of just taking some time to play a video game with some virtual friends. Not a good feeling.

also. I had to abandon my crew once when my toast combusted and ignited a stack of papers. Life happens.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »
Life does happen, and a few leaves out of hundreds of games played is pretty unsubstantial and isn't noteworthy,

It is valuable to see if your co pilot or captain has left dozens of matches and can help inform your decision on whether to trust them as an ally or not.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:22:50 pm »
The fact anybody uses that counter to judge people is in itself kinda funny.

Personally the matches played counter tells me most of what I need to know.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »

I'm gonna go a step further and say that actually flying with the player tells me most of what I need to know. I've met a lot of newbies who played like vets.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:12 am »

I'm gonna go a step further and say that actually flying with the player tells me most of what I need to know. I've met a lot of newbies who played like vets.

Well of course, I figured that was a given. I remember the "leaver count" from beta and I never looked at that either. People are so judgmental these days.

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »
The first time somebody mentions my left games I'm gonna come here complaining that I've been judged based on that.  :P

Seriously though, I'm not a fan of the counter, and not because I tend to leave matches, but because I believe it means really nothing. And if nobody looks at it anyway and it's not a basis for any sort of prejudice (and seriously, it shouldn't be) then what's the point of making it public? To show interesting general trivia about players? Many devoted GoI fans feel bad about those left matches exactly because they care about the matches and the people they've played with. I don't know how many times I had to say sorry to my mates when either a power cut or a life issue forced me to suddenly log off/disconnect. The whole situation is uncomfortable in itself when it happens, but when it is also displayed on my profile, it kinda does suggest that I let people down in X cases when in fact I had no choice and the whole thing was beyond me. 

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:22:24 pm »
If you have flown 2000+ games you have probably developed a reputation in the community that renders those 50 "left games" meaningless. I am ok with a Left Game Counter because it discourages the kind of sleazy game play where players join a game realize they can't win and leave it in hopes of finding one they can win.

I think it should only apply to captains. Crew who leave mid game are not as much an impediment to the flow of the game as a captain who leaves. Sometimes loosing a human crewman will make a ship work better. However when a captain leaves nobody can quite fill the void.