Author Topic: Colour blindness setting  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Sjatre

• Salutes: 0
    • [HVN]
    • View Profile
Colour blindness setting
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:11 am »
Hi,
I have real problems destinguishing the two teams in matches. This is particularly a problem in CPs as the two colours are so close together and small. I cannot tell who has the points and have to get a team mate to tell me. Speaking to Gilder, I know that I am not the first one to suffer this problem, and a TF2 style colour blindness setting would resolve the issue. Even a LoL style colour blindness setting where they just change the colour of the teams would work. Red and blue are too close together on the spectrum, and although it is easy to distinguish them in the lobby, it becomes harder the smaller and closer together thy get.
I know a lot of people would really appreciate this change.
Thank you
Sjatre

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Colour blindness setting
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:32:35 am »
That's what spotting is for. It's supposed to be hard to see for everyone.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:51 am »
No, you're supposed to be able to tell apart friend and foe even if the enemies aren't spotted. Not being able to do so is a clear disadvantage for colorblind people.
Also the problem is most likely not limited to identifying the alliance of ships. Not being able to see which sides captures a balloon below the compass is a significant disadvantage as well.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:58 am »
Dutch, that makes no sense. Make it fair to colorblind people. What colors would work for you guys?

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:50:39 am »
I had talked to Keyvias about this earlier, as I happen to know a lot of color blind players.

Having an option to toggle the colors of the actual in-game models is an excellent idea, but the game wasn't built with that in mind, so it would be quite a beast for the art/programming team to go back and retroactively implement. Also, the general (mostly unofficial) consensus was that the in-game ship colors would likely not be changed, as they are supposed to be somewhat ambiguous, especially at longer ranges, and spotting helps to counter this.

However the HUD and map colors could/should have a color-blind mode. The HUD and map should be clear and readable to all players. The map arrows, and CP indicators are intended to be immediately distinguishable, and that is not always the case. Additionally, the people I play with have trouble on maps with a green background (Paritian/Labyrinth), as the red/blue map arrows and HUD elements blend in far too easily. This would also likely be much easier to code into the game. Furthermore, if there was an incident where the game models were hard to distinguish and spotting was not possible, simply pulling up the map and noting if it's a friendly ship should help with any confusion.

There was a question that was raised, without an obvious answer. What colors would be good for the HUD/map? Making the red more 'orangey' was the best suggestion we could come up with, as was making your teams HUD/map elements slightly "pulsate" (like your own arrow does on the map).

So lets get some discussion going here. Does this issue affect you? Do you have any color combination suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:54:11 am by dragonmere »

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:15:25 am »
In the distant future when adventure mode is being flushed out, each faction should have it's own unique looking ship (as far as I know.) So at some point you can tell not by the colors of the ship, but by the fact that your team has no Chaladon airships. Still do not know what the devs have planned in the future, but this would be one way to help colorblind people.

Offline Sjatre

• Salutes: 0
    • [HVN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:31:49 am »
Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't really talking about the ship colours (even though it is I possible to see them), I was more talking about HUD, map, and the circles and flags at the top of the screen, as many of you have mentioned. Anyway I think this is a big problem, but if it is a big issue to resolve then I can understand that. It should be somewhat of a high priority! After Adventure mode is a long time to wait

In terms of colour combinations, that would be tricky because most people like myself are red-green colourblind, but there are a number of different types. The League of Legends colourblind mode worked okay for me, but for others it worked amazingly well. I would really like to hear the suggestions from other colourblind people.
Thank again.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:39 am »
On the subject of the HUD, I do know that Muse is working on improving it e.g. Making crosshairs more visible in cloud cover, so maybe that'll help.

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:47 pm »
On the subject of the HUD, I do know that Muse is working on improving it e.g. Making crosshairs more visible in cloud cover, so maybe that'll help.

I think the messages in the top and bottom left corner also needs some improvement for visibility. I'm not even color blind but often have problems reading those. Maybe an outline for the font would help.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:16:37 pm »
In terms of colour combinations, that would be tricky because most people like myself are red-green colourblind, but there are a number of different types. The League of Legends colourblind mode worked okay for me, but for others it worked amazingly well. I would really like to hear the suggestions from other colourblind people.
Thank again.

How did the LoL one work? I don't know if it's possible, but could the arrows and things be altered to be like...one's striped and one's checkered? Or something? Basically, where they have different patterns that don't require color to tell apart.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:40:02 pm »
I believe they just changed the color of things.