Author Topic: GoI Players are Rude.  (Read 28647 times)

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
Re: GoI Players are Rude.
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »
QKO, once again I pretty much disagree with you completely. You say you're not harsh on newcomers, but your suggestions on how to deal with them pretty much always assume the worst- that players who don't learn quickly enough are "intentional f***ups." (watch your language, please) Saying things like "disobedience makes a crew weak" is a pretty harsh way to approach your crew, and I doubt it's the most productive way to get people to work with you. In my opinion, there is absolutely no situation in which you should be yelling at another player. Explain what they're doing wrong, suggest what you think they could do better and attempt to lead them to a better way of playing. Don't just write them off as "a weakness" and then complain about what "awful" players you have to deal with.

My point was that, in GoIO, you win or lose as a crew. The ship is to GoIO as the individual player is to pretty much every other game out there. You have to cooperate, not just to win, but to even play the game in any real fashion. Imagine an FPS where you had three people controlling the same space marine- one handled the movement, one aimed the gun and one chose when to fire. To an experienced FPS player, it sounds insanely complex. You have to coordinate the most basic actions in the game. To someone who's used to fully controlling their character as a discrete unit on the battlefield, I can see why GoIO can be a little hard to wrap their head around.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »
No, I didn't say that players who don't learn quick enough are intentional fuckups. You're twisting my words just so you can disagree with me. You follow up with the stuff that all of us are already doing. There is a group of people that try to take advice and try to execute it to their best extend. They don't get yelled at by me, they don't get yelled at by anyone other respectable player. There is however, this distinct group (if you play the game you would meet them) that just ignores you and ignores your advice. No matter how patient you are, there will always be that idiot that simply doesn't react to reason or refuses to acknowledge you until you start yelling at him(yes, I get those too). Some rarities even manage to ignore you after you started yelling at them. My job as captain is to direct my crew and coordinate with my teammates. If my crew does not listen, my ship does not fly to its full capabilities. And as such my ship is essentially weaker than my opponent's; because one should always assume that the opposing team does work as a unit. This is not harsh, this is just how teamgames work. One of the players not doing his job? Pack up and go home. It really is that simple.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 10:25:10 pm »
[...] There is however, this distinct group (if you play the game you would meet them) that just ignores you and ignores your advice. [...]

I've never denied that people like this exist. I have, however, disagreed with you on just how prevalent these people are. Frankly? I haven't met all that many of them, and for the record, I do actually play this game. You are taking an insignificantly small section of the player population, blowing it way out of proportion and then reacting as if there's some sort of epidemic of awful that threatens to overwhelm all the right-thinking and well-meaning players who actually communicate and are willing to learn.

There is not, and treating the situation as if it does exist is a sure way to drive otherwise potentially great players away from the game for good.

I'm also not denying that a captain's job is to help coordinate and teach their crew, and that if said crew isn't listening then the ship will be weaker. (in fact, that's exactly what I've been saying) I was reacting to a series of posts in which people were mocking that subset of new players who may have come into the game after mostly playing FPS games. My intent was to show how those players may have different expectations of the game, based on their understanding of what a game is, and how that should affect the ways we reach out to them. Obviously, no amount of good sportsmanship and well-meant advice is going to reach those who don't want to be taught, but it can sometimes be hard to distinguish between the genuine 'bad eggs' and those who are merely confused about what the game is asking of them.

Finally, your point about packing up and going home when someone's not willing to listen no matter how much you try to explain things to them? You're absolutely right! In fact...

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:26 pm »
You guys are kinda wasting your time. Check his post history, all this QKO cat does is argue.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 02:24:13 am »
You guys are kinda wasting your time. Check his post history, all this QKO cat does is argue.

This

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 09:09:07 am »
I've never denied that people like this exist. I have, however, disagreed with you on just how prevalent these people are. Frankly? I haven't met all that many of them, and for the record, I do actually play this game. You are taking an insignificantly small section of the player population, blowing it way out of proportion and then reacting as if there's some sort of epidemic of awful that threatens to overwhelm all the right-thinking and well-meaning players who actually communicate and are willing to learn.

There is not, and treating the situation as if it does exist is a sure way to drive otherwise potentially great players away from the game for good.

I'm also not denying that a captain's job is to help coordinate and teach their crew, and that if said crew isn't listening then the ship will be weaker. (in fact, that's exactly what I've been saying) I was reacting to a series of posts in which people were mocking that subset of new players who may have come into the game after mostly playing FPS games. My intent was to show how those players may have different expectations of the game, based on their understanding of what a game is, and how that should affect the ways we reach out to them. Obviously, no amount of good sportsmanship and well-meant advice is going to reach those who don't want to be taught, but it can sometimes be hard to distinguish between the genuine 'bad eggs' and those who are merely confused about what the game is asking of them.

Finally, your point about packing up and going home when someone's not willing to listen no matter how much you try to explain things to them? You're absolutely right! In fact...
I'm seeing the average of one of every game. Sometimes they come in pairs, sometimes they come in quartets. Sometimes they are found in my team and sometimes they are found in the opposing team. And yes, they are easily spotted when they are running around with a 4 hwacha + 2 mortar galleon. I can even tell them it won't work and they will even become offensive to you; sometimes even saying you don't know what you're talking about. I have had people that were set on ignoring me on my crew, I've had them as a fellow captain. Some people ignored me until I yelled at them and then they complain about me yelling at them. There's regular occurrences of block worthy voicecom users, sometimes they are even on your team. Feel free to tag along a few times if you want, I'll be happy to show you.

It's kind of stupid to enter a discussion to tell people you agree isn't it?

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 09:22:37 am »
That's definitely your philosophy.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 09:24:48 am »
No personal attacks of any sort. Please. This thread will be locked if they continue.