Author Topic: Just For Fun: Sky Whalers  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
Just For Fun: Sky Whalers
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
Ahoy, mateys! Do ye be tirin' o' tha reg'ler gamin' in Guns o' Icarus? Do ye be searchin' fer a excitin' new way ta play tha game? Then ye best be readin' further, as I speak ta ye o' tha greatest an' glorioust profession a sky-man or sky-woman1 can be- tha Sky Whaler!

Ta be playin' Sky Whalers, ye be needin' two teams- tha first be tha Sky Whalers themselves, tha secon' be their great n' noble prey...the Sky Whales. Ye can be playin' wit either four ships or six ships, but I be suggestin' to ye to bring as many swabbies as ye can.

Sky Whalers
Tha team what be tha colour o' tha sweetest wines
Tha Sky Whalers are tha hunters, a-searchin' and a-seekin' their prey through tha clouds o' Icarus. Tha Sky Whalers should fly tha lightest n' most graceful o' the crafts o' Icarus- tha Squid.2 When huntin' fer their quarry, tha Sky Whalers rely on two o' tha finest weapons in all o' tha skies: tha Harpoon n' tha Flamer. One's ta catch 'em with, tha others ta cook 'em. Have ye ever had fresh sky whale, me hearties? 'Tis a dish ta die fer.

Sky Whales
Tha team what be tha colour o' tha deepest seas
Now, ye may be thinkin', "But Cap'n, what can a mere whale do again' such fearsome foes!?" Well, fret yer pretty lil' heads not, me friends. For the Sky Whales o' Icarus are not yer av'rage aquatic mammals. Nay, tha Sky Whale be a truly troublesome beast, tha can kill any ship tha' approaches unwary. Tha Sky Whales be flyin' tha solid Junker, an be layin' out their ship in such a mann'r: four mine launchers on tha sides, to approx'mate tha beasts' habit o' flingin' barnacles at 'is foes; an' one light carronade shotgun on tha bow, 'cause tha beasts have been known ta spit their last meals in an attempt ta throw off pursuers.3

Tha mos' imp'rtant thing ta be rememberin', me friends, is nay ta bring any fire exting'shers or fancy-pancy chem'cal sprays. Thar be no water in tha air fer a Sky Whale to put themselves out with- 'tis just science.

One last thing me'lads 'n ladies; 'tis considered sportsmanlike, after a rousin' game o' Sky Whaling, ta switch sides- tha Sky Whalers takin' a turn at bein' whales, an' tha Sky Whales gettin' a chance to return tha favor. Rememb'r, we be all here ta be havin' a good time.

1Tha skies be a place o' equal employm'nt opportun'ty.
2I saw me a squid once, a'floatin' in tha sea, big eyes a'starin' at me ship.
3Tha sky whale diet cons'sts mostly o' metal shards, occas'naly on fire.

Editor's Note: I was playing in a lobby today that came up with the idea for a "sky whaling" game setup, where one team played the "whalers" who flew Squids and used harpoons and flamers, and one team was the "whales," who flew Junkers and used mines and a carronade. When we played it, no ship had more than two non-AI crew, so I'd be interested to see how it goes with full complements. Also, we hadn't banned extinguishers, making it very hard for the whalers to get kills. I'm a little worried that might make the whales too vulnerable, but Junkers are pretty tough. (and those carronades are deady!) Anyway, though I'd reproduce the idea here for others to try out and enjoy- it was a very fun match, though very slooooow.

Offline Zander Broda

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Just For Fun: Sky Whalers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:57:18 am »
since there is no like button in this forum, i will simply give you a salute.

i want to do this so bad.

(also: what does it say of my maturity that i thought for sure the mines were going to be whale poop? )

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:51:08 am »
I see where you got this idea from.

+ 1 like

Offline Captain McFaceSmashy

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:41:49 am »
Sky-Whales are there to be murdered. Slaughtered by the dozens until the day I finally get revenge for my master, by slaying Moby Dilatator who ate him.
I have no interest in eating or cooking them, and must inform you that killing sky-whales is done more effectively with other weapons (such as gat-mortar, or even mercury-flak).

You are also heavily misinformed about the sky-whales lethality. They are very varied in their methods of attack, their shape, size, and toughness, but they are all out to kill you, not throw barnacles or spit at you. These fuckers throw all manner of exploding shit your way from any number of unknown orifices (which also leads me to believe they would in fact taste horribly bad).

Other than that good job in promoting the sky-whale extermination, your face will remain unsmashed for now.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 05:05:40 pm »
Well, the idea was to promote a different sort of gameplay than you get during normal matches. If you just used Gat/Morter and Mercury/Flak, what's different from a regular deathmatch?

A possible variant would be switch things up and go "Sky Squid-ing." Basically, you get three Squids armed only with mine launchers versus Junkers who use harpoons and flamers. The Squid's superior mobility would help make up for its lack of direct-damaging power, while the Junkers attempt to harpoon the slippery Squids so they can fry them alive. And, of course, the Squids would all bring tar.

...to be honest, that sounds like it would be a bit more balanced. I'm not rewriting the whole thing, though. ;P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:19:01 pm by Eukari »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:58 pm »
Sky Whales are coming, I can hear them on the wind.  Tremble, for their fury is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlBVZj3p-Ao

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:35:48 pm »
Holy crap windforge!!!

It's like Guns of Icarus and Minecraft had a baby and all the Skywhales came by to watch the baby making.