Author Topic: Helm rope - Tool or keybind suggestion  (Read 12864 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Helm rope - Tool or keybind suggestion
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:45:43 pm »
As it is, you can set your throttle to whatever, and it stays there after leaving the helm. This is useful at times. However, the wheel auto-centers. This is ok most of the time, but there are times when you would want to lock both the throttle and wheel in place for sustained turns.

What I suggest is actually a common sight on real ships, a loop of rope that holds the wheel wherever you set it. This could be done in two ways. A keybind (such as hitting space), or a pilot tool (such as rope, or auto-gadget). Given that this frees the captain to man a gun or fix things, while the ship is still able to circle a target a simple keybind may be too advantageous. A tool, on the other hand, would handicap the captain in other areas in favor of auto-circle.

Another possible feature of a rope/auto-tool could be the ability to set the balloon to rise or fall as well as helm rotation. This would help in those annoying situations where you are bouncing on the ground and the AI engineer thinks the flamethrower is the most important thing in the world to fix at that moment.

Offline dasfoxx

• Salutes: 1
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Helm rope - Tool or keybind suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:02:42 am »
That's an interesting proposal. It would be a bit helpful on some ships; probably kill you on others. I can see it being possibly helpful for some decent players but harmful to a low level player that gets bored of steering and wants to man a gun, though probably not much more harmful than that currently is. A lot of pilots make sure to point their ship where they want it before getting off the wheel in the rare case they are in need to do so. Most just never get off the wheel which is normal as you want to be in control of a ship.

Something to take note of is that an AI rework is coming soon. so that silly AI will be a bit more helpful to ya :D

Offline Cheeseycom

• Salutes: 3
    • [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:46:28 am »
I would tend to agree that it could be harmful in the wrong (e.g. inexperienced) hands, but potentially quite useful for advanced players - especially in matches where you're stuck without a full crew.
However this could be easily avoided by making it an unlockable item gained upon reaching a certain pilot level.. say.. anything from level 3 onwards.

It makes sense to me that it would be a pilot item, as the benefit of gaining another (temporary) Engineer or Gunner would be balanced to some degree by the loss of an additional pilot item.
You would have to be careful with it though - if it works simply by selecting it, in the heat of battle a player might scroll through their items only to end up accidentally locking the wheel at a bad time.
Perhaps a combination of the two, such as pressing a key once the item slot is selected (perhaps there could even be different keys for selecting steering lock, altitude lock, or both).

I think it would also be prudent for the lock to deactivate should another player take the helm, just in case the pilot gets distracted and doesn't notice the heading is about to plough them into a bit of terrain.

I think it could be a very useful item that would enable some advanced tactics on certain ships (I can see the Galleon benefiting from this far more than the Mobula, for example). As Dasfoxx says, on some ships it would more than likely get you killed.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »
Just an extra thought, but as a counter to this, collisions should reset all helm controls (aside from maybe balloon rise) to neutral if no one is at the helm.

As per locking the helm accidentally, the wheel would only lock if you set your 'ropes' tool to active, then left the helm. As soon as anyone got back on the helm, it would reset. So, I suppose it would already be a 'tool + key (E by default)' combo.

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »
Lock the wheel and jump off the ship! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5i-GQQu-Ss&t=59m50s

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:48 pm »
I actually like this idea pretty much!
Might come in handy in some situations.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:41 pm »
I've been in multiple situations where this would've come in handy. When I need to hop off the helm of a Junker, Goldfish, Spire or Galleon to help with repairing the balloon, for instance. It would help diversify the Captain, giving him a possible extra role on his ship.

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:06:00 am »
Just an extra thought, but as a counter to this, collisions should reset all helm controls (aside from maybe balloon rise) to neutral if no one is at the helm.

Good idea, it probably wouldn't be very popular if it could drive your ship into the ground repeatedly until you were dead.. although perhaps this should be a flaw left in to balance the usefulness of the tool out - after all, most other tools have some kind of negative consequence for their use as well as the positive.. at the moment all this has is the fact that the pilot will be away from the controls if something unexpected happens.

However I definitely agree that ship-to-ship collisions should knock the control lock off.. it allows the opposing players the chance to counter the advantage you may have gained by gaining the pilot as an additional gunner or engineer.. if they're smart enough to read the situation correctly and ram you off course, that is.
I don't see Spires being able to counter this somehow.. but they're fast enough to dodge a ship on 'autopilot' anyway.

As per locking the helm accidentally, the wheel would only lock if you set your 'ropes' tool to active, then left the helm. As soon as anyone got back on the helm, it would reset. So, I suppose it would already be a 'tool + key (E by default)' combo.

Makes sense, and would be a lot less complicated than what I was suggesting.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:52 am »
Dammit, I keep reading helm rape when I see this thread. Anyway, I'd like to have the ability to lock the wheel and even raise and lower controls. So I support the OP's idea.

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:55 pm »
I like this idea very much. I can think of a few different ways this would be really good on the pyra and the junker.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:50:34 am »
I like this idea very much. I can think of a few different ways this would be really good on the pyra and the junker.

what about on a galleon?? just keep it turning and while your starboard is reloading your port will get into arc and vice versa! major damage dealing potential :)

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 11:54:00 am »
I do think this would be a great item for ships that benefit from an extra gunner/engineer. I could see using it on my Junker when the balloon gets popped, so that I can set it to keep turning while I help repair. Or hop on the upper guns for a quick round while my engineers deal with repairing things.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55:42 am »
You could use it on the mobula too when you jump up on that gun.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »

That bug is getting fixed, so...

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 06:00:57 pm »

That bug is getting fixed, so...

Even without the bug to get up there, the pilot would still be able to get up the ladder and jump down to take the wheel when necessary.
Although I question the usefulness of something that can lock you into a turn on a ship that can mostly only fire forwards.. >.<

Still, on any ship other than the Mobula I can see it working quite well.