Author Topic: Use spectator ship health system for in game  (Read 8479 times)

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
Use spectator ship health system for in game
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »
I was spectating the other day for the first time in several months and while looking through the ships I noticed the (possibly) new health bar indicators on the side of the screen. Is it possible to move this to in game?

Everybody says a good engineer keeps on eye on all of the ship even while moving around but the problem is trying to watch the hull as the icon goes flying from side of the left of my screen, to the top, to the left, to the right, etc. Not to mention it makes it impossible to tell which gun/engine has gone down without turning your character.

Edit: apparently other people are talking about something similar for captains in another thread, I think it's far less important as a captain. They don't move nearly as much and I wouldn't want the game to become a thing where the captain was watching every move you made "Oh you're doing the left engine right now? I need the right one! Why are you tapping the balloon right now when..." Seems like it could become a micro-managing nightmare.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:38:46 pm by treseritops »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Use spectator ship health system for in game
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:48:40 pm »
Any suggestion of adding more UI makes me cringe a little. The minimalist style that has been in goio since its release has forever been something I like and want real no additions to when it comes to in-match. It keeps everything less cluttered and more focused on the game rather than staring at bars all the time.

As for determining what is broken, I feel that is the captain's job to know what is broken, and what he wants fixed as priority. Engies do run about and keep a ship running, but it is a captain's responsibility to let them know of imminent issues, and adding more UI would take away from that level of communication, and potentially lead to confusion.

Nothing personal, but I am firmly against more UI for in-match. The additions to spectate were nice, but only for spectate.

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:45:28 pm »
Well, maybe just place subsystem icons on some permanent place? Like, left lower corner of screen or something.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:58 pm »
I'd like to see something like this in the practice mode actually, not in a real match, but I think it would help gauge the effectiveness of certain builds in practice.

Offline treseritops

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:32:53 am »
Well, maybe just place subsystem icons on some permanent place? Like, left lower corner of screen or something.

I think that's a better middle ground vs. the entire UI being added truthfully.

Offline Elendu

• Salutes: 2
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
    • MeinKraft Online
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:41 am »
I have to agree with Zill;  I like the minimalist look, and adding much more would potentially mean more of one person telling others what to do, instead of relying on the crew to act as a team and call out what is currently down.  Four players on a ship means four pairs of eyes, so a good team would rely on everyone keeping an eye out for the various parts of the ship instead of one person micromanaging it all.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:14:58 am »
I like the UI the way it is now. It was a very smart Idea to have the Icons show up over the component and only when it's damaged. Less is sometimes more.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:13:46 am »
Was going to make a point, but I'd just end up repeating exactly what Zill said.

Also yeah, more UI in this game is always worse.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:59:02 am »

@Zill and supporters: This would not actually add anything to the HUD. Just fix something that already is there. Would need different icons for main and steering engines though, probably even for left/right steering engine or 4 different icons in case of the squid.

@OP: I have to agree with Zill too. Having all health indicatrs for the ships components would be too much, especially if they are always visible, even at full health, just like in spectator mode as you suggested.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:03:00 am by Sprayer »

Offline treseritops

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »
When it comes down to it my main concern is just having them stay still once they show up honestly. It's just frustrating to try to find the hull armor icon as it flies all around the edge of the screen if you're making an engine run on the pyra, or a balloon on the junker, etc.

So same amount of UI, just stationary.