Author Topic: New UI feedback poll  (Read 12416 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
New UI feedback poll
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:33:05 am »
To get right to it, I was a little put off by all the new UI in matches. I am definitely part of the "less is more" group when it comes to GOIO. From the new hit indicators to the achievement popup flashing in my face, it just didn't feel as clean. The small white dot for my "targeting" even annoyed me. I haven't hopped on to guns yet to see those changes, so I can't comment there. The biggest space waster to me was the rectangle in the lower right corner telling me my team color. Third match of the night, and a new player was asking which team he was on.

I realize though, that I don't speak for everyone, and people might like the added information. So it became apparent that options for these new UI would be the best route to suggest, because people like me will want to remove a few things, and others will want all the information they can get in matches. I realize a lot of stuff has been added for newer players, and that's cool. Even if the option is as simple as a Normal/Expert UI option letting you pick between the old interface and the new one, then that's a step in the right direction. Ultimately, I just would like a way to enable/disable the new UI additions, and wanted to see what others thought.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: New UI feedback poll
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:38:40 am »
I dislike the white dot. There is no reason for something that indicates the middle of the screen, it is already the middle of the screen. On a gun I understand, but otherwise...

As for the chieve thing, I actually like it, but it could be more subtle. Maybe have a few settings for this stuff "Off" "Subtle" "Obvious".

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:52 am »
I made a thread similar to this after they added ship names to spotted ships. The more UI they add the more options we should have to remove it. I just want to see ships and bullets flying around again.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:16:12 am »
The blue/red team marker I like but it could perhaps be integrated into the UI at the top centre as a thin strip/slither above or below the score and compass.

The dot caught me off a few times 'What's that bright point of light in the distance?! Is that some glare from an enemy spy glass or something? Oh, it's my reticule.' I don't mind it. I actually like the snazzy new gun reticules though. They pop and fizz with life, and the hit markers are a very welcome addition in my opinion. Names on spotted ships have also been great for pointing out targets to new players who don't understand 'Target that Junker!' ('Which one's the Junker?')

The cheevo box on the right looked wrong to me because it was massive, like, a good sixth of the screen was being taken up by the dashed line box with a single line of text inside it in the middle ie. there was lots of space above and below the text. Is it supposed to be that big and centre aligned vertically on the screen? Or is it supposed to 'hug' the line of text and be in the top right corner? It was awfully intrusive on my screen. I'll try and take a screenshot and send it to feedback if so.

Above all, I think it's important to have the ability to customise the UI the way you like it (hiding the entire hud would be pretty sweet for screenshots and possible video montages too). I'm a less is more kind of guy generally but some UI elements I'd like to keep for clarity while others I'd happily hide.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:17:57 am by geggis »

Offline Yiski

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 42
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:18:30 am »
The small white dot for my "targeting" even annoyed me. I haven't hopped on to guns yet to see those changes, so I can't comment there.

While it is annoying to have the white dot on helm (and maybe for engineers running around fixing), it kinda works with the new reticle system when shooting. I would assume it's to help gunners/gunengineers find center on targets. Personally, I'm not a fan of the dot, but it works for shooting.

Even if the option is as simple as a Normal/Expert UI option letting you pick between the old interface and the new one, then that's a step in the right direction.

I second this.

As far as the achievement progress box which pops up for every single time you make a point of progress toward any one achievement, please make an option to toggle whether you want it to flash up or not. I like not having a box outline flashing everytime (which is often for me).

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:29 am »
yeah, options to turn off elements of the ui would be amazing. especially that box, i mean its great to track your achievements but i feel that it will lead to more active achievement farming and less focusing on helping the team.

also the team indicator actually confused the hell out of me lol i couldnt figure out for the longest time what it was for just because im so used to looking at the flags on the ship if i forget which team im on.

basically im all for the less is more approach.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:40:37 am »
The achievement box is kind of buggy right now, we're still tracking down some issues with it.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:42 am »
If it'd be possible to make the achievement window smaller, or maybe toggleable that would be fantastic, while I did like seeing what I was working towards popping up, it does seem to be taking a hellof a lot of space in the hud right now.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:56:26 am »
I like everything but the achievement box, then again I don't like chasing achievements. The different style hit markers are a big plus, and I think the rotating wheel is a nice touch too.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »
To get right to it, I was a little put off by all the new UI in matches. I am definitely part of the "less is more" group when it comes to GOIO. From the new hit indicators to the achievement popup flashing in my face, it just didn't feel as clean. The small white dot for my "targeting" even annoyed me. I haven't hopped on to guns yet to see those changes, so I can't comment there. The biggest space waster to me was the rectangle in the lower right corner telling me my team color. Third match of the night, and a new player was asking which team he was on.

