Author Topic: rebuild status in the hud?  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
rebuild status in the hud?
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:02 pm »
proposal, wouldn't it be nice to see the rebuild status of the different components around your ship, as in, when something is destroyed, have the red bar fill up with yellow to illustrate the rebuild.  This would allow captains to better assess their ship's integrity as well as monitoring the status of the engineers.
Thoughts?
comments?

Offline Niels Juel

• Salutes: 5
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: rebuild status in the hud?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:34:47 pm »
That actually sounds good, as it will help you (as a captain) to direct your engies to the parts that you need rapaired fastest

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:22:42 am »
I'd like to see this.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:33:02 am »
Something no one I know of has thought of before, nice idea Locutus.

Offline Kitty.Hawk

• Salutes: 9
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:15:48 am »
I was thinking something similar a few days ago, wanting to know which engine my engie was working on without asking him directly.

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:26 am »
I think this should be definitely implemented in spectator mode, along with buffing status. As for players, I don't know, maybe captains only?

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:17 am »
That's actually a really nice idea I haven't heard before yet.
I think it would be quite nice to have something like that, but otherwise your engines are just able to say "I'm on the hull" usually (something different if they write though, I agree to that).
I can see it as a bit too much though, if there are many components damaged, some down, you see the compass above and the tools in the bottom and inbetween some yellow lines too. Depends on how it would be presented I guess.
But I'm all "yes!" for this so far.

Offline dasfoxx

• Salutes: 1
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:47:11 am »
I like this idea~

Offline Cheeseycom

• Salutes: 3
    • [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:13 am »
I like this idea!
I'm usually an Engineer, so an indicator like this is less of a must for me than it would be for the Captain.. but then again, I tend to fly on Mobulas, and it'd be nice to know if the other Engineer is doing his job properly! =)

I can see it as a bit too much though, if there are many components damaged, some down, you see the compass above and the tools in the bottom and inbetween some yellow lines too. Depends on how it would be presented I guess.

I don't think it would add much in the way of clutter to the HUD.. but it could be made a bit more subtle - for example, rather than being a yellow progress bar, the red 'broken' icon could fade back to its normal colour as the repair progresses. The only downside to this that I can see is that if an Engineer is interrupted one click away from a full repair and forgets to go back, it might be hard to tell apart a fixed component from a nearly-fixed one.
So maybe it would make sense to add a distinctive colour to repairs in progress..

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 08:32:56 pm »
wow a post on the forum that is met with general consensus, what has the world come too?

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:51 pm »
Welcome to the community :P

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:40 am »
I actually like that idea. And why make it so complex Rainer. Just fill the Red signs in ur Hud step by step when rebuilding something so u see the engineers rebuild that part.
Would also love that as engi to see if my second engi is repairing a certain part to priotize different.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:48 am »
I actually like that idea. And why make it so complex Rainer. Just fill the Red signs in ur Hud step by step when rebuilding something so u see the engineers rebuild that part.
Would also love that as engi to see if my second engi is repairing a certain part to priotize different.

I can see some problems for colorblind people as well as keeping 2 spanner hits apart on a Galleon's hull instead of a Squid's one. Since this wouldn't be any help at all then by only minimal changes to the brightness of the red, I suggest using a different bar. This would add more to the HUD, if for example 2 engineers and 1 gun had to rebuild stuff because of 2 Manticore Hwachas attacking you -> 3 more bars added to the HUD.

Offline Cheeseycom

• Salutes: 3
    • [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:37:20 am »
I can see some problems for colorblind people as well as keeping 2 spanner hits apart on a Galleon's hull instead of a Squid's one. Since this wouldn't be any help at all then by only minimal changes to the brightness of the red, I suggest using a different bar. This would add more to the HUD, if for example 2 engineers and 1 gun had to rebuild stuff because of 2 Manticore Hwachas attacking you -> 3 more bars added to the HUD.

There are already bars on the HUD as the HP of each item is reduced - why not simply re-use that same bar in a different colour?
I know you mentioned there may be issues for colour blind people, but if the repair progress bar colour was substantially different from the usual health bar, they should hopefully still be able to tell the difference? Admittedly there are many different types of colour blindness so I know accounting for all of them is difficult to do.. but this seems like the simplest way to add this feature without adding additional elements to the UI.

Perhaps if the repair progress bar were also to flash on and off to differentiate it from the health bar.. or a tiny spanner could be placed next to the bar to indicate it is for repairs.