Author Topic: What did you name YOURSELF and why?  (Read 45733 times)

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: What did you name YOURSELF and why?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »
Imagine is a name I first used when I played CS 1.6 way way way back in the day. I didn't use it again for a long time, but after never being able to settle on a handle, I figured I might as well use that again. As to where I got Imagine in the first place, I have no goddamn clue. I do like short and simple words so... probably had something to do with that.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »
The history of my name starts with when I played FFXI. I tried coming up with something with 'frag' in the name that sounded vaguely medieval. Eventually I came up with 'Fragimer,' which I continued to use for years, taking the name with me to WoW and other games.

After a few years, though, I grew a bit tired of the name since I'd had it for a while and wasn't completely satisfied with it (although looking back now, Fragimer's actually not a bad name, so I may use it some more). I tried coming up with something that included the word 'frag' (since I got used to be being called 'Frag' for short) and, ideally, started with the letter 'n' (my first name is Nick, like Sunderland actually). I was also hoping to include something spanish-y sounding, since I'm half-mexican (but in looks and upbringing, I'm basically a suburban white male). Lucky for me, during a spanish class in high school, I was just sort of flipping through the 'N' section of a spanish-english dictionary when I spotted the word 'náufrago'. It was perfect for me!

náufrago- shipwrecked person, castaway.

I didn't change the names of any of my existing characters, but pretty much all of my online names since finding 'naufrago' have been some variation of that word. It also helped that it's a fun pun for several of the games I played or play (EVE online, GOIO).

So yeah, if you see me around, feel free to call me 'Frag' or 'Frago'. It's what I'm most used to. I do respond to people calling me 'Nau', but it's not preferred. I also tend to not capitalize my name. No particular reason, I just prefer it that way.

EDIT: I should note that it's actually kinda hard to get the name 'naufrago' sometimes, since some spanish-speaking folks like that name too. Guess it should be kinda expected when you use a word out of a dictionary as your username.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:12:54 pm by naufrago »

Offline Morbie

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 22
    • [Sexy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 08:48:44 pm »
Man. Just a few of us Nicks out there, huh?
Well I bummed around the net for quite a while as 'Manta' in my early teens, but never overly got attatched to the name or anything. When I picked up the orange box around 5 years ago, I had to set up a steam account, but Manta was taken. So after a huge amount of thinking, I settled with "Morbid_Myths" because isn't it just fun being that angsty, young teenager? Wahahahha.
Over the course of 2 years, and being in a L4D2 clan, I ended up just being called "Morbid" by people, which I still actually answer to quite easily, and was actually called by most people in my last year of highschool. Morbid then became diminutised over the course of that same year and ended up as Morbie.
Cool story, bro? 

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 08:55:30 pm »
Chipset Unity/Linux Localhost. Executable Namespace.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 04:50:58 am »
Man my username, all honesty, this was my first one I tried hard to come up with somehow. My few past ones, I usually tend to try some Asian aspect into them like Kamikaze711. But looking at them, they tended to be too generic. What started what would be my current name was when a group of my friends started a YouTube gaming channel, and their names got me thinking of one for myself as they wanted me to be in some videos. What gave me my name was, when I looked outside my window, I can literally see the Mexican-American Border, and me being Asian gave me an idea. Since I live near a borderline and myself being Asian, I combined the two and became what is now this name today. Basically know I use the BorderLineAzn or my shorten form BdrLineAzn as my gaming name as it usually no one has taken it and is a bit unquie.

(Downside though for my shorten form, not that many people know their abbreviations and think that my shorten name is a jumble of laters or just call me line :P )

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 07:10:15 pm »
My real name is Timothée ( which is French for Timothy )
I have many nicknames, one of them being TimTim Killah ( my "fake" rapper identity ;) )
Coming into this game and from what I had seen of it, I felt like I needed a name that would not fit a character in the GOIO universe. I kept TimTim because at that moment I was pretty used to being called that way, and I liked the sound of it.
Then I wanted to add a ridiculously French last name, because I knew I was stepping in an international community, and wanted to be easily identified as French. Baguette was the first thing that came to my mind, obviously. I thought about "De LaBaguette" but I preferred the flow of TimTim LaBaguette.

