Author Topic: Idea to end all hatred of certain maps  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Idea to end all hatred of certain maps
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:12:45 am »
Teams select their home fields when they signup for stuff. Then when events happen a random draw is decided for the match. Either a home or away game. If the team plays a home game one week, then the next they'll play an away game. Or just give it another random draw/flip a coin/whatever. Home field teams get selection of team color of course.

Downside is...likely we'll be seeing many of the same maps popping up. Could potentially have a day where it is the same map 3-4x in a row. Course this will just go to show how much some teams hate...loath...despise certain maps.

Upside is...teams will be happier, matches will be more intense since you get to see teams actually playing on maps they are more comfortable on. You won't have teams constantly drawing say...Labyrinth over and over week after week. You can also do record keeping with it and give percentages for wins on the road or wins at home. Teams could also select maps that other teams don't like as their home field. Then just master it. Many little games they could play that could mix things up nicely.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Idea to end all hatred of certain maps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:16:22 am »
The solution is to simply remove the problematic maps from the pool. There's a reason Dunes and Labyrinth are not played in any of my events.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:53:16 am »
Eh? Cogs runes Dunes and Labyrinth.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:02:50 am »
dunes are fairly ok after the cloud adds in my opinion.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:13 am »
I don't know. Say that SnipingTeam, of the clan SnipeyPowLeetHaxors, are the home team. It doesn't make sense that they'll pick a fair match, giving home teams an unfair advantage, which I guess is to be expected. I guess I prefer the luck of the draw giving me a random map that I'm bad with than me or my enemy choosing a map they can do best on.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:20:27 pm »
Yeah but you'd trade off the next week and you'd be on home field advantage. If your home field and the snipey team's home field just happened to be the same then there wouldn't be anything to complain about.

You can simply remove the problematic maps from the pool, but you'll still have teams being forced to play on the same maps week after week. Really it gets dull. The inevitable groaning that comes when crews hoping to play something else, end up on the same map for another week. This doesn't get so bad in events like the Sky Tourney where you have a best of series. The maps rotate and overall people enjoy the event much better.

Cogs is a poorly designed system and the primary reason for a home field feature if it was to remain in it's state.