Author Topic: Sky Nets  (Read 8844 times)

Offline Cheeseycom

• Salutes: 3
    • [FVS]
    • View Profile
Sky Nets
« on: September 10, 2013, 05:35:26 am »
I was thinking something along the lines of a mine launcher, but instead it would fire a large wire net with small balloons tied to the top corners and weights at the bottom.. basically creating a wall that if crashed into would substantially slow a ship for a number of seconds (or perhaps temporarily bringing them to a complete halt by breaking all of the engines).

Like the mine launcher I reckon it would have to be limited in the number that it could be deployed any one time.. perhaps 3 nets at most.
Once a net hit an enemy and was removed from the deployed count, there would be a fairly lengthy cooldown time to prevent people spamming it and locking their enemy in place (it would probably have to be slightly longer than the minimum time required to repair 3 engines).

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Nets
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:56 pm »
I'm not sure if a net "trap" would work all that well. Even on very tight maps, like Labyrinth or Canyon Ambush, there's still quite a big of room to fly around in.

I do think a net gun work be interesting- like, if you hit the engines it slows the other ship down for a time?

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:22:59 pm »
I'm not sure if a net "trap" would work all that well. Even on very tight maps, like Labyrinth or Canyon Ambush, there's still quite a big of room to fly around in.

It's true there's often enough room to manoeuvre around obstacles, but even then, why does the mine launcher exist if it's always possible to avoid obstacles?

It would be quite large, at least the width & height of the average balloon, if not bigger.. but even then, it would definitely be avoidable so long as the pursuing pilot has their wits about them.

It's not necessarily something you'd deploy and just leave hoping someone hits it - it's more akin to the Tar Barrel, where you only use it in close proximity to other ships.. except it's more focused in the area it covers, and possibly just takes the engines down instantly if hit, rather than damaging the ship in general.

I do think a net gun work be interesting- like, if you hit the engines it slows the other ship down for a time?

This is the bit I haven't quite worked out yet - depends on how it fits into the general balance of the game really.. on the one hand, it would be most effective if it were capable of breaking engines outright, but on the other hand if it proves too easy to use, it might be better if it were simply to slow enemies down (or even screw up their turning ability) for a period of time.
I don't know if it's possible to apply different effects from a weapon depending on where it hits, but if it is then maybe both could be true, with only a direct hit on the engines causing them to break.
That way it could be used by pursuers to snare their targets, while escaping ships could make use of it to put some distance between them and their pursuer.

I'm also wondering if various ammo types might have some effect on how it behaves.. for example, incendiary ammo could create a flaming net that causes persistent fire damage for a few seconds in addition to the slowing effect, or heavy ammo could create a much heavier net that causes a much stronger slowing effect, but has a tendency to sink to the ground after a very short time in the air if it isn't hit.
Can't really think what the other might do..

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »
A net gun would be very helpful in taking the edge off ram-happy ships. I was actually thinking of posting this thought myself yesterday. Could be an ammo type instead, rather than a new gun. Removes most damage effects, increases hull drag.

As a bit of history lesson, the first airplane pilots did not have mounted guns. Rather, they would fire pistols and try to toss chains in the other pilot's prop.

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »
Ah, good point! I hadn't even thought of the effect it would have on ramming.. it would definitely be nice to stop some of those people in their tracks!

I'm not sure if I can see it working as an ammo type - it would be difficult to counter if put into a rapid fire gun (though I suppose the degree of drag and length of the effect could vary depending on the type and power of the weapon used). Still, it would be great if it could be made to work.. give the slower ships a chance to get the faster ones in their sights (although I suppose that's what the harpoon is for..).
How would such an effect would be conveyed to the target crew though? Unlike hitting a giant net, there wouldn't be any visible sign of what was occurring.

I wonder if making it an ammo type might make it too easy to use? At least with the net launcher it would be somewhat difficult to land the shot in the first place, and even then the target could manoeuvre away from it if they see it coming.

Interesting history lesson.. I was aware that early pilots threw things at each other, but not about the chains. I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been to land a shot like that, while also trying to fly their planes.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:49 pm »
Really? No Terminator references?

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »
Harpoons. Check. Sky Net. Check. Sky Whales... SKY WHALES!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:19:38 am »
James, this game obviously takes place after Skynet has been defeated, and all electrical technology has been banned. So, it is implied.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 12:52:26 am »
I guess you could make the gun automated and would plan where to fire it (Self-aware, Lol)

okay so imagine this... we all know there are some pilots willing to run through tar.... fire a net while they are chasing you... then tar the net and fire a few mines in the cloud.... so much pain D:

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 05:42:38 am »
okay so imagine this... we all know there are some pilots willing to run through tar.... fire a net while they are chasing you... then tar the net and fire a few mines in the cloud.... so much pain D:

...Remind me never to be on the opposing team when you're around o_O