Author Topic: "The Cogs" Week 9 Championship  (Read 14899 times)

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
"The Cogs" Week 9 Championship
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:59:51 pm »
Hey everybody. The day has finally come... The Cogs Championship. The winner this weekend will take hold of the Tournament Champion title. In the case that Raft claims the Tournament Champion title, they will ascend to a higher plane and become the Grand Champions of the Cogs, because they currently hold the title of "Weekly Champions".

http://challonge.com/z1dxhbwp

The first match of the day will place the Rhinos and the Gents on Northern Fjords.
The above victor will face off against Raft on Battle on the Dunes for the third match of the day.

Paddling and BFS will fight it out on Canyon Ambush for the second match of the day.
The above victor and Brood will share a Duel at Dawn for the fourth match of the day.

The championship match will place the finalists in Paritan Rumble.

Qwerty'll be casting at www.twitch.tv/gunsoficarus so make sure you stop on by! Good luck to everybody!

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Cogs" Week 9 Championship
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:47 am »
"Weekly Champions".

Isn't the weekly champion the team that has held the top spot for the most amount of weeks? In this case the Paddling with 5 weeks of being in the champion Cog.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:32:44 am »
Well according to the rules:

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1351.0.html

At the end of Week 7, the team in the Champion Cog are crowned the Weekly Champions of The Cogs.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:55:48 am »
"Weekly Champions".

Isn't the weekly champion the team that has held the top spot for the most amount of weeks? In this case the Paddling with 5 weeks of being in the champion Cog.

I know I was just as shocked as anyone.  The rule changed at some point but wasn't announced.  I didn't even know we lost the weekly championship until Frogger told me a few days after he beat us.  Squash just found out when this week 9 post went up.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:21:58 pm »
Ok rules are superior but tbh i find it a bid akward.
Paddling managed to be champ for 5 weeks. Thats more than half of the time.
Imo it should be changed next season that the team with the most weeks champions title is the weekly champion. And only if there is no clear winner the team with the last date gets the title.
Obvious one that holds the topnumber of wins. So if team a has 2 wins and team b has 2 wins but team b managed to hold a win in week 6 they get the spot over team a.
Just my thoughts. Nothing to change for this season cause rules are set. But might want to consider this in the next week.

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »
Not to further exasperate my esteemed Duck colleagues, but I do wonder what it would do for the competition if after a certain point of shutting out the top Cog, it becomes impossible to displace a team for the Weekly Champion title. Depending on one's level of competitiveness, having the knowledge that a certain team is guaranteed the title after 5 weeks of holding the Cog might be a little disheartening. The prize is out of reach halfway through the season, with no way to shoot for it, and with the only consolation for a late arrival to the Champion's Cog a guaranteed semifinal spot in the Final Tournament.

But perhaps this is a deeper issue with the format of the Cogs and the turnaround time required for a defeated team to once again make their way through the ranks. Clearly this is a major issue with the Upcomers' Cog that must be addressed, but maybe it plays a role in the upper cogs as well.

Edit: added second paragraph
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:38:12 pm by Frogger »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 03:36:44 pm »
But that system means that it doesnt matter how long u hold the title. U can need to get the match against the champion in the last week and win that.
U could add sth like a better seeding by accomplishing different goals. We have now the Raft and the Brood in the better seeding places.
Why not switch that a bid.
System 1:
We could have match 1 with both newcomers. In the next the winner have to face the "worst" team of the regular cogs. After that the winner of that match faces the next better seed. And that system goes on till we get to the last one where the weekly champion has to fight the winner of the previous rounds.
System 2:
Other system could be that (looking at the current bracket) the weekly champion could get the choice which grid half he wants to start and the next better team gets the topseed in the opposite grid half.

The second one is obv. easier for the lower seeds cause they get a better chance in achieving the win. Would also take less time cause we would have to start quite early to do all that matches.

PS: I dont know whats possible with the grid site so i just made some possible ideas.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:45:03 pm by Alistair MacBain »

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:44:18 pm »
The way the current system stands someone could just choose to wait to enter the newcomers cog three weeks before the end of cogs, win two lower level matches, enter the finals and win the whole thing.

The advantage of holding 1st place at the end of the season should be a better seeding in the Cogs final (1st season the holder of the first cog got a bi for 2 matches).

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:59 pm »
How about having three titles, one for the tournament, one for being on top for the most weeks, and one for being on top at the end of the season?

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:46:07 pm »
After intensive internal discussion on the merits of the suggestions proposed here; we the ex-cogs host who actually wrote that rule back in Season 1 and promptly forgot about it would like to request additional feedback in the form of the following:

If you could, please answer the following question in the form of a name.

"On a scale of Louie Spence to James May, how tight is this conversation's shirt?"

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:32:31 pm by -Muse- Cullen »

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:34 pm »
Congrats to the Ducks, that was a fantastic final match. You taught us a lot! Be ready for us next season! ;)

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 01:28:50 am »
That was an amazing match. I'll certainly never underestimate a magma rocket carousel pyra again. That ship was brutal.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:13:38 am »
Thank you! Like wise, I learned the sheer frustration a galleon causes and accurate gunners cause. Look for some more development in our build for season 3 as we continue to push the meta in a different direction.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:01 am »
Congratulations to the Paddling for winning the cogs. And thanks a lot to you gentlemen for pausing the game those two times my client crashed during our engagement. You guys really live up to your name.

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 12:55:37 pm »
Awkm definitely wears his shirts tight.