Author Topic: Fire Damage  (Read 7770 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Fire Damage
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:12:53 am »
This is a request for fire damage to transfer to the hull once the armor is down.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Damage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:18:29 am »
Agreed. At which point the entire ship should actually look like it's on fire, maybe depending on the amount of stacks. But i would really like to see the enemy ship engulfed in flames as a result of burning them down, and i'm sure you cake folks would too.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:34:52 am »
this is a request that if this is implemented, fire damage be toned down alot because sweet jesus the stacks are so easy to put on and plus suddenly having flare guns being the new awesome kill weps would just be dumb as hell :P

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 01:44:26 am »
You're just afraid Cake is going to be overpowered :P

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:51:15 am »
this is a request that if this is implemented, fire damage be toned down alot because sweet jesus the stacks are so easy to put on and plus suddenly having flare guns being the new awesome kill weps would just be dumb as hell :P

Get rid of flare guns entirely. Problem solved!

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:26 am »

They will just have to keep the hull chem sprayed.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:28:35 pm »
In terms of realism I agree with the post but as an engineer I think fire is at a really good strength right now as it is.

If I bring extinguisher I can handle fire pretty well but waste time in repairing the hull armor.

If I have Chem Spray I can spray the hull before a fight and try to save the armor but if it goes out and the hull catches fire I'm essentially forced to let it go into the red, which is high enough risk as it is in my opinion. I find risking the hull armor for the reward of it not catching fire in the first place to be a good balance. If it was risking the entire ship I would probably never bring chem spray ever again. Can't afford a level 4+ fire to take down the ship.

Offline Captain Magellan

• Salutes: 13
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
Fire is actually the most damaging to the hull I believe (either that or slightly beneath explosive) it does not stack but the flamer does do fire DAMAGE. I've seen a lot of flamer kills. They are pretty deadly. Flamer/mortar, not fun.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:56:04 pm »
I dont think the damage needs a buff of any kind but I would like to see fire make a comeback as a disabler. Not like the old day when you were booted by a single stack, but maybe somewhere in the middle

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:40:44 pm »
Anecdotal evidence is the least reliable, but personally I haven't found fire to be all that useful. It's never more than an annoyance (to me) when used on my ship, unless there's a lot ... and then, it's like "why didn't they just shoot me?"

As for when I'm using the fire ... I've never really had much results with that. Emptying whole clips from the flamer seems to distract the enemy for a few moments, maybe, but again- why distract when I could just roll a Gatling and strip their armor, or use a Banshee and do fire damage plus destroy components?

I'm not necessarily saying I want to see fire buffed — far from it — but I also feel like it's sort of a sideshow right now. Of course, that has more to do with the current ascendancy of direct damage over disable builds.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 12:29:27 am »
The nice thing about fires is the panic effect; it often pulls gungineers off their guns to help damage control, which is pretty useful.

Fire damage is also pretty good against all parts of a ship, and is the only damage type to be more than 1x effective against more than one ship part.

It also weakens components like engines and guns by them simply being on fire, which is good, because components like are the only thing fire does less than .8 damage to.

On paper, fire seems OP, but in practice, a well-coordinated crew along with a good alpha strike give us Cak-- uhh.. "fire users" a hard time.

You end up completely killing the flame-toters before they can even light a 10 stack.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 05:23:15 pm »
This is a request for fire damage to transfer to the hull once the armor is down.
Firedamage already transfers to the hull once armor is down. What you don't get is firestacks on the hull, which wouldn't be fair either.

EDIT: Just tested in training mode to verify and yes, I can destroy the dummy using heavy clip; targetting only the hull with a flamethrower.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:38:09 pm by QKO »