Author Topic: Titles, who has them, and what they do.  (Read 105214 times)

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Titles, who has them, and what they do.
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2014, 04:19:44 am »
Unfortunately the thread got de-railed a bit. However it looks like the last title to officially change hands (as someone put in a claim for it here in the thread) was on the 24-25th of April by Brick Hardcastle representing BFS. So not actually that long ago - it's on the previous page.

From looking at the thread, the titles do seem to be pretty active. Here's a quote from Brick regarding the title they picked up that day:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/487822565138953287/A8A6439BB2956202513B787B81F6A3BE948075DF/1024x819.resizedimage

Yeah, I was kinda under the impression that titles could change hands in scrims as Ducks and OVW seem to swap them about during their weekly scrims. I hope I haven't been too presumptuous. Hatters and Gents could very well win it back off us next week anyway.

I take this to suggest that people who currently hold titles do expect to have to defend them in the future.
I hope I didn't take you out of context here Brick and that you don't mind that I use you as an example, you basically sum up what I'm trying to say here. Let me know.

I also know that the Ducks and Overwatch have a weekly scrim and titles are often involved. I think a match involving a title may have actually happened as recently as today. Can someone from Ducks or Overwatch let us know if a title was involved, taken, or defended?

We do however have an issue as to what constitutes a match where titles can be challenged for, such as practice scrims vs official competitive scrims. This is something we are attempting to define, but so far, titles have been involved in both. I think someone (Redria?) did call for a new (and stickied) thread.

Also, Keyvias, there are difficulties in answering your question because there are some events that do not acknowledge the title system, so titles cannot be fought for during those events. What that means is that the players have to organise the competition for titles themselves without a competitive structure. Which I think people (big thanks to Shink here) have been doing successfully, if a little wonkily (which is understandable). Also, I think players get pretty fatigued while events are happening, so if titles aren't able to be in play between event-matches, they might not be in play during the week because people may be taking a bit of a break.

I speak for myself here, but personally I love watching the titles change hands. I don't play a lot now because of grad school so it's a cool way to see what clans are been upto and what kind of successes they've had.

It just seems like a fun and rewarding way for clans to fight each other. And it's an officially sanctioned system.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:26:51 am by Morblitz »

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2014, 04:39:40 am »
thanks Keyvias. I think it's a good habit not to make decisions based on the input of individual members, whatever their role within the community or competitive scene.

To answer your questions:
How often do title fights currently happen?
afaik Ducks and OvW fight for titles every week, from this point forward the Mad Hatters will most probably agree to fight for titles in our weekly scrim with BFS, too.
When was the last time someone challenged for one?
April 24, 2014, I think, although the Ducks and OvW may have fought over titles in their scrims since.
When was the last time one of them changed hands?
April 24, 2014, Mad Hatters lost Duel at Dawn to BFS. Note that the last couple of weeks have been quiet as the Sky League just ended; for various reasons Mad Hatters were unable to scrim BFS again this week or we'd have tried reclaiming the title. Nevertheless it is true that this system has been forgotten a little by a lot of clans. Having a little chat with tournament organisers to get them behind the "ambush" system for tournament maps would be helpful in ensuring a few more title fights. More importantly, we need a properly maintained, official record of title owners - it's hard to have a title fight when you don't know who owns which title.
As a clan do you want to take part in something like this?
Yes, it's a nice idea that's been entertaining in its current form and has got a lot of potential to develop further in the future. My hope is that at Muse you'll eventually implement a system for "clan trophies" to be displayed on a clan's ingame page and these titles would be one of them. Hopefully this would be paired with in-game automated scrim functionality too, which is as I can see it the only way that the official scrim points system could really get off the ground.

For the time being, I'd appreciate some clarity in the rules as to whether titles can be won in any match between 2 clans or whether there needs to be an explicit challenge first. That lack of clarity was a slight cause of contention previously. I'd be happy with either option, as long as there is a set in stone rule so I can be sure whether or not any scrim I go into could involve a title exchange.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:58:37 am by Velvet »

Offline Allien'

• Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2014, 09:21:28 am »
Sooo... The list of the title holders is not updated I see.

I do have a idea for this. I would be nice to have the titles incorporated to the game, I believe, now that we have the clans as well.
This is just an idea.
-Have the current holders visible;
-allow clans to challenge holders;
-if they agree on it, give the power of swapping the title to the leaders .
-Title could count for the clan's leader board or rank?

Don't know, may require more though than this  ::)

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile

Offline Allien'

• Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
Nah, apparently the older of duel is BFS. That's one that i know, but more need to change I think, I didn't bother look at the other pages :P

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2014, 10:19:16 am »
Shink was taking care of it. He's been online as recently as yesterday it looks like, but hasn't updated since Sky League started. I just made the document, so I have editing powers even if I haven't done any editing myself.

So several things here.
  • Although I could take over as updater, I don't really want the responsibility, especially with the Hephaestus Challenge kicking off here shortly. If someone wants to get in and help Shink keep it updated I'd be happy to give them permissions
  • The list is currently not up to date. I would lke to get it updated before the next event (which, as it happens, is tomorrow)
  • I would like to get Muse to look at Allien''s idea. There are other plans in place for the leaderboard, but I could envision a separate leaderboard showing the titles and the current holders. Then give officers of a clan permission to issue and accept a challenge in a lobby for the title to automatically transfer to the winner of a match.

1 is to keep the titles up-to-date. Possibly a new thread for it too.
2 is just an fyi.
3 is a way we could make it visible in-game, which would be pretty cool. With clans being recognized in-game now, I feel like it could be made to automatically transfer and update in-game if certain pre-reqs are met in a lobby.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2014, 10:31:24 am »
Dunno what happens with them but if needed i can keep things up to date for now ...
If shink and you (redria) miss time. Dont mind updating it if thats whats wanted for now ;)

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2014, 10:40:55 am »
in-game titles would be awesome.

btw the Hatters beat BFS on Duel yesterday to retake that title for the Gents (having agreed that our scrims count for titles), but I forgot to take a screenshot.

Offline Brick Hardcastle

• Salutes: 12
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2014, 08:18:13 am »
in-game titles would be awesome.

btw the Hatters beat BFS on Duel yesterday to retake that title for the Gents (having agreed that our scrims count for titles), but I forgot to take a screenshot.

I can confirm this is true. However, BFS won it back the following week and we currently hold the Duel at Dawn title.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/486699836913361558/9619FE27E931BEC202E766FD2F33E60C3E7668C8/

I think my game was being a bit screwy and I didn't get the score screen, but you can see the Hatter team giving the ggs.

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2014, 10:14:11 am »
we're getting into a good habit of swapping. ^^

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2014, 10:34:54 am »
I really need to update the google doc T.T .....

*Edit* Should be up to date now... Bringers of Dawn is apparently the most sought out title :))
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:07:54 am by Shinkurex »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49:47 am »
reset titles and have another event?

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2014, 12:54:08 pm »

Someone claimed titles are useless and unreasonable. Let me check my screenshots to recall who was that....

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2014, 01:23:52 pm »

Someone claimed titles are useless and unreasonable. Let me check my screenshots to recall who was that....

there is no need to be sarcastic. the titles are useless because we dont need to fight over a title to get a scrimmage. they are unreasonable because they changed the then event rules by allowing teams to dodge certain maps

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:28 am »
I really like this idea, maybe sort titles out as seasons? fight for them over a set period of time, owners of the them when they reset get a permanent in game badge!