Author Topic: Noble Houses  (Read 11623 times)

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Noble Houses
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:18:15 am »
Lets start talking about noble families, big named people, movers and shakers in the world.

What kind of personalities would we like to see, what kind of people from different factions?
I'll start with an example of what I mean, and by no means does this have to conform to a template.

Tobias Gint House Hathor, Merchants Guild.

Owning the controlling stake in some of the worlds greatest ports, Tobias has managed to elevate himself much higher than his predecessors in House Hathor.  Of a minor branch from the Julit line of fame and fortune, House Hathor fell on considerably difficult times during the gray plague that felled many cities, resulting in the loss of trade assets and shipping concerns that had been shot out of the sky by military's the world over during a brutal attempt to suppress the plagues spread during its earliest stages.

From humble beginnings as a clerk at James and Sons shipping, Tobias began collecting a network of informants from the city's youth, using his natural good wit and easy charm to cajole, sell, bribe and even blackmail opponents and allies alike till he had amassed a staggering fortune for a man of only 24 years of age.

His first order of business was to secure proper investments for his considerable income, that was quickly wearing a hole in his pocket due to the nature of high class societies trappings and needs.  Again relying on his network of now expansive informants he discovered a rather little known fact of a warm spring in the Yeshan west.  With further knowledge he soon discovered that on such a spring nine years past a large swarm of locust had nearly wiped out the grain industry of the entire southern side of the nation, leaving the Arashi city states in desperate need of food.

With new contacts in the Chaladonian Order Tobias began buying up ships as quickly as he could, sending letters and contracts while negotiating prices with Chaladonian merchants on the prospective yield of crops that hadn't even matured yet.
He gambled it all on this venture, reasoning that even if Yeshan crops didn't fail that year, he wouldn't lose every penny.

The resulting summer brought one of the most devastating locust swarms that the Yeshan Empire had ever seen.  Tobias's purchase of huge swathes of grain based on prospective yields had encouraged Chaladonian farmers to plant extra rows, yielding a surplus that was sold at an extreme mark up as the west starved for a need of food that Tobias was more than willing to provide under a new business charter called the "Eastern Grain Trade Alliance".  With Chaladon farmers being handsomely paid for their grain, and merchant ships collecting a substantial revenue in taxes the addition of several prominent Guild families monetary might was added to the alliance, allowing them to buy out the native Yeshan grain sellers, cementing the name Tobias and the Eastern Grain Trade Alliance as the premiere seller of dependable food stuffs across the continental south.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Houses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:36:17 am »
I would really like to see minor corporations that are trying to advance their own private interests alongside the Imperial/National ones in the game space.

It could come in the form of flavor text in the missions that improve the control of a nation over a territory in Adventure mode, and maybe have an effect on what kind of supplies you see available in a given town.
Like, I've done a few missions for this merchant out of City A, we shall call him Bob.  I've increased Bobs income considerably, Bob, when the territory gets an upgrade, goes from "Bobs second hand shoes for feet" becomes, "Bobs Shoes, Walk home Happy".
I continue doing business with this specific merchant in City A, improving City A, and the faction it belongs to, but also Bob.

It would be a fun way to give life to the world that would otherwise not have that personal touch, and could change and evolve over time, giving the individual cities a little more character than just the faction they belong too.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
Though I don't expect it, I would like to see Muse drop a few references to community groups or members in the Adventure mode. Like the astronaut who is also a Doctor, an Air Circus featuring a Twitchy Monkey, Ducks everywhere, Raiders who are a little too Merry, ect.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:04 am »
Those would be wonderful little nods to the community, and I don't believe it requires anything to be sacrificed from the integrity of the forming lore.

I would be fond of being able to collect different kinds of ducks for ship mast head decorations.  Collect them all!  Or maybe a a little note about a play that is popular in Yesha right now, featuring a band of Merry Men.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29:01 am »
well if the fjord baronies is going to be feudal it would be a nation of power hungry men trying to gain benefit over the other noble houses.
only a king can control such a state.

I've had this as a course in my history studies. So basicly when a feudal lord is bored, he goes to war.
if he's completely entrenched in between other feudal lords of the same king, he will go to war with them, to gain land and more power.
however the king can allow his lords to do warfare outide of his state and by that gain more power allowing his lords to keep their hands dirty and also gain more land.
It ofcourse also applies to what time in history the setting will be build around. high middle ages is diffrent from absolutism.

In the feudal time of europe there was also a strong religion present which the catholic papacy used to legalize the crusades, basicly getting christians to stop killing and fighting christians, and instead directing them towards a common enemy. - also implementing a new feudal state in Jerusalem (bigger project to explain everything here, but just making a point)

religion is also what the king would use as his legitimacy to rule his clients.

would be awesome to have this kind of feudal state introduced into the World, just as much as I would love to see early Scandinavian culture in the anglean republic, possibly with hints of pre-norman English rule.

but I don't know, I'm just looking forward to surprises from muse. I just tend to like real World history a lot :)

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:57:20 am »
Fjordlanders Unite! Skrimskraw. For the Fjord! etc. etc. I am also really excited about the Baronies and how they're going to operate within the world, though the eco/political goal wasn't reached on the Kickstarter, I'm sure we can make something happen at least within the community once it's released.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:47 am »
Fjordlanders Unite! Skrimskraw. For the Fjord! etc. etc. I am also really excited about the Baronies and how they're going to operate within the world, though the eco/political goal wasn't reached on the Kickstarter, I'm sure we can make something happen at least within the community once it's released.

thats the thing, Eric told me they are working out how the baronies would work in the world.

If you have a feudal system it would be tied to strong religious roots, where the king is granted the divine right to rule by the "church" and the church is granted power the other way around.

In the middleages of Europe there was crusades against the holy lands, which by a far stretch was purely religious. cross faction trade is not a big thing in feudal states, where money that goes out of the state is a long term loss. Wealth is gained by war and peacemaking. --> youd need something very lucrative and rare for a lord to trade with you, that he cannot gain in any other way.

common trading is led by a class of traders, who is controlled by the kings rule as to what, where and when they can trade. and especially with whom.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 02:43:02 am »
Could also take the form of a constitutional monarchy, where the Nobility act more as Barons, the King keeping economic control through treaties and trade.  With a large enough population it could be a "rule the mob rule Rome" scenario, their power entrenched in growing corporate markets.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 04:12:47 pm »
Daneth Gloamstrider. Leader of a Heavily armed Bandit group station in the Fjords. Becomes a mercenary group later an undisclosed nation that is under threat by the merchant guild. Slowly his morality will become better and is commendated by the undisclosed nation and is welcomed with open arms as a hero :3

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 02:39:25 am »
So like a pirate gone privateer gone national hero?  A few of those seeded into the world would be nice.  Each nation could have a host of different heroes or unique people, such as the captains of the various Boss ships that will be rolled out eventually.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:57 pm »
Obviously over time, but yeah, his priorities and view on the world and people changed, resulting in Breaking old alliances and creating new ones. Eventually becoming a force for good. If you don't take this idea i will and i'll make thousands of [insert your currency here] muahahahahahaha.