Author Topic: Character Screen Text  (Read 4141 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Character Screen Text
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:55:47 pm »
How about a concise rename of the equipment slots on the character load-out screen?

First, to explain the logic:

The word 'gunnery' usually pertains to heavy artillery exclusively. (As of the current patch we don't have any heavy artillery, only Medium and Light!)*
A more accurate descriptor would be Munitions, however this is now inconstant with the other two class types.
They can be made consistent with more accurate descriptors.

From
  • Piloting Equipment
  • Engineering Equipment
  • Gunnery Equipment

To
  • Instruments
  • Tools
  • Munitions

This list is far more pleasing phonetically, while being concise and exact.

Perhaps the existing headings are prefixed with derivatives of the class names to help further define their relevance? I feel this is made fairly obvious by the number of free slots available in each class load-out. If it is absolutely necessary that the headings reference the class names; I don't see why they can't be:

• Piloting Instruments
  • Engineering Tools
  • Gunning Munitions **

* The word gunnery sounds idiotic and is not contextually accurate.
** Gunning being both a more accurate and consistent descriptor.

Come on, you know it would sound better.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:03:03 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: Character Screen Text
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »
well if you are going to be technical, why instruments? the only measuring devices in the game are the compass on everyones hud and the altimeter next to the wheel. nor are all of them designed for careful exacting work implicit in the definition somthing made for a particular purpose, and if you are ignoring the implied context everything is an instrument. your pilot doesnt actually have tools on him/her besides their repair one, but rather activates different equipment around the ship that is designed to help him/her pilot. hence piloting equipment.

further more, munitions means the guns as well as the ammo, a more accurate word would be ammunition, or simply ammo, as the gunner only takes the ammo in that area being labled. furthermore, gunnery is the USE of large military guns, implying the study of how large military guns can be used effectively. as the ammo in the slot being labled changes flight patterns, damage done, and ammo capacity, gunnery is actually a rather apt word to use.

yeah the words could be changed but i feel they dont really matter because everything is explained by the pictures themselves.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:36:06 pm by JaegerDelta »

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Character Screen Text
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:24 pm »
well if you are going to be technical, why instruments? the only measuring devices in the game are the compass on everyones hud and the altimeter next to the wheel. nor are all of them designed for careful exacting work implicit in the definition somthing made for a particular purpose, and if you are ignoring the implied context everything is an instrument. your pilot doesnt actually have tools on him/her besides their repair one, but rather activates different equipment around the ship that is designed to help him/her pilot. hence piloting equipment.

further more, munitions means the guns as well as the ammo, a more accurate word would be ammunition, or simply ammo, as the gunner only takes the ammo in that area being labled.

yeah the words could be changed but i feel they dont really matter because everything is explained by the pictures themselves.

Of course, they don't really matter. Although I do agree with your point about instruments, a reasonable alternative I considered, for the reason you pointed out, would be apparatus, however I used instruments an abbreviation of "flight instruments" (these are not exclusively measuring devices) and removed the word flight for consistency. I still stand by the word munitions over ammunition, due to the choices being treated or modified versions of a standard ammunition (grease for greasing) for each weapon and therefore are not exclusively ammunition.

- and my final point: it does sound better.