Author Topic: Ideas for an event.  (Read 35384 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Ideas for an event.
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:50 am »
A little while back I hosted a 3v3 tournament as some of you might remember.

It was a little hectic, had a lot of bad decisions, but what I got backf rom feedback was that people had fun.

So instead of me planning a tournament on myself or something like that. I would like to hear what you the community would like to try.

As the cogs, rumble and urz upcoming tournament tend to be on the more competitive and side of the fence, I will have no trouble hosting events that are experimental (like the spire tournament or squid races).

There are some things I won't be doing again, like having a stream running for 5 hours straight or having a uncompleted ruleset.

If you wan't to pitch some ideas, feel free to discuss it in this thread, and If you'd like to help host/manage/referee/cast it also post here ;)

Here are some Ideas I have had myself:

A battle between americas vs. rest of the world (eu, asia, au etc. etc.)
a crazy kings event.
all-star event, community picks out teams of allstars and make them fight eachother.

Hope you'll all give some feedback, I'm not going off board planning something you guys have no interest in :)

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for an event.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:57:59 am »
Quite a nice idea you got there. Here, have my salute.

I like your 'location based battle'-idea, might add some feeling of togetherness (is that the right word?) which could result in something like fun. (Well, if that wasn't badly written...)

Something like 'girls vs boys' would be kinda cool too, but I don't know if everybody feels adressed and if there are enough female players.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:08:49 am »
I loved the 3v3 tournament, but I'd really like to see a CP or crazy king tournament. Those game types are underplayed, I feel. Scrap can be a ton of fun if the teams are more or less even. 

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:30 am »
I loved the 3v3 tournament, but I'd really like to see a CP or crazy king tournament. Those game types are underplayed, I feel. Scrap can be a ton of fun if the teams are more or less even. 

the only problem I see about this event is that you have to engage into atleast 2 days of play time, or put a limit to maybe 8 teams and then single elimination (still  fun, but sad to lose 1st game). I am not willing to keep people going for 5 hours again :p
even 4 teams is enough if you want to stream the entire event.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »
Something like a world series might work. I know there are enough german (and german speaking) people around to have a full team. There's also a large number of scandinavians, french, british, and russian guys that might be able to get at least eight guys together. I think it's worth a try. Get a representative for each nation or colaboration and let them build their team. Would be hella fun.

As another idea, which would be more just for fun though where the enemy team chooses ship and loadout for you. With some rules like no ship twice, no gun more then twice etc. It could turn out hilarious yet very challenging. The ship and its components will be decided before you enter lobby.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:20:39 pm »
Squid racing needs to be a thing.

But I do also like the Americas vs Rest of world idea.

And I've been thinking for a while that there needs to be a CP tournament. Maybe something like a 'Chief of the Anglean Raiders' tournament.

Offline Brick Hardcastle

• Salutes: 12
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:52:20 pm »
I think some sort of Guns of Icarus World Cup would be an awesomely hilarious idea. Would love to see the kind of fun combinations of pilots and crew that would happen!

Also, some sort of 3v3 CP Tourney would be fun. Even if it was single elimination or just 4 or 8 teams, I would just like to watch some of those matches at a competitive level.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:54:46 pm »
I would really like a tournament between different nations... Though assembling a Team Canada might not be the easiest thing, lol.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:44 pm »
Here's an idea I just thought of. A kind of mega clan tournament. The general concept would be that it would be a tournament between only a few of the bigger clans where each clan has to put forward multiple teams. I can't think of the logistical assets of the tournament and there would probably be a few issues in mustering enough members to fill several teams, but it would be a great opportunity for lesser clan members to take part in competitive play.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:12 pm »
I think nations would probaly screw a lot of people over, continents maybe?

russia being both asia and europe

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:18:36 pm »
The continent rumble would take a metric shittonne of organisation to just get the teams. But it would be totally awesome and worth it.

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:17 am »
I have an idea for a Knightly Tournament! With specialty events, Such as 3v3/4v4 squidfights, Pyra jousting, fish fighting, and others. An open tournament, where indie teams can register and compete as to open it beyond clan play.

Been playing around with the idea for awhile.

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:49:19 pm »
I think some sort of Guns of Icarus World Cup would be an awesomely hilarious idea.

Guns of Icarus World Cup

World

Cup

But seriously, having a worldwide tourny would be ridiculously epic. I am 420% positive that it would attract loads of support cross-game, and generally it would be such fun. Individual countries could work, except for the fact that it might be a little bit duff as think of how many Americans and Brits play GOI compared with a lot of smaller countries: it'd be easier to represent smaller countries which might lead to slightly unbalanced competition.  However, as posted above by Gryhpos, it'd be worth it.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23:08 am »
I would love to do individual countries, but I feel that goio competitive scene is too small for the eu guys to find eachother, think about if USA would be divided into states.

The way I would run this however would be an EU tourney, a US tourney and possibly an asian tourney if there's enough teams signing up from japan/russia/aussie. Then have it end up in a finals between the best regional teams.
a problem here is that 3 regions would give a very weird finals, so possibly giving the region with most sign ups 2 finalists teams would help.

Its a big aim to get all these teams to sign up, and even finding a time that is fair for all countires in the world for a finals.

it would actual have to run over atleast 2 days, i´m liking this idea so I would give up some saturdays if thats needed. I´d also need a insane amount of help from casters, refs and someone to help sketch out rule book.

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:41:20 am »
Not to mention teams that are split EU and US, this would cause people to have to organize whole new teams, just for the event. Which would I think effect the amount of people that enter.