Author Topic: Training Day  (Read 105396 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Training Day
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2013, 12:04:21 pm »
I don't think we are reaching the intended audience. I was only able to participate in one of the training sessions, and there were more Vets than trainees it seemed. I hate to say it, but the type of people we are looking for are the type of people who hit Quick Join. If nothing else we can teach them why it is important not to use Quick Join.

I propose next training day we get 4 captains to start a game with empty ships, then let people quick join it. It seems to be the most efficient way to attract noobs to your ship. If there are more than 4 vets the next group of 4 can start another server.

Having participated in only one training match I can't say I am an expert on these things.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2013, 12:26:28 pm »
Bump for tonight :)

I see a big problem here, the Training Event was only scheduled for EST time in the official GoIO Group, there's nothing for CET?

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

Offline Ataris

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2013, 12:31:02 pm »
I see a big problem here, the Training Event was only scheduled for EST time in the official GoIO Group, there's nothing for CET?
You're right, the separate european event wasn't made. However, Skrimskraw made an announcement for 8pm CET and i reposted info to russian steam group and community board. So hoping people will come

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »
I don't think we are reaching the intended audience. I was only able to participate in one of the training sessions, and there were more Vets than trainees it seemed. I hate to say it, but the type of people we are looking for are the type of people who hit Quick Join. If nothing else we can teach them why it is important not to use Quick Join.

I propose next training day we get 4 captains to start a game with empty ships, then let people quick join it. It seems to be the most efficient way to attract noobs to your ship. If there are more than 4 vets the next group of 4 can start another server.

Having participated in only one training match I can't say I am an expert on these things.

Problem is quick joiners dont want to train. They pressed quick join to not listen to you and pretty much do as they please. Which funnily enough could be done in sandbox all day but lets not go there...

Another issue is that not many lvl 1's are logging into the forums, fb page, website to even see the matches. I cant force people to want to learn, so we do what we can I suppose. Week one had a lot more new guys in it though.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »
Bump for tonight :)

I realized that an scheduled it, it should pop up on your steam profiles

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2013, 01:38:13 pm »
Well, the Training Group is fine enough, but we'd need it scheduled in the official GoIO group, like the EST one :/ I'll write Jess a PM and ask if that can be fixed still.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2013, 01:46:29 pm »
I Quick Joined my first few games, and I wanted to learn. I have had many experiences with quick joiners wanting to learn. I have also had many more experiences with quick joiners not wanting to learn. The problem (in my eyes) is quick join is not very conducive to learning. The captain has most likely given his battle plan briefing before the quick join pops up and is too busy shouting orders to the effective crew to make time to teach the new guy. There is generally a collective groan when a level 1 gunner shows up in the middle of a fight. Some times the best thing you can do (if you want to win the game) is to ask him to leave the ship. I was thinking a low intensity training day game would be a better way to educate quick joiners than a more competitive atmosphere.

I would like to try an experiment on the weekend with three other veteran captains. We create a server named "don't join me" or "quick join experiment." Any veteran friends that join as crew we politely ask to leave. We start the game as soon as we have 4 captains, and sit under truce untill we have a few quick joiners who we have given the pre game briefing. We take galleons or junkers with sub optimal weapon layouts and make high speed firing passes at each other to give the quick joiners practice repairing and shooting without the "oh crap oh crap we are all going to die" pressure of a real fight. Once the quick joiners get a little bit of confidence, we settle in for a slugging match to end the game. The next game (hopefully the quick joiners will stick around for) we will do a pre game optimal loadout briefing and lay into each other with our regular fury.

Does this sound like a good idea, and who wants to help me?

Offline Ataris

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:08 pm »
might be a good idea, HamsterIV
I'd like to help you to make a try, but i'm supposed to be busy this weekend

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2013, 02:42:30 pm »
Aye, I wasn't very happy to hear that Quick Joiners might be the bigger group to reach, but I'd definitely be in to help them out. I won't be here this and the next weekend though, so I'll only be able to help out.. in April again :/

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »
@Kyren
I might be wrong. It could be that there are tons of new players reading the facebook, forums, or main webpage, that will join the next training day match and learn a ton. Like wise most quick joiners could be trolls or 8 year olds who just want a steam punk Call of Duty experience. My suggestions come from my limited experience with one training day and a whole bunch of quick joiners on regular games.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:21 pm »
Looks like mid game quick join is getting the axe thanks to this thread. Please disregard my earlier suggestion of using Quick Join as a way of attracting new players to a training game.

Offline Ataris

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2013, 05:40:08 am »
What's up with thaining day for Europe next week?

I see USA training is planned on March 27th 20:00 EST (Seems you guys moved the event from Wednersday to Thursday). So suppose we need to follow you on March 28 20:00 CET as we did before.

I'm signed

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2013, 05:44:40 pm »
it moves 1 day each week

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
It would really help if we had more beginners seeing this. Would it be possible to get a small popup referencing this every once in a while? Maybe it could also point to the forum.