I'm on the fence. I love being able to see the distinction between my hits and my allies hits, but I'll admit this is mainly because the tracer rounds on the Whirlwind are super funky, and I like knowing when I'm leading properly. On other weapons I really don't care much. I do very much like the hull hits registering though, as it's a nice (and fairly low-key, being just a color change) way of telling when you've actually breached a hull.

My reason for liking that change is that as a captain I'm often occupied with the explosions, ship positioning, and captain chat all going on on screen, and sometimes I either forget or don't have time to look at the text in the upper left. Getting a clean visualization of a breached hull is really important, and I think it's the one change that was really well implemented.

The rest of it I can take or leave. I'm not fond of the white dot all the time: I understand it's really helpful for spotting ships, but I'd almost rather have a telescopic circle with some sort of marking on the lens: I feel it would be more in-theme with the rest of the game.

The team color bar is alright, but I haven't seen anyone realize what it's for yet. I HAVE, however, had at least 5 crewmates ask me what it was for. Maybe this could be better implemented somehow? I'll have to think about it.

The gun change seems fine, but I can't say I really like it. The circle seems to indicate a certain damage zone, which the spread and falloff of certain weapons doesn't exactly hold true to, so I almost find it more confusing than helpful. It's also a very obviously game-style indicator in a game generally free of those (with only ship spotting, hit indicators, and damage indicators), so it seems a bit out of place.

They're all helpful changes for new players, definitely. Yet I, for one, would love the option to turn some of these features off (namely the gun circle).

PS: The achievement box is problematic. Would it be possible for us to deselect certain achievements from being tracked? I hate getting distracted by an "Extinguish 300 fires" achievement every 1.5 seconds as my crew fights a Hades/Incendiary Whirlwind Mobula, but I'd love to see updates when, say, I successfully break a ship's part via Ramming on Dunes (man do I hate that achievement!)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »
I was a tad unclear about the indicators. My biggest gripe with them is the colors. The fact they change color at all makes me feel like my eyes are computerized. The overlapping color confused me though too. The white will mix with the red to form a yellow, which means nothing except they are overlapping.

Again though, the option would be nice. You bring a valid point to use them, while I use the sound and smoke mechanics they added to know when their hull has just went down.

Offline Captain Magellan

• Salutes: 13
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:19:18 pm »
At first I disliked the achievement thing, but it's turned out to be nice. I kinda like it, but I still support the option to turn it off. I love the new gun reticles but the little white dot? SERIOUSLY??? You had an epic nice looking steampunky crosshair and you replace it with a white DOT? Not logical, dude.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:21:48 pm »
I was a tad unclear about the indicators. My biggest gripe with them is the colors. The fact they change color at all makes me feel like my eyes are computerized. The overlapping color confused me though too. The white will mix with the red to form a yellow, which means nothing except they are overlapping.

Agreed: the colors overlapping can be an issue. I'd probably make the red take priority, so it's always on top of the other indicators. Given that red is the most important in terms of knowing that a ship is about to fall I think it would make logical sense to prioritize that.

I am interested that indicators were chosen over visuals like explosions or  impacts however. I wonder if throwing up a short damage sprite of some sort would be a good compromise between gamist hit indicators and the level of minimalist UI that some players (myself included) seem to prefer (at least in general). Yes, I know there are animations for landing hits, but I'm specifically talking about something to make these more apparent at long distance without a specific hit indicator.

You bring a valid point to use them, while I use the sound and smoke mechanics they added to know when their hull has just went down.

Oh, definitely. The visual effects and auditory effects are wonderful. I value the new indicators more as a "now I know if my gunner is actually hitting the hull once it's down or not" tool. At high levels of play it probably doesn't matter (as you can be sure they are), but I still need to always remind crewmates to retarget the hull, and it's nice to be able to tell them "Perfect. Keep up the good work." when I see red indicators.  :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:25:06 pm by The Djinn »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
I'd like an option to disable the team colour indicator, and to toggle the achievement box between automatically/manually displaying and only manually displaying. The last thing I want to know when I'm targeting the Lucky Duck's broadside is that I just spotted a ship at 2000 metres.

The other UI changes I'm perfectly fine with.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 12:09:07 pm »
Going to raise this back up, as I'm fairly certain more UI changes will be on the horizon, and I'd really like options for them (on/off or old/new).