Author Topic: Will Firing When Turning Ever be "Fixed"?  (Read 30394 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Will Firing When Turning Ever be "Fixed"?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:32 pm »
Meh, I find the light flak easy to aim regardless of turning. The gat, on the other hand, is a bit harder to judge. The shots will often end up going where you don't expect them too (hence the point of this thread).

Offline Meriwether

• Salutes: 8
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 09:00:30 pm »
Meh, I find the light flak easy to aim regardless of turning. The gat, on the other hand, is a bit harder to judge. The shots will often end up going where you don't expect them too (hence the point of this thread).

I find the gat easier - I can adjust the stream very quickly and keep the enemy in the sweet spot, I struggle more with the Flak.  Different strokes for different folks..

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:41 am »
For the record: I found the problem, this will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:59:13 am »
For the record: I found the problem, this will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

That is very exciting news Watchmaker... Thanks!

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 02:14:31 am »
I was wondering why the gatling tracers didn't display properly to the gunner but do display properly to the captain. I don't know if I'm the only person that has noticed this or not it seems like the case to me.
As the captain on a squid that's making hard turns I can tell my gunner to bring the fire left or right a little and once he finds the spot hes good. But from experience I know the gunner isn't seeing the same tracer stream that I am seeing.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 05:55:32 am »
I was just assuming my gunners where cross eyed to be honest.  I couldn't really compare a gunner and myself on two monitors side by side to be sure.  Might be a syncing issue?

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 03:15:55 am »
It's definitely still treating the raycast bullet stream weirdly with the angular momentum/velocity.

Offline Ofiach

• [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:13:59 am »
The gat is still firing differently for the gunner and for anyone else watching. I can see him shooting way right or left but to him it's right on target.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »
I get this too, in spite of Watchmaker's assertion he fixed it. I can only assume the bullets are being rendered on the player's computer  base of the player's local state and on everyone else's computer based on the server's state. It is kind of a bummer since the hits are being calculated in the server's state and the one person who needs an accurate idea of where the bullets are in the server is the gunner who is shooting them.

I remember the original GOI multi player. My friend would be shooting off center of an airplane, then the airplane would explode as if his local machine detected the collisions and updated the server on the event of airplane death.

Offline lyravega

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:43 pm »
I checked the patch notes, and it states this:

"- Fixed a bug with the way ship angular velocity was inherited by projectiles"

However, I really don't think so.

Offline Kadreal

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 02:51:21 am »
Yeah, I don't think this is fixed.

Did a few games with a minigun on a turning ship and I clearly had to counter lead my own ship's turning.
It's very easy to see on the minigun because it is hit scan, and the bullets that draw go no where near where the hit indicators are popping up.

My best guess is that this is because firing packets are set with vectors that are relative to your ship. Since your ship is turning, it will be further along in that turn by the time your packet to fire is received, thus your bullets appear to be hitting further into your turn then you are aiming.

This is not angular velocity inheritance. For a few reasons:
1. The minigun projectile is hit scan, and thus there is no velocity to inherit since it already hits instantly.
2. Even if they just added an angular offset to 'simulate' angular inheritance, the values would be all wrong. - Math time go!

I was on a Goldfish with a side mounted minigun. It was making a turn of about 20 degrees per second but I had to counter lead my target by about 5 degrees to land hits where I wanted. This would suggest that angular inheritance was causing an offset of 5 degrees. For this to occur, it would require an angular velocity to muzzle velocity ratio of .087(Tangent of 5 degrees), or an angular velocity of about 9% of the muzzle velocity. Since most bullet projectiles travel about 1000m/s or so, This would mean we'd have to have an angular velocity of about 90m/s at the gun mount. For the goldfish that has its side gun about 10 meters from its center of turning, we'd have to be spinning at over 500 degrees per second and all the crew would go flying off the ship!

I'm not that experienced with network programming, but my best guess as for a solution is to giving fire details with absolute vectors so they wouldn't inherit the lag of the ship turning.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 03:08:14 am »
Has anyone checked the rotation issue with the other raycast gun type (carronade) to see if the issue can be further isolated?

Also, if the issue was packet/latency related, wouldn't it also occur when a stationary ship was firing at a moving target?

Offline Ofiach

• [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:21 am »
The carronade doesn't have tracers for me to watch... so I can't give input on that but it also inherits the turning from the ship.

Also you can say the math is wrong and all that and I wont argue but shooting a 50 cal from a fast moving boat while its turning does some seriously funky shit with the bullets. It "feels" right to me, but the tracers need to render properly for the gunner. Seriously this is the only issue worth fixing IMO.

JUST FIX THE TRACERS for the gunner, I do not understand why everyone else on the ship can see where the gunner is missing and help him walk his fire but the gunner will miss 9/10 shots if he is following the tracers.

When I'm flying the Pyri I spend more time saying gat too left/low/high/right than anything else, it might be because i fly like a drunk but you know. :P

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:39 am »
The carronade doesn't have tracers for me to watch... so I can't give input on that but it also inherits the turning from the ship.
When I'm flying the Pyri I spend more time saying gat too left/low/high/right than anything else, it might be because i fly like a drunk but you know. :P
No tracers, but the aim versus impact is important in terms of debugging, I'd say.  So now we know it's not just gat, but the entire concept behind that type of weapon that's involved.  I yell a lot to.  I actually yell less when I'm drunk.  Actually that's not true at all.

Offline Ofiach

• [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:11 am »
Yes it does shift depending on the turn of the ship.... but why is that a problem? I'm not understanding why the angular velocity or whatever being put on the bullet is bad?

You're turning at 20degrees a second so the shot lands 20 degrees to that direction. Your descending at 5 feet a second so now the shot will hit 5 feet lower..... or am I being completely dense?