Author Topic: PILOTING and PILOT SKILLS Balance v1.3.2  (Read 14174 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
PILOTING and PILOT SKILLS Balance v1.3.2
« on: September 19, 2013, 02:49:45 pm »
FOOM!

Offline Captain Blueberry

• Salutes: 1
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
Re: PILOTING and PILOT SKILLS Balance v1.3.2
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:50:09 pm »
I think Hydrogen/Chute Vent weren't that useful helm tools before the patch. The Risk was very high for a mild gain. Now the risk with Chute Vent is even higher. I only used the hydrogen on slow ships to evade the inevitable charging pyra and chute vent on the Blenderfish to momentarily get away from Merc gun arcs.

It probably won't stop me from using it, it is just getting less appealing to me.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:57:42 pm »
Well its hardly used as pilot but its declared as such so i mention it here.
I rly dont like the new animation of the spyglass. I liked the somewhat circle u had b4. At least it feels dif for me so correct me if im wrong.

Offline Captain McFaceSmashy

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:51:50 pm »
Can we still discuss ships in here?
I'm pretty happy with the changes to pyra and spire, will have to see how it plays out in practice but it's a welcome change.
not convinced on the necesitty of the change to chute-vent, when exactly was this ability being problematic?

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:47:47 am »
Awkm, could you please explain the reasoning behind the chute vent nerf? It's not like it was way too op and popular..

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 10:26:00 am »
Not everyone has access to dev app forum, but this is the reason behind the nerf.

While Chute Vent isn't particularly popular, when combined with a blenderfish it is far too easy to keep a victim's balloon in range.  By the time the engineers repair the balloon, the carronade will be reloaded and ready to pop it again.  The only solution is to get a friendly to come to your aid.  The additional damage on the Chute Vent will hopefully give the blenderfish's engineers enough of something to do, a distraction, to allow teammates to more easily save their poor balloon locked friend.

Offline Captain Blueberry

• Salutes: 1
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »
OK I think the nerf makes sense now.

My thing is just that the height tools aren't very useful to begin with. As you said, chute vent is only really useful on a blenderfish. Maybe decreasing the damage but increase the time it stays effective can help with that. So it can be used to travel great distances in height, but not for short quick boosts/drops as it is currently used.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:53 am »
Oh so Blender got a nerf to both it weapons and its manoeuvrability. Don't want to be sarcastic, so I don't say "this is totally not overshot."

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:57:40 am »
It's not as much of a nerf to the blenderfish as is being implied here.  The heavy carronade actually got a range boost and cone tightening allowing it to start blending effectively at midrange.  It also got an increase in shatter damage allowing it to be even more devastating against components than before. 

Chute vent still works just as well as always, only causing slightly more damage to the balloon than previously.  The less than 100 extra damage, is hardly noticeable on the 1400 health balloon if you have competent engineering (not to mention that chute vent is unecessary on blenderfish with a buffed balloon and pilot that can predict their opponent will start descending once the balloon has been popped).

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:57 am »
OK I think the nerf makes sense now.

My thing is just that the height tools aren't very useful to begin with. As you said, chute vent is only really useful on a blenderfish. Maybe decreasing the damage but increase the time it stays effective can help with that. So it can be used to travel great distances in height, but not for short quick boosts/drops as it is currently used.

I use these tools on many occasions on various ships. I find them useful in their current state as well, so a change like that would be worse off in my opinion.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:48 am »
It's not as much of a nerf to the blenderfish as is being implied here.  The heavy carronade actually got a range boost and cone tightening allowing it to start blending effectively at midrange.  It also got an increase in shatter damage allowing it to be even more devastating against components than before. 

Chute vent still works just as well as always, only causing slightly more damage to the balloon than previously.  The less than 100 extra damage, is hardly noticeable on the 1400 health balloon if you have competent engineering (not to mention that chute vent is unecessary on blenderfish with a buffed balloon and pilot that can predict their opponent will start descending once the balloon has been popped).

It's previous 220 shatter was more than enough to one shot any component, it's only a marginal buff on its effectiveness against armor and hull if anything, NOT against weapons since it already pretty much had Mercury gun effectiveness against them.

The range boost is laughable. The spread reduction was welcome though, that's probably the only true possitive thing about the changes to the Hellhound.

Reload time of 5.5 seconds is an extra 1.5 seconds to your cycling rate, massive bummer that this gun didn't need and yes it is overshot by a long margin since this gun doesn't bare the fastest reload in the game anymore, which was one of the factors that made it realy attractive.

Chute Vent nerf I realy don't care much about, I just think that the attempts to nerf the Blenderfish, of all things, were hilarious.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:52 am »
Blenderfish is still effective and annoying as hell. The nerf to its reload time doesn't really change its ability to lockdown  a ship, it just lowers its DPS. It is slightly easier to 1v1 against it though.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 12:24:09 pm »
I try never to fly without a hight tool. Having a little more control over hight is extremely helpful when dodging or going into a battle. If these tools weren't available ships would have a lot less control (control being the most powerful thing to a captain).

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 03:25:59 pm »
Not everyone has access to dev app forum, but this is the reason behind the nerf.

While Chute Vent isn't particularly popular, when combined with a blenderfish it is far too easy to keep a victim's balloon in range.  By the time the engineers repair the balloon, the carronade will be reloaded and ready to pop it again.  The only solution is to get a friendly to come to your aid.  The additional damage on the Chute Vent will hopefully give the blenderfish's engineers enough of something to do, a distraction, to allow teammates to more easily save their poor balloon locked friend.

I've flown my fair share of blenderfish and never used chute vent to keep up with falling enemies.. all I did was start descending one shot before their balloon goes down, actually overtaking the target a little at first. I'm kind of wary of any sort of vertical tool nerf because they're mostly what people use to counter shotguns.

Also, a suggestion- could we maybe have the drogue chute reduce angular drag, at the cost of increasing longitudinal drag? It would make it more effective for fighting shotguns because you'd be able to turn around more easily and bring your guns to face their cannonage.