Author Topic: What did you name YOURSELF and why?  (Read 45852 times)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
What did you name YOURSELF and why?
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:16:15 pm »
There are some pretty interesting names out there, and I'm curious as to where the came from.

If it's the same name you use for all your online stuff, don't just say that. Say why.

If it's a name from something, say where and why you picked it.

I'll start:

James T. Kirk. Like from Star Trek. Into Darkness reminded me of how much I loved the original series, and I happened to see the movie right before I bought the game, so Kirk seemed like the best option.

I wish I could say something about how I (personally) identify with Kirk, how I'm some unorthodox problem solver and great leader, but it all started as a joke.

I got three of my friends to join in, and James T. Kirk, M. Scotty, Mr. Spock, and checkov ran around the Enterprise for a few weeks.

Like the story always seems to go, they've all faded away, but for whatever reason, I've stayed.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: What did you name YOURSELF and why?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »
My name's Nick Sunderland. I'm terrible with usernames. Really terrible.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »
A few years ago, playing World of Warcraft, I played a gnome Death Knight named "Europa." I've always loved two things- Japanese and good naming conventions for alts. I wanted to name a new character Yukari, but it was already taken. I hit upon the idea of combining the two names, so people would know it was me- Eukari was born.

Much later, I dug up the name for a new character on a new server, and loved it because it set up so many names for alts- Eukiko, Eukasa, Eukimi, etc. When I decided to come back to GoIO, it was a natural fit.

I like it because it's pretty unique, sounds pretty and people don't seem to have too much trouble remembering it. Plus, it's an actual name, and not like xXxSkullK1ll3r666xXx or something equally repulsive.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »
My first impressions of GOI, from watching gameplay videos prior to purchasing the game, reminded me heavily of 18th century nautical combat, so I thought a nautical themed name would be best.

Since I had just recently read Treasure Island, and fancied I'd like to eventually pilot a glorious airship, I thought I'd name myself after the Pilot of the mighty Hispaniola, Captain Smollett.

This may or may not have also been heavily influenced by the greatest movie ever made which I'm far to old to have ever enjoyed when it was released; Muppets Treasure Island. 

I was soon after joined by my still serving first mate, Mr. Arrow Cptl Fello who may or may not have been influenced from similar sources.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:55:10 am »
Ahaha...haha...ha
this name goes back 14 years almost.......the backstory would be too immense for here...

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 01:56:21 am »
Ahaha...haha...ha
this name goes back 14 years almost.......the backstory would be too immense for here...

Doesn't matter, STORY TIME!!!

Mine kind of came from my love of pies I guess.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 01:58:21 am »
Ahaha...haha...ha

Doesn't matter, STORY TIME!!!

Mine kind of came from my love of pies I guess.

Hell nah.

It's mostly angst / emo teenager stuff that started around the 7th grade.  It really isn't a good read.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 02:42:20 am »
I like griffins. Alternate spelling of griffin is gryphon. Gryphon turned into Gryphos. The second part was going to be 'fellwinter', but that's a bit too cliche, so I turned it on its head and went with 'fellsummer'.

Offline Zander Broda

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 03:46:05 am »
my real name is Alex Bradtke

Zander came from something my older sister has told me all my life "you really missed out on the good half of that name".

and Broda comes from my family's original name, from wayyyyy back in poland, before it was changed several times to what it is now.

when i got this game, me and the people that bought this game with me wanted to do a bit of role playing, and i decided i wanted my character to basically be a steampunk version of myself, and i came up with this, i still like the way it feels when you say it out loud.

as for my Steam name (chainer1216) Chainer, Dementia Master was the first legendary MtG card i ever got, and my gaming buddies had a proboards set up all about MtG where everyone was named after a legend from the game, so i named myself after him on there and the name kinda stuck. and December 16th is mah birthday.

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 04:08:18 am »
I named myself Andika because my name is Andika. :) Alternatively, you may also call me Andika.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 05:14:35 am »
Rainer Zu Fall - Rainer is a common german prename, Zu (like the "Von" in "Von Hindenburg") is part of a name and Fall is the name. In germany, reiner Zufall (written a bit different as you can see) means "pure randomness" although pronounced exactly the same.

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 05:47:39 am »
Mepic Von Shreck:

Mepic = Mega-epic, following the word being used on a jazz tour I was on a year or so ago.

Von Shreck = Well, I love Shrek. And Schreck in German = Fright. But to make it less 'fright' and more Shrek, I settled on Shreck.

I hope that deep and meaningful explanation enlightened you all :P.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 10:05:18 am »
Echo was taken. Echoes was taken, so I switched the 's' with a 'z', boom, my nickname was the result.

I usually just go as Echo whenever I can, it's been something that I used almost all thetime before as well, it's easy and short to pronounce and everyone I know on the internet pretty much knows me as 'Echo' already, so I just go with it.

It's also a very generic nickname, but since I'm realy bad, I still use it :P

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
Growing up on consoles i never needed a name to play games. Soon though i had my first pc with my first online game cs1.6. I called myself some random names till i settled with schwizerkäs. From there on it went swizzchees-swisschees- and finnaly i had my short name swizy because everybody had problem with such a long name. Got that name since around 5 years now. I figure you see why all the cheese and swiss.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 12:44:32 pm »
My first username was on that neopets thing and it was something like supermaonkeyman. Because I couldn't spell monkey.

Next came ducky21, on a physics simulation game called algodoo. When I bought minecraft, I used ducky215 because, well, 21 was taken. Then I got steam, and used ducky2185, because, well, ducky215 was taken.

Then I got Terraria. I named my character Kieon because it was sort of close to my real name but still felt fantasy-esque. Over time it morphed into Keon, which we know today. If I can't get Keon I use KeonSkyfire because it sounds kinda cool, I guess.