Author Topic: FAQ aboard a Ship  (Read 14566 times)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
FAQ aboard a Ship
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:40:50 am »
Greetings!

I often find myself with a not so experienced crew, and there's a pattern to their question, if they care to ask and be helped. Supposedly most of you get the same feeling, and I'd like to collect those questions and the answers to them in a guide here. I'll fill in what I remember just now, and add to the list whenever I stumble upon something new, or another player suggests a addition (that's you! Yes, you!). Feel free to correct and comment my work, I hope we'll be able to gather many more questions and answers!

What is more important to repair? Balloon or hull?
Basically the hull is the most important component - if it's destroyed, your ship's gone as well, and the enemy scores one point. Just after it comes the balloon, because once the balloon is down your ship will start sinking until it crashes into the ground - which in turn damages the hull until the balloon is repaired again. If your captain doesn't tell you otherwise, you can usually try to keep those two up and then tend to engines and guns. However, your captain might want to keep the balloon destroyed for sinking faster for a moment, but in that event he'll tell you anyways. Also, if you're running away from a enemy ship it might be more important to repair the engines than the guns. Use your best judgement if your captain doesn't give you instructions on what to repair first, but always keep an eye on hull and balloon.

What's the best gun?
A heavy flak is less effective in close quarters and a gatling won't do much if you aim for the enemies balloon with it. There is no best gun, there are just situations where one kind of gun is more effective than another. In short, you can distinguish them by the component they are most effective against:

Good against balloons(Flechette Damage)
Hellhound Heavy Twin Carronade
Barking Dog Light Carronade
Lumberjack Heavy Mortar

Good against the hull's armor(Piercing damage, against the part of the hull that can be repaired)
Whirlwind Light Gatling Gun
Mercury Field Gun - Can also be used to take out certain components effectively.

Good against the hull's health (explosive damage, against the part of the hull that can't be repaired)
Typhoon Heavy Flak
Echidna Light Flak
Scylla Double Barrel Mortar

Good against components(Shatter damage, components are guns and engines)
Manticore Heavy Hwacha
Banshee Light Rocket Carousel
Artemis Light Rocket Launcher

Special cases
Dragon Tongue Light Flamethrower - Fire deals more damage against the balloon, but more importantly, it makes all the components on the other ship less effective and can even destroy them or render them unusable.

Beacon Light Flare Gun - Shoots a green flare that lights up the area where it goes down. Excellent for seeing enemy ships in a cloud.

Javelin Harpoon Gun - Pulls you and the enemy ship together if it hits, good for ramming and probably confusing the enemy captain.

What happens when I fall off the Ship?
Nothing, really. You just get teleported back to the middle of the ship, but lose valuable time in the process.

Are there any benefits from leveling up or getting achievements?
You just get some cosmetical stuff with every couple of ranks. You don't unlock any other ships, guns or tools.

(Modified the light mortar location. Is it terrible for balloons, lol. Zill)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:54:58 am by RearAdmiralZill »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: FAQ aboard a Ship
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:57:37 am »
What is more important to repair? Balloon or hull?
Basically the hull is the most important component - if it's destroyed, your ship's gone as well, and the enemy scores one point. Just after it comes the balloon, because once the balloon is down your ship will start sinking until it crashes into the ground - which in turn damages the hull until the balloon is repaired again. If your captain doesn't tell you otherwise, you can usually try to keep those two up and then tend to engines and guns. However, your captain might want to keep the balloon destroyed for sinking faster for a moment, but in that event he'll tell you anyways. Also, if you're running away from a enemy ship it might be more important to repair the engines than the guns. Use your best judgement if your captain doesn't give you instructions on what to repair first, but always keep an eye on hull and balloon.

It's also good to note that if you have a good gunner, he will repair his own gun, so that the engie can worry about more important things

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
Good guide, the part about gun types will be very helpful.

As you said the repair priority should go Hull > balloon > components in most situations. However there are certain situations where this order should be ignored.

Very low to the ground/ crashing: Balloon takes top priority.
Under constant fire no guns active: Disabling gun takes priority.
Trying to escape a 2v1 situation: Engines have equal priority to hull.

A good captain will shout out what they are trying to do and what repair takes priority.

Offline TheMick

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »
what's your favorite counter to dedicated rammers? in other words, what do you recommend newbie crews do to survive? Go all defensive to escape and get situated? perhaps go offensive to try and turn them back? perhaps some good maneuvers for a noob captain to evade rammers?

edit to be thread specific
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:22:18 pm by TheMick »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »
what's your favorite counter to dedicated rammers? in other words, what do you recommend newbie crews do to survive? Go all defensive to escape and get situated? perhaps go offensive to try and turn them back? perhaps some good maneuvers for a noob captain to evade rammers?

I will prefix this with I'm not a pilot, but my favorite tactic that I see on the ships that I fly on is to hydrogen above the would be ram, and swoopin behind to disable engines and kill the enemy... This may require some practice in the sandbox though

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:41:47 pm »

I will prefix this with I'm not a pilot, but my favorite tactic that I see on the ships that I fly on is to hydrogen above the would be ram, and swoopin behind to disable engines and kill the enemy... This may require some practice in the sandbox though

Being a captain that usually carries Hydrogen and Chute Vent for just that, I can confirm it works wonders! And it works really fast, you're usually able to dive down or up just in front of that annoying Pyramidion that wants to ram you!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

One counter that I like is to fly a Pyramidion with two front gatlings. The other ships won't ram you if their hull is down (and if they do, they're suicidal). It's also good if you want to do some ramming yourself.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:06:26 pm »

As stated, a well timed Hydrogen or Chute Vent will work wonders. Be quick to turn your guns on them though or they will just come back in.

Another trick is to face them head on, and only reverse enough so that the force of the ram itself is significantly reduced. Occasionally they get pushed back, and even toward one side, giving you an advantage.

And always protect your balloon and hull during a ram. They are the first things to go 95% of the time.

Offline TheMick

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:23:24 pm »
Thanks to all I'll put that to use post haste.. though I'll be sad to ditch my tar barrels lol