Author Topic: Questions about streaming and recording/ Also clip editing.  (Read 9090 times)

Offline TimmyB

• Salutes: 1
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • The Gents
Questions about streaming and recording/ Also clip editing.
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:14:18 am »
Id like to put together a video for our clan and im wondering if you guys can help me find a good program for streaming so that I might be able to stream and save the footage clips from the GOIO matches that I record in. The plan is to record the streams of certain setup situations in game and then to cut the scenes together to music with the end game of having a sweet clan video to show off to people  ;)    Kinda clueless though when it comes to this since ive never done any editing before. I have tons of ideas and know how I want it in my head. I just need the tools to get me there.
So first off

1st-I need a program that I can stream and it has to be able to record those streams.
2nd- I also need a video editing program that I can use to cut and paste the previously recorded streams so that I only have the clips that I want in it.

Also is it possible to stream from a 1st person point of view? Such as if I was a Pilot or a Gunner could I record a stream as him from the helm or on a gun?
Any help here would be much appreciated and especially if you can name the 2 main programs that I need to make this happen. The last thing ill bring up for now is if the streaming program and video editor is free that would be optimal since I am poor. If you think you can help me my steam name [G] TimmyB  ...id be very grateful to anyone who can help me get started on this little project! Hope to hear from some of you with good news soon!
Thanks TimmyB

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about streaming and recording/ Also clip editing.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
I am using Bandicam for recording most of my gameplay, it's free and easy to use, lots of customizing options available as well. It allows for 10-minute videos at once, but if you press record right after the ten minutes are over, it'll just start recording again, so you can record whole matches with it. The only problem is that it puts a bandicam logo on top of the screen for advertising (it's not that big, only the website address, and it's quite understandable since you use it for free). If anyone can bring up better recorders, I would also be interested in them, though. :)

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:45:30 am »
Open Broadcaster Software, http://obsproject.com/

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:15:05 am »
I am using Bandicam for recording most of my gameplay, it's free and easy to use, lots of customizing options available as well. It allows for 10-minute videos at once, but if you press record right after the ten minutes are over, it'll just start recording again, so you can record whole matches with it. The only problem is that it puts a bandicam logo on top of the screen for advertising (it's not that big, only the website address, and it's quite understandable since you use it for free). If anyone can bring up better recorders, I would also be interested in them, though. :)
You can *ahem* "acquire" Fraps if you do some google searching, it's probably the best for pure recording. However just be aware that it records raw format and a video as sort as 5 minutes can take something ridiculous like 20GB.

Now, as for the OP's question, yes, if you're looking to both stream and record, OBS (what Xemko) linked will probably the best way to go about it unless you want to pay for Xsplit (OBS is probably better for smaller scale stuff though so you should be quite alright with it, it's what I use as well). There is... a plethora of youtube videos you can find about how to set up OBS so don't be afraid of it, though if you want some personal help, I can probably walk you through most of it in a matter of minutes as well.

Now, as for editing, that's where you're going to run into some problems if you don't have the budget to pay for a program. Stuff like Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro are pretty friggin expensive, Sony Vegas is probably the cheapest option you'd have for editing software, and even that's usually $60+ (unsure of the exact price, haven't looked it up recently).
Free video editing software you're pretty much going to be reduced to using either iMovie if you have a Mac, or Windows Movie Maker which, if you don't have I believe you can still download for free of Microsoft's website. Neither of those are going to offer you the levels of customization and well... pure options that paid for programs can of course, but they're... serviceable.

Good luck, let me know if you need any help!

Offline TimmyB

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • The Gents
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »
Hey thanks so much for in the info guys I really appreciate it! Editing and streaming/ recording is all new to me so at some point ill def have some questions! If you guys could add me on steam my name -  [G] TimmyB -I don't have any programs currently to do any this atm. But its something ive ben thinking about a lot and I think it would be awesome. To get all the setup shots id require clan members and in game friends of GOIO so that the AI doesn't just start shooting each other when were trying to setup armada flying and all the explosions etc etc. So when this finally does come to light your all welcome to join our private match and help setup all the sweet clips that we will need to make the video badass. since Im thinking we use 6 ships I need a lot of clan mates and some friends..if you are your buddies are interested. like I said I wanted a good gent video but its become apparent that it will emd up neing getns and friends..so it shoud be good for the community as a whoe. ive got tons of sweet ideas in my head for sweet flying shot and killer explosions! clips wont be to long to get its just that we will be using lots of them and going between different point of views. even have a a sweet 4 min song that id like to place the entire thing too. so if you are any buddies would like to be a part of it. Ill give you or your clan credit in it. Again please add my steam name......[G] Timmyb.......my steam name is me playing guitar on a toilet lol....and what id like to do is chat with guys sometime on teamspeak to get a better understanding of what my ideas are and how all these programs work that ill need. with a password lobby of my clan and maybe u guys and some of your friends in a 3vs3 match I think we could knock out the actually game play clips in a day. Once again thanks and add me on steam..ill post a couple of the ideas I had in my head below in a new post so you see the kinda shots I want to do!
-TimmyB

