Author Topic: I have such a weird Junker... Questions and Discussion  (Read 22219 times)

Offline Captain Blueberry

• Salutes: 1
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
I have such a weird Junker... Questions and Discussion
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:40:53 am »
I think the Junker is THE most diverse ship. You can almost run any layout successfully as long as you have the crew supporting it. And here lies the problem. There is exaclty one tp organize a Pyramidion, but I feel like you have many different ways to organize a Junker crew, all with their perks and pitfalls.

So I'd like to ask some questions about the Junker I currently think of running, any feedback is appreciated.

Layout
Portside is meant for long range and starboard for standard brawling.
Front: Artemis
Port Top: Artemis
Port Lower: Banshee
Starboard Top: Mortar
Starboard Lower: Gattling

I ran triple Artemis yesteday, it didn't really do anything but annoy the enemy and I think disabling can be done almost as well with 2 artemis'. I also ran Artemis front, lower and mercury on top. I didn't like it, the small turning circle prevented any trifecta so I didn't like it either.
So I want to try the banshee, I put it there so the lower deck so no engineer has to take heavy clip with him.

Crew Layout:
Gunner: Heavy, greased and ammo of his choice. Spanner as repair tool
engi 1: Standard layout + lesmok
engi 2: Standart layout + lesmok
pilot: Hydrogen + spanner + lesmok, i am not sure about the other pilot tools.

The idea is that everybody takes the same ammo so everybody can man a gun and doesn't have to reload it first.

My main problem is currently, how can I organize the engineers?

I mostly piloted Pyras and Goldfishes before, I am used to run and hide if I am get engaged from the blind spot or if the engagement gets bad. With the Junker I simply can't. So I have to position myself and not rely on my speed, but how do I find a good position? What do I do when things turn out bad?

Offline Zander Broda

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: I have such a weird Junker... Questions and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:15 am »
2 things about the banshee, 1. you want to use greased with it, it gives you 10 shots that you can unload really quickly, so more stacks of fire and broken/damaged parts for the target, so having 2 on one arc is like a mini Hwacha and 2. theoretically its getting a theoretical buff in the upcoming theoretical patch, theoretically speaking anyway, so you may want to wait the 1-14 days till then.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
2 things about the banshee, 1. you want to use greased with it, it gives you 10 shots that you can unload really quickly, so more stacks of fire and broken/damaged parts for the target, so having 2 on one arc is like a mini Hwacha and 2. theoretically its getting a theoretical buff in the upcoming theoretical patch, theoretically speaking anyway, so you may want to wait the 1-14 days till then.

You mean 3 days?

Offline Zander Broda

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:15:02 am »
at PAX they said it was due out on the 16th, yesterday someone from Muse said it'd be out "this week or the next" so i'm just going off the latest thing i heard.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27:33 am »
at PAX they said it was due out on the 16th, yesterday someone from Muse said it'd be out "this week or the next" so i'm just going off the latest thing i heard.

It was originally meant to come tomorrow, but from what I've heard it'll be on Wednesday.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:52 pm »
Latest word from on high is Wednesday. As for your engineering layout, I suggest you put someone on front gun and hull (using the front repair trick), one on bottom guns and engines, and one roaming top for balloon, engines, guns, and the occasional hull run.

Offline Captain Magellan

• Salutes: 13
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:39:08 pm »
Well, one thing I find strange is the Banshee is a close range weapon. The Banshee loses it effectiveness at decent ranges, while the artemis becomes less effective up close. Why do you have them together?

Second, yeah, disabling with the Artemis is just that, disabling. However, if you throw in a gatling or merc you could get some killing potential (or a luverly Pyra to finish the job for you :D ).

Offline LiquidFire

• Salutes: 0
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:42:25 am »
The artemis really has an impressive range. Mounting one on the front of a junker softens the hell out of an opponent, leaving them vulnerable for more explosive weapons when you get close. They can't shoot back if their guns don't work!

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 03:44:54 am »
I didn't like the Merc as a Junker sidegun. I can't get a trifecta working, so I think it makes sense to either take 2 Mercs on the side or none at all. Merc + 1 Artemis wasn't rewarding in any way.

The banshee could be a cool long range gun too, with heavy clip it can hit stuff well. But yeah, in it's current state it isn't very useful.

So I don't know, 2 Artemis' seem fun, but I am unsure for the third trifecta gun. Maybe a flak? It as a decent arc and hitting with it is easy.

On a general note, I've found myself prefering the flak over the mortar as the general brawler killer, nimbler ships like goldfish, pyra etc. With the mortar the enemy ship could often flee out of effective range. Also my random crew was in general more proficient in hitting things with the flak.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:38:47 pm »
The Banshee is getting a buff from what I heard next patch, the build for my Junker typically varies according to what my ally is flying, though the thing is the Banshee is a somewhat long range weapon, Couple that with either a long range piercer or a short range one is up to you, though I have been known to run Carronade top, mortar bot, artemis front.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:32 am »
On a note about merc/artemis: it's quite good to deal a little perma hull damage before you switch to brawling. You should have the Merc on the lower deck and the Artemis on the higher though, for more overlapping arcs.

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 04:46:12 pm »
Since the patch, the Flak pretty much died for me as a short/medium range permahull killer. DPS is lower and the arming time really sucks for this job.

I dislike the mortar as a permahull killer because it is very unreliable in terms of dps on medium range.

What do you think, is the Rocket Carousel now a viable medium range killer?

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 04:49:15 pm »
Light flak is deadly now.  One clip kill all ships other than galleon and gold fish with buffed burst rounds.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:00 pm »
Well its good paired with a hades cause u add the high ignite chance but just to take it as hull killer i wouldnt say its good.
And actually mortar is nerfed quite a bid too. Just because gat has a bid less fire rate its harder to time well.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:56:11 pm »
Flak is an insanely good killer at 300+ metres. Works well when paired with a long-range piercer like merc or lesmok Hades. From my testing mortar didn't seem that bad close up. The spread's manageable and the damage got a bit of a boost.