Author Topic: Fix the Squid  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Fix the Squid
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:55 am »
The minor Hydro fix helped but now, gotta get the rest of it done.

Hydro...its better but not back to the state it was in 1.1. Just a little more tweaking needed.

Speed...you should not have to use kerosene to get the ship to behave close to what it used to behave. It can barely outrun a Pyra with both ships using kerosene. I know cause I raced a pyra ally. Both of us using Kerosene and he kept pace with me aside from a slight acceleration lead. While I think I had a tiny edge I'll put it in a simple example...if the Squid is going 65 on a highway then the Pyra would be going about 63. Pyras can keep pace much longer because with just 3 engines it isn't as much of a strain on the engineer as the squid which takes 2 engineers to effectively keep the engines repaired while under Kerosene.

Acceleration...it has 4 engines, it should not feel like it's an old clunker trying to get up a hill when tossed into full speed.

Turning...lightest ship with quad engines and it turns like an old Pyra. It needs effective and fluid turning to compensate for it's hull weakness. Junkers should not be able to out turn Squids.

This has gotta change. Not even buffing can offset the problem enough. Everyone wants to see more creativity in ship selections but as it sits two of the ships are seriously gimped (Squid/Spire), one is slightly too powerful (Junker), and then you got weapons nerfed beyond what they should be.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:55:28 am by Gilder »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Fix the Squid
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:16 am »
agree, junkers outturning squids are really a problem.

however on the case of the pyramidion. I used phoenix claw and kerosine to keep you in front of me.
Backing away with kerosine and turning with phoenix claw, makes sure that I can fight squids. However I am not able to do anything about an ambush, since I do not use hydro or vent.
If you want to nerf the pyramidion, just make its guns a little less mobile.

If you take out one of my engines on a pyramidion I cannot do anything about the squid untill the engines are up again. - the squid was awesome when the artemis was usefull.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:19:54 am »
I think the best way to go about it would be a squid buff in speed/maneuverability vs a junker/pyra/ect nerf. I've used squid to win matches after 1.2, even against vets. My issue is with lag spikes being unforgiving to my maneuvering (obviously not your issue) thus I fly it less.

Also, when did hydrogen change? I've seen no notes on it.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:32:17 am »
I don't think Hydrogen changed, but I think the mass update affected it.

Before mass it was a vertical rocket, now it's a minor lift before my balloon dies.
I could be wrong, but those events seem to line up. I would like to see a bit of a boost in hydrogen.
Right now it seems like I only go up 10% faster, and my balloon can only survive a few seconds of it.

I'd be okay with the squid moving 10% faster forward, and everything else moving 5% slower forward.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
Hydrogen was changed. The dmg tick went from 50 to 75 and it didn't give the benefit as much anymore. There is also a question of balloon HP because it would kill the balloon in 10 secs which would mean it only had 750 hp instead of 1200. Last update seemed to slightly fix it. Enough where I was going to take Squid in our opening match on Rumble before I learned of the pilot change.

Had they completely fixed the squid and brought it back to it's pre 1.2 state, not even learning of a pilot change would have changed my mind on squid. I would have taken it. This ship needs to be fast, most agile, and the most complex ship to fly before relying on tools. It must be the ship that offers the most rewards to good pilots and crew at an exchange for survivability. It is the ship that should punish you for screwing up yet make you godlike when you get it right. Right now it is 85-90% what it was. Before last patch it was 80%. It would not take much to fix what is broken.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:27:29 am »
I'm terrible at keeping up with the updates.
I should just subscribe to the release notes thread.

But I'm confused, do all balloons have reduced HP (750) or is it just the Squid?

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:56:22 pm »
Muse says they aren't but the 75dps from Hydro did kill them in 10 secs. Now I think that changed with this recent update. If the balloon is 1200 like Muse says then there is another factor working on the balloon and it must be a big one to make a 1200hp balloon seem like a 750hp one. So far I've never been able to get Muse to reply back on what it is when I've asked them.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »
Muse...speed, agility, Hydro, Chute....FIX IT NOW!!!!

Offline Niels Juel

• Salutes: 5
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:14:48 am »
I agree, I mean... I love the squid and have pulled off some pretty good wins, but mostly I have had to rely on ambushes or surprise moves to do so

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:10:17 am »
I agree, I mean... I love the squid and have pulled off some pretty good wins, but mostly I have had to rely on ambushes or surprise moves to do so

So you win when you fly it properly? Seems about right.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:04 pm »
The squid is supposed to be harder to fly though. If you want to fly an easier version of the squid then use a goldfish. It'll do more damage, has more hull but is still pretty quick and agile.

The squid is a gambling ship. The right captain calls the right shots and will absolutely control the match. The less experienced will get it right about half the time, and got shot down. The new captains will probably suffer a miserable fate.

Plus, I think having to use kerosene is perfect because it means your engineers have to be working hard as well. On a pyra there are times where two or three of the crew are standing still kind of waiting for the engagement. On a squid I run like a crazy person for the entire match, and that usually equates to a win.

The squid is *really* hard to use, but it's invincible, literally invincible in the right hands.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 01:48:17 am »
Why do you need hydro in a squid when you have a buffed balloon?