Offline TimmyB

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • The Gents
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:47:52 pm »
1- The shot starts with a POV of the manticore gunner with a ship in his sight.
2- From the spectator cam we see a ship on the left and 5 Galleons on the right shooting 10 manticores with greased rounds so they come out insanely fast and in large quantity.
3-Next from crewman pov on the lone ship you see his 3 other teammates standing side by side in front of him looking out the side of the ship almost as if they know their doomed as the see the 10 manticores rounds coming right for them.
4- To finish the shot we would just change the angle of the spectator cam so its focused on the target ship..and behind the spectate cam we have the galleons move real close and use burst ammo in the manticores. so they be shooting through the spectate cam and hitting the lone ship almost point blank but because of the previous shots youd think their further away. and 10 close up manticores with burst would just wipe them off the planet.

Offline TimmyB

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • The Gents
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 03:50:33 pm »
Heres one more of the stuff I think wou1- The shot starts with a POV of the manticore gunner with a ship in his sight.
2- From the spectator cam we see a ship on the left and 5 Galleons on the right shooting 10 manticores with greased rounds so they come out insanely fast and in large quantity.
3-Next from crewman pov on the lone ship you see his 3 other teammates standing side by side in front of him looking out the side of the ship almost as if they know their doomed as the see the 10 manticores rounds coming right for them.
4- To finish the shot we would just change the angle of the spectator cam so its focused on the target ship..and behind the spectate cam we have the galleons move real close and use burst ammo in the manticores. so they be shooting through the spectate cam and hitting the lone ship almost point blank but because of the previous shots youd think their further away. and 10 close up manticores with burst would just wipe them off the planet.d 1- The shot starts with a POV of the manticore gunner with a ship in his sight.
4- To finish the shot we would just change the angle of the spectator cam so its focused on the target ship..and behind the spectate cam we have the galleons move real close and use burst ammo in the manticores. so they be shooting through the spectate cam and hitting the lone ship almost point blank but because of the previous shots youd think their further away. and 10 close up manticores with burst would just wipe them off the planet.

Offline TimmyB

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • The Gents
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 04:07:07 pm »
OK heres another example...starts on spire...from the pov of the gunner on heavy flak..he fires a round at a ship way far in distance. then using the spectator cam we zoom fast from the spire to the ship like were using bullt cam..then right before it hits we show the spire just blowing into million pieces! I want cool things like this! tons of ships exploding..getting rammed to death and generally dying all over the place. I also think flying in formations would be sweet..for instance a pyra flying with 4 squids flying in wingman formation around it coming towards the spectator cam..then like in the movies the squids bank hard and low into different directions...top gun style! haha..Just a lot of cool ideas we could do with the right  cooperation. finally heres a song that I think would great with the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AA1rfKkWkI

All feedback is welcome and if you want to part of it cool..if you just want to halp with the tech side that's appreciated also!
add me on steam [G] TimmyB
GOIO name [GENT] TimmyB

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:31:38 am »
I guess most of the cutting part can be done with Movie Maker since what you probably want are simple cuts/shots and not fancy effects or highly artistic ways of one scene fading into another (zooming is done with the game camera anyway). Also if you can refrain from using too many typical Movie Maker animations, most people won't be able to tell which program you used for editing. As for the recording, based on what you described, you'll need a bunch of people recording at the same time, with the same type of recorder, from different angles in order to make enough footage of what you want to show. The cutting part will be easy later on, what you need is lots of raw material.

What I often do for such montages is to record whole matches (there's always at least one, but usually more rare/exciting moments in them) and cut out those parts I loved the most. You can also cheat a bit if you can't bring together enough clanmates to stage scenes (as what you described here seems to require a rather big group of people being online at the same time) by recording stranger matches and using a couple of scenes from there. Spectate matches where there's a Spire and wait for someone to blow it up  :P. If you turn off UI and stay at a distance from the ship (so that you cant see players on it) nobody will tell that it's not the same Spire they saw in the previous shot (just be careful with flag colors). This can make recording faster as you dont have to wait for your clanmates to "stage" an entire match scene for you, but you can record scenes from elsewhere and mix those with your clanmate scenes (unless of course you definitely insist on seeing your clanmates there all the time, after all, this is meant to be a clan video). Also, it's not realistic though, but using speed up on GoI scenes makes them look more dynamic, since originally ships move rather slowly and it's difficult to show intense action on camera with things moving like snails (although in match it seems like we're whoosing ahead...especially when there's that rock and you should stop..pretty damn quick..and you can't..  :P) Anyway, these are my thoughts.