Author Topic: Chemical Spray achievements  (Read 5753 times)

Offline PyneApll

• Salutes: 1
    • [YEAH]
    • View Profile
Chemical Spray achievements
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:20 am »
Currently, achievements involving Extinguisher and Chem Spray are pretty much the same thing -- "Extinguish X fires with Y tool" (with Chem Spray being a bit tougher because it only extinguishes 3 stacks of fire at a time). To make things more interesting and bring more focus to what makes Chem Spray not just a "weaker Extinguisher with some post-use preventative effect," let's change the achievement requirements to something geared more towards its purpose like:

"Prevent X fires with Chemical Spray"
(This counts the fire stacks that would have inflicted a sprayed component if it had not been sprayed.)

This way, newer players may learn to be more proactive in their Chem Spray usage, especially now that extinguishing isn't possible during tool cooldowns. Instead of only using the tool to extinguish fires after they happen, they may begin to realize the benefits of spraying components briefly before combat starts and sometimes choosing Chem Spray over Extinguisher depending on opponents' loadouts/strategies.

For reference, the current achievements for Engineer involving Chem Spray are the following three:
Fixin' 11 -- Chemical Welfare [sic] (<--By the way, should this be "Warfare"? Or is it to imply that spraying aids the ship's wellness?)
Extinguish 200 fires on hull with Chemical Spray
Rebuild 200 guns

Teamwork 2 -- Fireproof
Extinguish 20 fires on guns with Chemical Spray

Experience 3 -- Dowsed
Extinguish 100 fires with Chemical Spray
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:04:54 am by PyneApll »

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Spray achievements
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:25 am »
I totally agree PyneApll.  To get the Chem Spray achievements, you have to use the Chem spray incorrectly.  That is, you have to take chem spray into a match and then wait for fires to start BEFORE you use it.  This is opposite to how you effectively use this tool.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:26 am »
You know I actually really like this idea. I still think the Chem spray needs to be tweaked in order to be allowed on my ship (me no likey Chem Spray), but I see no reason why this isn't already a think. I think it's because of how Chem spray used to work, before when you coud extinguish fires even on a cool-down (aka 3 stack reduction every time you sprayed it, 2 seconds apart).

Offline Lord Vid O' Gam

• Salutes: 0
    • [kek]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:06:51 am »
It's a good suggestion, extinguishing fires is horrible with ChemSpray, not to menion you'll be pissing off the other Engineer in case he has the Extinguisher. I think a component being hit by fire while being dowsed in ChemSpray (so it prevents the fire) should count towards an achievement rather than extinguishing an actual fire with it.

Most of the time people will bring Extinguisher because it's easy and straightforward, they don't know how to handle ChemSpray yet. Last time while fighting a Mobula with 5 Flare Guns (don't ask) the proper way for me to handle it as Engie on a Pyra was to sit on the hull, constantly repairing bit by bit with Spanner and extinguish immediately with Extinguisher.
The other Engie on the balloon didn't understand the way his ChemSpray worked, he didn't spray it in advance at all, nor did he re-spray to keep it cool at all times.

tl;dr Teaching people how to effectively use ChemSpray through achievements could be great.