Otherwise my other internet usernames are usually names I use for RolePlaying. I always have names starting with a T ( just like my real name, and I like this letter <3 ), except my current steam name which is Coq1. It's a little play on word, with Coq meaning rooster and Coq1 being pronounced the same way as coquin which means kinky, naughty, saucy... It's a word I used a lot in these past 3 years and which I still use quite often.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 11:16:01 pm »
My first username was on that neopets thing ....

Oh god...if I had to go that far back.....
All the flak I got for having the user name "DragonSkinner" because I was either anti-dragons...or didn't have dragons in that profile.

Technically, that is still my username, well at least "Dragon" is....but because of Neopets, I don't use him often...

ThenofcoursecomesthefactthatIwantedtokilleveryoneintheeighthgradethroughsenioryear,sothat'swhereLetuscamefrom...

Offline Barreltroll

• Salutes: 2
    • [OVWs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 07:08:55 am »
Mine comes from a Warcraft character I created during the Cataclysm expansion. I returned to the game after a 3 year hiatus whilst at University, and I was quite excited to see the new race/class combinations. After maining a tauren Paladin called Demopan for a while (also, I'm a huge tf2 fan), I finally decided to create a troll/druid.

I was really stuck on a name, I spend a lot of time coming up with one that I'm happy with and refuse to use accents above letters. I did a bit of thinking and wanted something to do with my love for nerdy internet memes. "do a barrel roll" has always been a joke I enjoyed, I'm a big fan of Lylat Wars for the n64. After staring at this nameless troll for a while it suddenly clicked and Barreltroll was born.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 07:53:25 am »
Charon. It's my current callsign.

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 71
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 08:08:59 am »
So uhh. Originating my name it originally came from my Hunter in World of Warcraft called Retharon, Reth was taken from the kalimag word for "Burn", and I kinda liked the idea that a name had some concept being build on. When I finally moved to Guns Of Icarus Online, I figured Retharon would sound weird and out of place, so I modified to to be RethBurn. It was simple, then I slammed a Cappin' on it.

..Then I realised 80% of the community is called Captain, so I threw that out again.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 12:19:23 pm »
I've used the 'Zenark' name for years on possibly hundreds of games.

Years and years ago, the name could be broken into Zen-Ark, two names in one. Zen equals honor, pride, mercy and joy... While Ark repents rage, power, vengeance and death.

You'll find both on the battlefields when I'm there.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 03:06:21 pm »
Had the feeling of lazy when I created my name. Just chopped the last bit off and stuck "Captain" in front of it since I was going to do more piloting.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »
My wife works in a pet store and told me that hamsters are the meanest and most violent creatures she has to deal with. Since "Hamster" is usually taken I appended "mk 4" to my user names after the Supermarine Spitfire Mark 4. When I signed up there was some bug that prevented me from putting numbers, spaces, or underscores in the name so I went with HamsterIV instead. Also having a four at the end of my name allows me to make up extravagant lies about what happened to the three Hamsters which came before me.

HamsterI died choking a boa constrictor to death, from the inside.
HamsterII was participating in a goldfish burial at sea when he fell into the vortex and was sucked to his doom.
HamsterIII was carried off by an owl, his remnants were found next to the dead bodies of three owl chicks.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:40 pm »
Also having a four at the end of my name allows me to make up extravagant lies about what happened to the three Hamsters which came before me.

That sir is awesome!

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:13 pm »
I started playing with RL friends, so I wanted something that was similar enough to my real name that it wouldn't be too odd. My HS nickname was DMac (an amalgamation of my first initial and last name) so I went with DMaximus, because it could be abbreviated to DMax, which is similar enough to be familiar.