Author Topic: Service panel for capn  (Read 6628 times)

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
Service panel for capn
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:17:15 am »
Well... here some suggestion, that have my good friend and brother, flying with me as main engineer: some kind of service panel, near capn, that should replace UI icons for subsystems. With, you know, some lights, that will indicate state of things on ship. I think it will be interesting and useful, like, when on Junker and you lost one of our secondary engines, you don't know which one, especially in heated battle.

And, you know, with all this minimalistic UI, it will be cool to take all this icons on ship-panel, like wheel and etc.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Service panel for capn
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:06:39 am »
Eh. My opinion is that the icons are good as they are.

Having a panel doesn't really make sense to me with the level of tech on the ships.
The icons sort of represent your senses right? You can see the smoke and hear the mechanical parts grinding in a bad way. Electromechanical fault sensors might be possible in dieselpunk, but it'd break the authenticity to my mind. Not to mention I don't want to have to look down at a panel. We've already got an altimeter.

Usually I know which engine I've lost by either glancing back at them or realizing which way the ship is failing to turn.
I'm sure some people want even less UI, but I think this would just make my game experience a little more annoying without really adding anything.

These are just my thoughts. Maybe have an option for this if people would like it.

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:18:16 am »
Well they got electricity... i mean this panel should consist only from icons with lights - red is down, yellow is damaged, maybe some flashing thingy for fire on ship and etc. I mean it would be a little logical and can be achieved in diseselpunk tech tree.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:59 pm »
These ideas have been posted multiple times now, varying in solution to change the UI and why to do that.
I can only repeat myself: I think it is good the way it is, especially the minimalistic design. Lights on the wheel would only help the captain if replacing the other symbols, if not it just overloads the UI for the capt. Sorry, but I don't see any use apart from it being a gimmick.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:41 pm »
I honestly think it is good the way it is, however this would be the best way of implementing such a thing.

I have another question about the helm though, what is that blue tube thing with 4 notches supposed to be? I feel like it's supposed to be functional in some way.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28:32 pm »
I have another question about the helm though, what is that blue tube thing with 4 notches supposed to be? I feel like it's supposed to be functional in some way.

That's an altimeter.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 06:33:07 pm »
I assumed that's probably what it is, but how do i use it? As far as i could tell it's constant and there isn't any indication of altitude... Or i really just don't pay enough attention.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:50:54 am »
So at cogs level, this would be incredible. But in a beginners match, with no microphones, it would be bad. Very bad.